More “Bad News” for the Cruise Industry.

stevenr597

We must realize that until an effective vaccine is out and being administered to the public, the Cruise Industry will not be able to resume any type of cruising.  Probably the best we can hope for is that cruising, with a bit of luck will resume during the late Spring or early Summer.  

CDC Raises Warning for Cruise Ship Travel to Highest Level (cruisecritic.com)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally feel cruise lines recognize this.  Thats the reason you see the continued cancellations.  They fully understand that a large outbreak on a ship would have dire consequences for the industry.  They want a vaccine even more than we might.  

I'm a bit of a news hound, so I can't remember which epidemiologists  have heard say this, but at least two have said that vaccines don't save lives, vaccinations do, and that we shouldn't think of a vaccine as a light switch; the effects won't be immediate. We should think of vaccines as a dimmer switch; we still need to continue with diligent mitigation measures until enough of us are vaccinated.

Each of these statements make perfect sense to me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think this says it all

But with coronavirus still running rampant across the US (the person who brought COVID-19 onto SeaDream I was a US citizen) it looks unlikely that cruising will restart from the US in earnest anytime soon.

Let us hope cruising can begin it other parts of the world late 2021  not under the CDC

for the other 50% of the cruise market......

Don

1 hour ago, getting older slowly said:

I think this says it all

But with coronavirus still running rampant across the US (the person who brought COVID-19 onto SeaDream I was a US citizen) it looks unlikely that cruising will restart from the US in earnest anytime soon.

And in much of Europe.

• Like 2

Not a surprise. Not "Bad News" from the CDC, the bad news has been and will continue to be the virus itself. The CDC is just reminding people in a strong way that the pandemic continues everywhere, and cruise ships pose one of the highest risks. I can't think of another leisure or business activity that would have a greater risk of spreading the Covid virus. We are booked in 2022 and hopefully will be able to travel then. If not we are prepared to wait it out.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, skynight said:

Not a surprise. Not "Bad News" from the CDC, the bad news has been and will continue to be the virus itself. The CDC is just reminding people in a strong way that the pandemic continues everywhere, and cruise ships pose one of the highest risks. I can't think of another leisure or business activity that would have a greater risk of spreading the Covid virus. We are booked in 2022 and hopefully will be able to travel then. If not we are prepared to wait it out.  

As already proven, at weddings, funerals, Thanksgiving family dinners (in Canada so far, yet to be in USA).

Although not directly related to Princess, Disney Cruise Lines has decided to cancel all cruises through January.  Another sign that until there is a vaccine, we cannot expect any cruise line, including Carnival owned Princess to resume anything like normal operations. 

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/brevard-county/disney-cruise-line-suspends-all-cruises-through-end-january-2021/PKNVONDGHZHYPJK33QH6O2LSY4/?utm_source=WFTV-TV%20Breaking%20News&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=62511

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm a bit of a news hound, so I can't remember which epidemiologists  have heard say this, but at least two have said that vaccines don't save lives, vaccinations do, and that we shouldn't think of a vaccine as a light switch; the effects won't be immediate. We should think of vaccines as a dimmer switch; we still need to continue with diligent mitigation measures until enough of us are vaccinated.

Each of these statements make perfect sense to me. 

How do you have vaccinations without a vaccine?

44 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Although not directly related to Princess, Disney Cruise Lines has decided to cancel all cruises through January.  Another sign that until there is a vaccine, we cannot expect any cruise line, including Carnival owned Princess to resume anything like normal operations. 

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/brevard-county/disney-cruise-line-suspends-all-cruises-through-end-january-2021/PKNVONDGHZHYPJK33QH6O2LSY4/?utm_source=WFTV-TV Breaking News&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=62511

Not sure how you made the extrapolation from this decision to requiring a vaccine.  Princess has noted that they don't intend to be able to start up cruising until late March/April, and that has nothing to do with the vaccine, but everything to do with the requirements of the CDC CSO.  Unlike many on CC, I don't see the vaccine as the panacea to cruise problems, and that even with early distribution of a vaccine, the CSO requirements will likely remain in effect, and in fact many of them will become permanent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure how you made the extrapolation from this decision to requiring a vaccine.  Princess has noted that they don't intend to be able to start up cruising until late March/April, and that has nothing to do with the vaccine, but everything to do with the requirements of the CDC CSO.  Unlike many on CC, I don't see the vaccine as the panacea to cruise problems, and that even with early distribution of a vaccine, the CSO requirements will likely remain in effect, and in fact many of them will become permanent.

Vaccines have been required for many of my past cruises for various locations.  I would be very surprised if countries would open up their ports to ships without proof of vaccination 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, NMCruiser55 said:

Vaccines won't work if people won't get vaccinated.

When my patient tells me that they will not have the vaccine for COVID when available, I tell them that we do need "Placebo's" to assess how well the vaccine will work. When they think about that and what is means, most change their minds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

No the Vaccine will not be a "Panacea" but without a vaccine, I cannot see any cruise lines having anything approaching normal or near normal conditions.  Even with a vaccine, I do feel that at least initially, there will be requirements in regards to number of people on board, frequent hand washing, do away with self-service stations in the buffet, and probably requirements that one wears a mask in certain areas. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Princess has already cancelled all cruises until the end of March, and some further out than that. Normal operations will return when the virus is under control around most of the world. A vaccine will lead to control.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, skynight said:

Princess has already cancelled all cruises until the end of March, and some further out than that. Normal operations will return when the virus is under control around most of the world. A vaccine will lead to control.

Yes, all Princess cruises are now cancelled 'til April and and many until later....

1 hour ago, antsp said:

You can guarantee, if you don’t have the vaccine, you will not be allowed on a cruise ship

This is absolutely true, you won't be allowed on a cruise ship, or a commercial flight anywhere on the planet without getting the vaccine. That's the whole idea.

Don't get the phoney baloney Coronascam vaccine you get to stay home sit on the couch drink 2-liters of any soda of your choice, eat ham and cheese sandwiches and do nothing. Later Todd

• Haha 1