Insure and Go Credit To Be Refunded

I received an email from Insure and Go late this afternoon which said that if you have a credit with them they will now refund it. With all the uncertainty around re overseas travel we decided to ask for the refund. It will be interesting to see how quickly the refund takes to process and hit our bank.

Leigh

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I received an email from Insure and Go late this afternoon which said that if you have a credit with them they will now refund it. With all the uncertainty around re overseas travel we decided to ask for the refund. It will be interesting to see how quickly the refund takes to process and hit our bank.

Leigh

That is good news.  Whilst my friend still hasn't got a refund from Air Canada for their business class airfares to Canada, they got a refund from their insurer immediately.  

• Like 1

We took out an annual policy in early January which has been deferred by Insure and Go, effective from mid-March so around 10 months remaining. The deal was that this would then carry on once re-activated. We got the email as well with the choice of getting a refund or sticking with the deferral. We going to stick with the deferral. I suspect travel insurance will go up in future so we should be covered for those 10 months at the old prices. I'm very happy with that deal.

Reactivation happens either by request or when the government opens the borders to international travel I think. Hopefully that will coincide with cruising restarting.

11 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

We took out our Insure and Go annual policy in July last year but we didn’t get an email with an offer of refund 

Initially they weren't offering refunds on the annual policies, just deferrals. You should have got the option to do that way back. But if you didn't choose to do that then your annual policy would have expired as usual.

7 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

We took out our Insure and Go annual policy in July last year but we didn’t get an email with an offer of refund 

Did you ask Insure and Go to refund your policy or for a credit? Have you travelled already during the period of youe policy? As we hadn't used our policy and couldn't claim any of our cancelled travel because it was purchased after Covid hit, a refund was refused but they finally gave a credit voucher to expire in September '21. We ok with that but when we received their email yesterday we decided to take their offer of a refund as we don't know if and when we will travel overseas again.

I would contact Insure and Go and speak to them.

Leigh

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Initially they weren't offering refunds on the annual policies, just deferrals. You should have got the option to do that way back. But if you didn't choose to do that then your annual policy would have expired as usual.

We chose the deferral 

Thanks for the heads up Leigh,

I went online and claimed the refund through my account. It looks like it will take about 4- 5 weeks before it hits my bank account but better than not getting anything back at all. Odd pro rata calculations, worked out roughly 30 percent of our money back.

I got the email last week and applied and the money is in my account this morning.  Yes only about 30 percent of the cost but since I don't intend to insure with them again I will take what I can get.  When I first cancelled in March they promised me it all back as a credit but then changed their mind.

47 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I got the email last week and applied and the money is in my account this morning.  Yes only about 30 percent of the cost but since I don't intend to insure with them again I will take what I can get.  When I first cancelled in March they promised me it all back as a credit but then changed their mind.

Ondine, when you say they promised the full amount as a credit, how long after did they change their mind and if I may ask, was it only the 30% you ended up being refunded? 

Our credit voucher was for about 85% of what we paid. When I applied for the refund, it came up as the same amount we had as the credit voucher. So are you saying you only received 30% of what your original credit was or your credit was 30% of what you paid?

Thanks,

Leigh

Son and I arrived back on Sat 14th Mar from NZ to find that Princess had cancelled our cruise for 23rd March.  I called Insure & Go on the Monday to cancel the insurances and was told that my son who's policy I had taken out in December could have a full refund (Princess had already promised refund of fare) and I who had taken my policy out on Feb 2nd could have a full credit toward future cruise valid till August 16th.  Because I am over 70 I could not use it at the time because I came under their 120 days prior rule so they said it would sit in my account.

It took around 4 weeks and many phone calls to get son's premium back.  However when I checked my account around 6 weeks later I found that they were only going to give me $66 out of $215.  This was after the tsunami of cancellations had occurred.  I contacted them and complained but it was "take it or leave it".  So I am not impressed as over the years we have spent thousands of dollars with them and never made a claim.  I wont deal with them again.

3 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Son and I arrived back on Sat 14th Mar from NZ to find that Princess had cancelled our cruise for 23rd March.  I called Insure & Go on the Monday to cancel the insurances and was told that my son who's policy I had taken out in December could have a full refund (Princess had already promised refund of fare) and I who had taken my policy out on Feb 2nd could have a full credit toward future cruise valid till August 16th.  Because I am over 70 I could not use it at the time because I came under their 120 days prior rule so they said it would sit in my account.

It took around 4 weeks and many phone calls to get son's premium back.  However when I checked my account around 6 weeks later I found that they were only going to give me $66 out of $215.  This was after the tsunami of cancellations had occurred.  I contacted them and complained but it was "take it or leave it".  So I am not impressed as over the years we have spent thousands of dollars with them and never made a claim.  I wont deal with them again.

Thanks Ondine. Was $66 the amount you received? That's not good at all.We have always had good service and also have claimed once without a problem.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

Yes $66 in total.  I am over it and just want to put it all behind me.  I was angry at the time but that was months ago.  I figure $66 is better than nothing.  Compared to many we have got off lightly.  I know like the cruise companies they were not prepared for this pandemic but neither were we.

10 minutes ago, Ondine said:

How long was the 23rd March cruise supposed to be?

What people forget to take into consideration is that once you take out travel insurance you are covered from that date, not just from the departure date of your trip. That's probably why you only got a partial refund. After all if you insure your house contents for a year against theft you can't claim a refund because nothing got stolen that year.

Interesting comments about Insure and Go which I have only used once or twice. I took out a policy with Australia Post TI in December last year for our April cruise . When Princess cancelled the cruise on the Sun Princess I cancelled the insurance policy and got a pro rata refund of 75% back which is stated in their PDS. The refund took a few weeks before it appeared in my bank account. Low and be hold I got an email from AP TI a few months back stating that because the trip was cancelled as a result of Covid I was entitled to a refund of the balance of the premium I had paid  (25%) and requesting bank account details which I provided after checking with their call centre in case it was a scam. Although the refund took a bit to come through I was quite pleased when the amount appeared on my bank statement.

I have used AP TI for most of our trips and IF we are able to do another I won't hesitate to use them again for travel insurance.

• Thanks 1

The trip was 14 nights.  I was originally told that because I hadn't made any claim I would get a full credit which was not honoured.  Thus I was a bit miffed.

I do understand that you are covered from the time you purchase the policy although it also states that you are covered from the time you leave home which is a bit ambiguous.

In the past they have redated a policy when I received a move over offer.  Times are different now.

5 hours ago, Raelsgrant said:

Thanks for the heads up Leigh,

I went online and claimed the refund through my account. It looks like it will take about 4- 5 weeks before it hits my bank account but better than not getting anything back at all. Odd pro rata calculations, worked out roughly 30 percent of our money back.

I’ve just received the refund message. We get back $645. I wouldn’t use them again either.

Edited by cruisine21

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

How long was the 23rd March cruise supposed to be?

What people forget to take into consideration is that once you take out travel insurance you are covered from that date, not just from the departure date of your trip. That's probably why you only got a partial refund. After all if you insure your house contents for a year against theft you can't claim a refund because nothing got stolen that year.

I agree Julie, I wasn;t even going to contact Insure and Go re a refund until I read on here that someone had asked fro a refund. I didn't ever expect to get anything back as I believed the coverage was from the time you bought it. As we weren't out of pocket for cruise, accommodation or flights I think we are fortunate that we even get part of our policy cost back. I have read that some insurance companies were redusing even credits. As that was was some months ago I don't know if the situation has changed.

Leigh

Hi Leigh,

Can I ask please if your policy was an Annual one or single trip please. 

Mine was a single trip and when I asked for a refund on two different occasions I was told I could only receive a credit voucher.

I very much doubt we will ever cruise again and will be unable to use it.

Cheers Anne

3 minutes ago, kent05 said:

Hi Leigh,

Can I ask please if your policy was an Annual one or single trip please. 

Mine was a single trip and when I asked for a refund on two different occasions I was told I could only receive a credit voucher.

I very much doubt we will ever cruise again and will be unable to use it.

Cheers Anne

Our policy was a single trip one Anne. As I said above, I was happy to have a credit as I didn't expect even that. I received an email last Thursday saying that I could have a refund on the credit we were given.

Were you given a credit voucher? If so and didn't receive the email I would contact them.

This is the email - 

Hi Leigh,

We continue to closely monitor the impact of COVID-19 and the extension of travel bans to both International and Domestic travel. As a result, we have recently updated our customer support measures.

You are now able to obtain a refund of any InsureandGo credit vouchers or deferral scheme previously approved. The amount of the refund may be full or partial depending on your circumstances and the policy type.

If you would like to apply for the refund please click on the link below and follow the instructions:

Request a refund

Leigh

• Like 1