River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

@dogs4fun

Thanks for sharing, as painful as it may be. It just does not feel right. Exactly as the article says.

I am busy, off to work soon, having been reassigned in the absence of tourists to a local Advent project. Got a phone call yesterday to tell me I have been reassigned again, due to current restrictions. Now in a different assignment but also Advent. Will have twinkling lights around me at least...

Stay healthy everyone.

notamermaid

• Like 3

A busy weekend ahead for me - after a busy day making other people happy. Tomorrow I will make myself happy doing shopping for family and myself while I still can freely and Sunday I will hopefully devote to a private project, but also some festive lights photos. Things are looking terrible elsewhere but not too good here either.

But, let us look at some positive stuff, so here are some nice stories: https://www.dw.com/en/icymi-stories-to-put-a-smile-on-your-face/a-55907382

notamermaid

• Like 1

12 hours ago, notamermaid said:

@dogs4fun

Thanks for sharing, as painful as it may be. It just does not feel right. Exactly as the article says.

I am busy, off to work soon, having been reassigned in the absence of tourists to a local Advent project. Got a phone call yesterday to tell me I have been reassigned again, due to current restrictions. Now in a different assignment but also Advent. Will have twinkling lights around me at least...

Stay healthy everyone.

notamermaid

Are you dressing up as Santa's Elf?

35 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Are you dressing up as Santa's Elf?

Ha ha, not quite but I was going to put on a Christmas hat. I was going to help with a Christmas gift bag delivery service for seniors but restrictions forced the authorities to put me in a different team. The new assignment meant I needed to reduce the outfit a bit, but I put on a Christmas jumper to put me in a festive mood to work with customers. Worked well.

notamermaid

I just finished watching “Let Them All Talk” - currently showing on HBOMax. It was filmed aboard the QM2 and stars Meryl Streep, Candice Bergen, Dianne Wiest & Lucas Hedges. Lovely story, IMHO, & I highly recommend watching the film.

Edited by dogs4fun

It gives me Faith that things will be alright, not the same as a year ago, but a new normal we will be more than happy to live with.   10 days from now is the winter solstice and daylight hours will increase and since my body runs on solar energy it can only get better.

• Like 3

That is a gorgeous sunset. Too bad they happen so early these days! I too am feeling like a solar creature these days.

The lack of daylight is really kicking me hard this year. I think oddly enough, that it's partly due to the lack of cold and snow. My mind doesn't think it's really December because it's 40-50 degrees out. Therefore I can't wrap my head around darkness starting at 4PM. Whatever it is, December 21st will be here soon so the days will get longer again.

The other part is of course the lack of travel. In recent years we'd often gone to the Southern Hemisphere for a week or two during our winter. That extra sunlight made such a difference.

It's been a busy week in the ICU here so I've not been cooking as much. I've been getting home late and just throwing something together. On Monday I made lomo saltado. It's a quick Peruvian stir-fry that we enjoyed while traveling there, and luckily I found a simple recipe. It's really tasty and doesn't take long to cook. I used some skirt steak.

The beef slices get marinated with olive oil, coriander (the ground spice), cumin, and garlic for a few minutes. Stir-fry the whole mess with red onions.

20201207_182912.thumb.jpg.e82732dbf840a7e4ba4a6ad2ec62089a.jpg

Add tomatoes, cook a minute longer until a little saucy, then fold in some French Fries. I made homemade fries in the air fryer while the steak marinated. But you can use frozen premade fries if you want.

20201207_183501.thumb.jpg.ca0120756d34ac4c3283b52de6fc9e25.jpg

Serve over rice. Pickled jalapeno peppers optional. You're supposed to add chopped cilantro but I didn't have any, so parsley had to stand it.

20201207_183940.thumb.jpg.97cef8330ba4c6e350f4ac53f1bce97b.jpg

As far as other spices - black pepper adds a lot but it can also go with soy sauce if you want a more oriental flavor ala Nikkei cuisine. Peru has great food.

Early to bed tonight. Working tomorrow... Good night all.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 2

Here is Midwest US - we had record highs this week (mid-60's) and then 4" of snow Friday night. We were all enjoying the mild November and December up until now. It still isn't too bad now. Hope the rest of the season stays mild.

I have one more week of work and then I am home for 3 weeks.

Back to Kringle discussion. I took out the cheesecake Kringle I bought at Trader Joes a few months ago and it is just ok. It needs more flavor like a combination of cream cheese and raspberry or strawberry. I have an almond one for Christmas in the freezer.

Edited by Coral

13 hours ago, jpalbny said:

It's been a busy week in the ICU here so I've not been cooking as much. I've been getting home late and just throwing something together. On Monday I made lomo saltado. It's a quick Peruvian stir-fry that we enjoyed while traveling there, and luckily I found a simple recipe. It's really tasty and doesn't take long to cook. I used some skirt steak.

If you are working in an ICU - I just want to say "Thank you!" A friend was recently in ICU due to COVID and she went home on Friday (after rehab). So thankful to all those working in healthcare now!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Coral said:

Here is Midwest US - we had record highs this week (mid-60's) and then 4" of snow Friday night. We were all enjoying the mild November and December up until now. It still isn't too bad now. Hope the rest of the season stays mild.

I have one more week of work and then I am home for 3 weeks.

I am thinking that we both live in a similar area of the country. I am located in the western section of the US and our weather was also in the 60s a mere six days ago. Unfortunately, my body can’t acclimated to wild temperature fluctuations in a short amount of time & I now feel uncomfortably cold. Thus, no pleasant strolls through the park with my furry friends until the temperature is a little more mild.

Hope this next week of work flies by quickly for you. 😊

27 minutes ago, Coral said:

I so want to go back next year to the Markets.

I read yesterday that Uniworld is offering a special "recreate" (my word) Christmas market cruise in July. No markets in towns of course, but the ship decked out festively with biscuit baking lesson (if I remember correctly) and Christmas shop on the ship. Weird, but why not. After all, there are Christmas shops in a few towns that are open almost the whole year.

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I am thinking that we both live in a similar area of the country. I am located in the western section of the US and our weather was also in the 60s a mere six days ago. Unfortunately, my body can’t acclimated to wild temperature fluctuations in a short amount of time & I now feel uncomfortably cold. Thus, no pleasant strolls through the park with my furry friends until the temperature is a little more mild.

Hope this next week of work flies by quickly for you. 😊

I live in Lincoln, NE. We were high 60's on Tuesday and Wednesday. Snow Friday. We do have the wild temperature fluctuations. 

I no longer have a furry friend but she used to love the 30's and 40's with snow. Especially fresh before it became hard. She was a German Shepherd and with that double coat of fur - she loved this time (hated summer). Though she did not tolerate the really cold (and would not wear shoes). She was quite talented doing a 3 legged walk switching legs. 

23 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I read yesterday that Uniworld is offering a special "recreate" (my word) Christmas market cruise in July. No markets in towns of course, but the ship decked out festively with biscuit baking lesson (if I remember correctly) and Christmas shop on the ship. Weird, but why not. After all, there are Christmas shops in a few towns that are open almost the whole year.

notamermaid

I saw that and wasn't interested. I want the real markets!

I would prefer to visit Europe in fall/winter and not during the busy (and sometimes hot) summer. 

Thanks @notamermaid, but we will wait until we can again experience the ‘real deal’. I love all the authentic trappings of the markets.

Our most recent visit to Budapest was during late November & early December. The weather was absolutely perfect for visiting sights & enjoying the Vorosmarty Christmas market. 

I love the German markets - Dresden is wonderful & there are several markets from which to choose. My favorite is the Trier market - spectacular, IMHO.

There is light at the end of the tunnel - we need only hang in there a little longer  😊

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Coral said:

I saw that and wasn't interested. I want the real markets!

I would prefer to visit Europe in fall/winter and not during the busy (and sometimes hot) summer. 

Yep, not for me either. I think I would not be able to enjoy the warm weather that accompanies a July cruise and pretend it is Advent. But some people I am sure do not mind.

I am having fun without a market. Not ideal, but is okay. As long as my English Christmas stuff and my presents arrive on time for Christmas Eve...

notamermaid

• Like 1

It's looking like we may not be having a white Christmas here this year.  Temps are dropping today (started off at 7C, dropped to 1C by lunchtime), and we did get a dusting of snow, but then rain overtop.  We were hoping to go see the lights with snow to enhance the experience, but I guess maybe not this year.

I agree with the others, Christmas at the hottest time of the year just doesn't seem right.  Part of our enjoyable memories are the foods, and when it's hot, I just don't feel like the heavier winter foods.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Coral said:

I live in Lincoln, NE. We were high 60's on Tuesday and Wednesday. Snow Friday. We do have the wild temperature fluctuations. 

I no longer have a furry friend but she used to love the 30's and 40's with snow. Especially fresh before it became hard. She was a German Shepherd and with that double coat of fur - she loved this time (hated summer). Though she did not tolerate the really cold (and would not wear shoes). She was quite talented doing a 3 legged walk switching legs. 

Hahaha, reminds me of our family cat (the female one) many years ago. The expression on her face and her reaction the first time she walked in snow was priceless. 😁 

notamermaid

• Like 1