11 March 2021 - Southern Atlantic Crossing - is this going to happen?

geordie_jim

Interested to hear views on whether this cruise will happen or not. We suspect not as this is a repositioning cruise after the Chilean Fjords , as Viking have cancelled these in Jan/Feb 2021 then it seems unlikely that Viking will send the Jupiter from it's current location (Norway) over to BA empty,  so that it can then take passengers on the Southern Atlantic crossing over to Barcelona.

Interested if anyone has information / theories on whether this cruise will go ahead or not?

Jim

1 hour ago, geordie_jim said:

Interested to hear views on whether this cruise will happen or not. We suspect not as this is a repositioning cruise after the Chilean Fjords , as Viking have cancelled these in Jan/Feb 2021 then it seems unlikely that Viking will send the Jupiter from it's current location (Norway) over to BA empty,  so that it can then take passengers on the Southern Atlantic crossing over to Barcelona.

Interested if anyone has information / theories on whether this cruise will go ahead or not?

Jim

Shaky at best IMHO. I'm not at all optimistic about our July Homelands even.

I doubt very much.  Chile just opened to US visitors via plane with a 14 day quarantine.  However Patagonia and Easter Island is not open.  And the country is not open to cruise ships.  Argentina is still closed.  I don't think SA and the Chilean Fjords will happen. And, like you said, repositioning cruises need to reposition after something.  

6 hours ago, deec said:

Fortunately we are booked for 2022!!!  Come join us!

I will echo what Dee says, as we are also on the March 2022 TA cruise.

I think Viking is "parceling" out the cancellations month by month to stagger the refunds and FCV's processing.  If this current cancellation is a guide (mid-Nov for Jan cancels), it might be mid-Jan before Viking cancels this cruise - unless of course, they do it earlier for logistical reasons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like this cruise won't be going, the UK website for Viking Ocean cruises no longer has any cruises going in Jan-March 2021. This specific cruise is no longer bookable (on the UK site) so I think that tells this particular cruise is "cancelled". 

On 11/22/2020 at 2:07 PM, geordie_jim said:

Jim

Very, very unlikely and even if it does the larger issue is whether it will be safe.  We are many months away from a vaccinated public. The vaccination effort will be historic. Even so, it will be the Fall until the vast majority are immunized. 
The SeaDream failure despite planning speaks volumes. 

Edited by rbslos18

On 12/7/2020 at 4:47 PM, geordie_jim said:

Well it looks like this cruise won't be going, the UK website for Viking Ocean cruises no longer has any cruises going in Jan-March 2021. This specific cruise is no longer bookable (on the UK site) so I think that tells this particular cruise is "cancelled". 

And now it confirmed, all cruises are cancelled up to the end of March 2021. Viking have updated the website under my trips , updates on current sailings as at December 8th to reflect this.

We got the email cancelling all Viking cruises thru 3.31.2021 and some into April tho they didn’t note which ones.  We were scheduled on 10 March, Northern Lights tho we knew we would not be going just waiting for the official word.  After 3 cruises being cancelled this year for us, it was no surprise.

We’re still undecided about taking the 125% voucher or a cash refund as we’ve done with the others.