Will the cruise lines follow the QANTAS lead on vaccination policy?

SelectSys

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Look I am just commenting on human nature, they don't get the flu shot now. 

But again just like Measles you are comparing it to something that has not shut down the world. Very few people have remained unaffected and people will want to get back to normal. Even people under 30 have had their lifestyles affected especially with a number of industries like hospitality that employ a lot of under 30s being shut down. People tend to remember their negative experiences far more than their positive and if a vaccine is a way to prevent such disruptions to their lives than under 30s will be lining up with the over 60s.

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

But again just like Measles you are comparing it to something that has not shut down the world. Very few people have remained unaffected and people will want to get back to normal. Even people under 30 have had their lifestyles affected especially with a number of industries like hospitality that employ a lot of under 30s being shut down. People tend to remember their negative experiences far more than their positive and if a vaccine is a way to prevent such disruptions to their lives than under 30s will be lining up with the over 60s.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have been struck through my life how quickly people forget and move on.  I think it is a coping mechanism 

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Our school board will not admit students who have not various vaccinations.

Parents have a choice.  Home school or vaccination.  I expect that it will be much the same with travel vendors.

Is that rule from your local school board, or is it a state law?

Local school board.   We live in Canada.  Not at all uncommon, to my knowledge, in other school boards in our Province and in our country.    We have had far too many measles outbreaks where we live.  People got tired of it and this has been the result. Same with all the others such as polio and I anticipate that it will be the same with covid.  

Liberty and freedom is not an issue.  People simply make a choice for themselves and their children.  And live with those decisions.

Edited by iancal

9 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Not yet state "law" - but required by state executive order in NY -- and upheld by courts, and soon to be enacted into law --as is virtually certain when it comes to covid vaccination.

You have to wonder now what will happen if there is a court case that gets to the Supreme Court given its now solid conservative majority. They might rule very differently than the state courts in NY,

Supreme Court relieves religious organizations from some covid-related restrictions (msn.com)

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You have to wonder now what will happen if there is a court case that gets to the Supreme Court given its now solid conservative majority. They might rule very differently than the state courts in NY,

Supreme Court relieves religious organizations from some covid-related restrictions (msn.com)

There is a difference between simply requiring vaccines - which I believe most courts would question,  and permitting schools to make rules for the protection of students - which I believe most courts would accept.

• Like 1

Here is the opposite.  My wife's church has been on high alert for some time.  Huge church but only 50 allowed in at any one time.   Masks and distancing. No choir.  Also on line for the past six months or so.

We are experiencing a severe covid outbreak in our area at the moment.  Her church announced yesterday, post partial local lockdown announcement, that they are cancelling all services until Jan 15 to protect the health and well being of their congregation.   

Smart people, savvy organizations, good retailers take leadership roles in times like these.   The others, well they put on display for all to see how little they care or how foolish or selfish they really are.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, iancal said:

Here is the opposite.  My wife's church has been on high alert for some time.  Huge church but only 50 allowed in at any one time.   Masks and distancing. No choir.  Also on line for the past six months or so.

We are experiencing a severe covid outbreak in our area at the moment.  Her church announced yesterday, post partial local lockdown announcement, that they are cancelling all services until Jan 15 to protect the health and well being of their congregation.   

Smart people, savvy organizations, good retailers take leadership roles in times like these.   The others, well they put on display for all to see how little they care or how foolish or selfish they really are.

My wife's Church is cancelled indefinitely. Not by the state, but by the Archbishop who put out the order. Before that when it was open, there was limited attendance with masks and social distancing. The only music was the organ player.

She "goes" to services online at another Church, actually the one she went to growing up (around 130 miles away).

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We will have to agree to disagree. I have been struck through my life how quickly people forget and move on.  I think it is a coping mechanism 

Yes - but by how many serious, world-wide pandemics have you “...been struck through your life...”?   People tend to remember truly extraordinary events.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My wife's Church is cancelled indefinitely. Not by the state, but by the Archbishop who put out the order. Before that when it was open, there was limited attendance with masks and social distancing. The only music was the organ player.

She "goes" to services online at another Church, actually the one she went to growing up (around 130 miles away).

Our church is down to well below 10% - only every third pew not roped off , and those open just at the far ends -No singing

England is in lockdown, so all churches are locked, apart from an hour or so every week for private prayer, which must be staffed and all precautions taken.

Next Wednesday lockdown ends, and our county goes into Tier Two, which means we can open for some services with no more than 30 people, and under strict rules. Hopefully this will allow some services over Christmas.

Weddings will be allowed with 15 people present, and funerals with 30.

People announce when the hearse will leave the house, and neighbours and friends line the roads as the deceased goes by.

Personally, if you bought into the entire shutdown of the world, you need to buy into mandatory vaccination. Instead of trying to battle the testing BS, cruise lines are better off forcing vaccinations to cruise. Since the first cruises will be limited in capacity, requiring vaccination is more practical. If you are vaccinated by something the FDA approved, the CDC would have no grounds to argue it. Then, all testing is a moot point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

It depends on when the first cruises are. If only healthcare workers, old and sick are vaccinated requiring vaccination may be a very big problem.

And of course the crews on cruise ships are also not among the highest priority categories of people to first receive the vaccine.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And of course the crews on cruise ships are also not among the highest priority categories of people to first receive the vaccine.

Not according to US recommended policies. But as the cruise lines are registered in other countries, they may be able to procure vaccines through other supply chains we are not aware of in the US. There are vaccines being tested in many other countries right now.

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

It depends on when the first cruises are. If only healthcare workers, old and sick are vaccinated requiring vaccination may be a very big problem.

Essential workers and workers who deal with the public will be prioritized too. In any case the cruise companies will manage to secure the vaccine. They probably already have optioned a supply in advance. Also it is likely the first cruises are  not going to be until vaccines are available. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not according to US recommended policies. But as the cruise lines are registered in other countries, they may be able to procure vaccines through other supply chains we are not aware of in the US. There are vaccines being tested in many other countries right now.

Do you think that they will try to get the vaccine from the countries they are registered in? Or will they try from the countries of crew members? There is such a diverse mix of countries that crew members come from.

5 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Only a problem of timing -- which has always been the case.  Cruising will restart when it is no longer irresponsible to let it start. Once responsible authorities have decided it is safe, it will be permitted to start.  That may mean that it may restart in some areas before others.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is creating a "health passport" app called IATA "Travel Pass" to show the holder has been vax'd prior to boarding.  Pilot-testing will begin this coming spring.

Maybe be the CLIA will join in on this. 

Edited by Philob

42 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Do you think that they will try to get the vaccine from the countries they are registered in? Or will they try from the countries of crew members? There is such a diverse mix of countries that crew members come from.

Cruise lines being what they are will vax the crew and dock their pay for the cost 😣 

10 minutes ago, Philob said:

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is creating a "health passport" app called IATA "Travel Pass" to show the holder has been vax'd prior to boarding.  Pilot-testing will begin this coming spring.

Maybe be the CLIA will join in on this. 

If "Pilot-testing" wont begin until spring, it indicates that actual cruising - which may depend upon the development of such a "health passport" - isn't likely to start before autumn - or summer at the earliest.  

Realistic, I think, but disappointing for those who hope to be sailing before July at the earliest.

Edited by navybankerteacher
typo