Carnival Giving Up on Ft. Lauderdale?

Roz

There are no cruises from Ft. Lauderdale showing on the Carnival website.  What's up with that?  I know Carnival announced that initially they'll be sailing short cruises from Miami and Pt. Canaveral, but I assumed cruises would eventually resume from Pt. Everglades.  

It's a lot easier for me and less expensive to fly into FLL as opposed to MIA.  I know there are shuttles, but it's an added step and more money.

I was asking about Carnival, not CCL.  I realize Princess and HAL have plans to sail from Ft. Lauderdale, which is why I was asking.  There's nothing in 2022 or 2023, so immediate future must have a different meaning to them. 😎

1 minute ago, Roz said:

I was asking about Carnival, not CCL.  I realize Princess and HAL have plans to sail from Ft. Lauderdale, which is why I was asking.  There's nothing in 2022 or 2023, so immediate future must have a different meaning to them. 😎

As I said, they have concentrated on the first two homeports in their return to sea.  This is not a 3 or 4 month thing but 12 to 24 months.  They will return to most home ports (including FLL) in time.  

John Heald indicated three or four months ago (when the Breeze got cancelled out of FLL and moved to Canaveral) that Carnival Cruise Line was withdrawing from FLL for the foreseeable future - this was a move independent of the recent choice to focus on just Canaveral and Miami for restarting operations.

Similar to their withdrawal from San Juan (as a departure port).  

It could come back, eventually, but not immediately after when things return to "normal" (or whatever we'll call the future operations), it will be much later for FLL.

That is as far as I remember, etc.  YMMV.

• Like 1

I have flown into FLL and cruised out of Miami a couple of times.  While it definitely adds some travel time, I found that uber made it as quick as possible and less expensive.  When I got an uber at the Miami port, he showed up in five minutes and it was a quick drive to the FLL airport.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have flown into FLL and cruised out of Miami a couple of times.  While it definitely adds some travel time, I found that uber made it as quick as possible and less expensive.  When I got an uber at the Miami port, he showed up in five minutes and it was a quick drive to the FLL airport.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Good point, we have taken an Uber from FLL to Miami and back many times.  We usually just look for the cheapest flights and consider both airports to be somewhat equal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

We did that once too.  Took an uber to the port. On the way home, we rented a car for the day and drove ourselves to Fort Lauderdale. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I’d choose FLL over MIA whenever possible. If it weren’t for long-haul international flights, I’d never fly from Miami. It’s just so simple and convenient when flying from FLL and PBI.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Roz said:

There are no cruises from Ft. Lauderdale showing on the Carnival website.  What's up with that?  I know Carnival announced that initially they'll be sailing short cruises from Miami and Pt. Canaveral, but I assumed cruises would eventually resume from Pt. Everglades.  

It's a lot easier for me and less expensive to fly into FLL as opposed to MIA.  I know there are shuttles, but it's an added step and more money.

SWA has added MIA as a destination so I would expect fares to drop to MIA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Roz said:

If you fly in the day before,  hotels are cheaper in FLL.  If you fly in the day of, shuttles are 15.00 from FLL to Miami cruise port. There is no added step, you either fly in the day before, stay in a hotel and take a shuttle, cab or uber to the port.  If you fly in the morning of, the hotel stay is eliminated.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

SWA has added MIA as a destination so I would expect fares to drop to MIA

I didn't know that...but who's flying anywhere these days?  I'll have to check it out.  Thanks for the info.

5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you fly in the day before,  hotels are cheaper in FLL.  If you fly in the day of, shuttles are 15.00 from FLL to Miami cruise port. There is no added step, you either fly in the day before, stay in a hotel and take a shuttle, cab or uber to the port.  If you fly in the morning of, the hotel stay is eliminated.  

I never fly in the day of.     

On 11/24/2020 at 6:11 AM, Roz said:

I didn't know that...but who's flying anywhere these days?   

53 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Lots of people.

Haven't you seen the news?  Over 1 million people were processed through airports the other day, the most for 1 day since March.  And it'll be worse on Sunday, which is the busiest travel day of the year since everybody that chose different travel days for Thanksgiving on the front end all go home on Sunday

On 11/23/2020 at 8:22 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I looked at that angle on my now canceled cruise out of Miami. I like Spirit which flies out of FLL but not MIA. The way I figured it the Guber from and to FLL would've eaten up all of the savings from flying out of FLL. Plus the stress of getting to FLL in time for the flight. I haven't had the best experiences with debarkation day Gubers in Fort Lauderdale and Long Beach.  So I just booked American to Miami... And a Comfort Suites that had an airport and cruise port shuttle. I like to think it would've been a nice trip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I looked at that angle on my now canceled cruise out of Miami. I like Spirit which flies out of FLL but not MIA. The way I figured it the Guber from and to FLL would've eaten up all of the savings from flying out of FLL. Plus the stress of getting to FLL in time for the flight. I haven't had the best experiences with debarkation day Gubers in Fort Lauderdale and Long Beach.  So I just booked American to Miami... And a Comfort Suites that had an airport and cruise port shuttle. I like to think it would've been a nice trip.

What's a Guber? We don't fly much.