International Travelers May Need to get Virus Vaccinations

Taters

24 minutes ago, kazu said:

My foggy, fuzzy crystal ball sees proof of vaccine required to fly, cruise, stay in a hotel, etc.

Yes, the topic header should read WILL need to get a vaccine instead of MAY need to get a vaccine.

7 minutes ago, Hflors said:

What about people who have already had the virus???

You are assuming that they will have immunity (I hope so but still uncertain).  You are also assuming that the immunity will last beyond a few months (again unknown).  You are also assuming that this virus will not mutate to a form to which you are no longer immune.

So, I guess the answer to your question is ...maybe?  more data needed.

24 minutes ago, Hflors said:

What about people who have already had the virus???

From what is known so far and what I have heard, the immunity is very short lived.  People who have had the virus have re-contracted it several months later.  I don’t know for sure, but I suspect we will find the vaccine has to be a yearly one - similar to the flu vaccine.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Yes, the topic header should read WILL need to get a vaccine instead of MAY need to get a vaccine.

I used the word "may" as I was quoting ABC news.  Why would I suggest that this is already set in stone when the article does not reflect that?  I'm not here to start rumors, but simply to share information.

Edited by Taters
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone really think that countries like Australia or New Zealand are going to let boatloads of North Americans enter their country with no proof of covid vaccination?   My guess is that it will be a basic requirement just like a passport.  At least for a few years.  I doubt that anyone will take your word that you have had covid in the past and are thus protected.

And...if you do not wan to get the vaccine then select a vacation that does not require this certification.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will definitely get the vaccine when it is available to us.  I also think that many countries will require a proof of a vaccine before entering.  Our son is a medical provider and had covid.  We were talking about immunity and he said perhaps there is a 6 month immunity but that isn't determined yet.  Still too early to tell.  I think there is still a lot to learn about this whole situation and that information changes rapidly.  Just praying for a fall in the number of cases.  So grateful for all the frontline worker that put their lives on the line everyday.  

• Like 4

A challenge I see is that so far the first 2 vaccines seem to suppress Covid symptoms, and have not been determined to reduce Covid infections.  If that is the case, a vaccinated person could still spread the disease.  The Astra Zenica vaccine does seem to reduce infections.  That is what we need to increase herd immunity.  Not sure if travelers will be required to certify which vaccine they have been given.

Roy

• Like 1

I disagree with the person who said an antibody test wouldn't cut it.  Why not?  Getting a vaccine doesn't guarantee immunity either, none of them will be 100% effective.   I don't think it's been proven that immunity only lasts 6 months in those that have had it.  People who had the SARS virus 17 years ago still have immunity to that virus.  I'm not going to pretend to know all the science but I think a lot has to do with your 't-cells' remembering the virus and creating antibodies to fight it should you be exposed.

In any case I'm sure they'll be a lot more on this in the coming months.

Just as an aside, my husband and I are in the Astra Zenica vaccine trial and have had our first shot. They are still looking for volunteers throughout the US so if you're interested go on their website to look at locations.  Of course you won't know for sure if you got the placebo or the real deal but part of the agreement for participating is that if the vaccine is approved and you got the placebo they will give you the real thing - assuming supplies are available.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

... maybe but I would anticipate the opposite: 

That, in addition to cruise lines, airlines, theatres,  arenas and other places which bring large numbers of people into close proximity may require proof of vaccination. And, if they don't initially, they will the first time they are successfully sued by the family of someone who dies of suffers long-term serious consequences as a result of being infected in such an environment.

There's no right to get on a plane or enter a cinema. 

Edited by voyageur9
typos
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

... maybe but I would anticipate the opposite: 

That, in addition to cruise lines, airlines, theatres,  arenas and other places which bring large numbers of people into close proximity may require proof of vaccination. And, if they don't initially, they will the first time they are successfully sued by the family of someone who dies of suffers long-term serious consequences as a result of being infected in such an environment.

There's no right to get on a plane or enter a cinema. 

That is a good point.  If a business undertakes to ensure your safety by mandating a vaccine they may incur liability also.  Interesting thought.  

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think cruise lines will require it but the rest will be destination mandated.  You can fly, stay in hotels, drive, train now without a vaccine.  I don't see that changing unless you cross an international border

4 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is a good point.  If a business undertakes to ensure your safety by mandating a vaccine they may incur liability also.  Interesting thought.  

Airlines, like other 'common carriers' are held to a higher standard which requires them the provide safe passage. Knowingly allowing an unvaccinated person on board once a highly-effective vaccine is available would be very risky business practice.  Anti-vaxxers can anticipate be banned from flying, going to the theatre, and (maybe) even dining in a restaurant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, voyageur9 said:

Airlines, like other 'common carriers' are held to a higher standard which requires them the provide safe passage. Knowingly allowing an unvaccinated person on board once a highly-effective vaccine is available would be very risky business practice.  Anti-vaxxers can anticipate be banned from flying, going to the theatre, and (maybe) even dining in a restaurant. 

They are flying now. I think it will be destination and time based.  No one is going to ask you for your "papers" to fly to the next state on a 45 minute flight but for international or transoceanic/transcontinental they might.   Maybe the government will mandate something but I don't think the airlines will.  Currently the state of flying is a mixed bag with some airlines, notably Southwest, keep in place stringent guidelines, while most just fill and fly.  

Disclosure:  I will get a vaccine and have no political view point on this situation.  

... you can't get on a plane now without a mask. (And that's not a government mandate, it's the airlines being keenly aware of their liability.) Even for a 30 minute flights.

Airliners (or more likely their insurers) are going to make sure they don't willfully expose themselves to unnecessary liability by allowing those who won't/don't get vaccinated on their planes. The loss of revenue from barring anti-vaxxers will be trivial compared to the liability from failing to protect paying passengers from a known, preventable and deadly risk. (At least that's my guess ... but maybe you're right ... after 10 months of the bizarre reactions during this pandemic, who knows.)

Edited by voyageur9
dropped words.
  • Like 5

On 11/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, Taters said:

I used the word "may" as I was quoting ABC news.  Why would I suggest that this is already set in stone when the article does not reflect that?  I'm not here to start rumors, but simply to share information.

I didn't read ontheweb's post to suggest anything other than it was hoped that cruise lines and hotels would follow suit.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, Mary229 said:

I think cruise lines will require it but the rest will be destination mandated.  You can fly, stay in hotels, drive, train now without a vaccine.  I don't see that changing unless you cross an international border

Mary, You should visit our part of the country.....if you dare.  We have some Governors here who are the Amazing Power Trip.  Governor Cuomo (NY)  and Mayor DeBlasio has even set up "check points" (papers please) at bridges, tunnels, airports, train stations and bus stations at New York City.  In our State if you come to visit you are required to get tested within 3 days (not easy to do around here) or quarantine for 14 days!  Other States in this region have other restrictions although nobody can equal New York with their "Check Points."   That kind of reminds me of Nazi Germany in WWII where there were checkpoints.  Once there is a vaccine I can imagine Governor Cuomo having roadblocks on all roads into his State with a mandatory vaccine requirement to pass.....or you will be sent to some dungeon for at least 2 weeks. And that dungeon will already be full of all the impoverished restaurant owners and employees that can no longer afford a roof over their head or a hot meal.  They would normally give you free hot meals in the schools but they are closed!

The reality is that I can cross some International borders with less hassle then going to NYC!  Go figure.

Hank 

• Like 3

Just now, Hlitner said:

Mary, You should visit our part of the country.....if you dare.  We have some Governors here who are the Amazing Power Trip.  Governor Cuomo (NY)  and Mayor DeBlasio has even set up "check points" (papers please) at bridges, tunnels, airports, train stations and bus stations at New York City.  In our State if you come to visit you are required to get tested within 3 days (not easy to do around here) or quarantine for 14 days!  Other States in this region have other restrictions although nobody can equal New York with their "Check Points."   That kind of reminds me of Nazi Germany in WWII where there were checkpoints.  Once there is a vaccine I can imagine Governor Cuomo having roadblocks on all roads into his State with a mandatory vaccine requirement to pass.....or you will be sent to some dungeon for at least 2 weeks. And that dungeon will already be full of all the impoverished restaurant owners and employees that can no longer afford a roof over their head or a hot meal.  They would normally give you free hot meals in the schools but they are closed!

The reality is that I can cross some International borders with less hassle then going to NYC!  Go figure.  I cannot even imagine what restrictions will be put on cruise ships that would call at one of the NYC/NJ ports but it will not be pretty.

Hank 

20 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The reality is that I can cross some International borders with less hassle then going to NYC!  Go figure.

Hank 

Actually, being in the Atlantic Bubble that burst because some didn’t follow the rules, I applaud him.  Sorry.

We are now in code yellow because of a few people who didn’t do what they should have.  Hopefully we come back and while our cases aren’t huge, our Premier (like a Governor) also takes it seriously.  

If everyone took it seriously we could lick this thing and keep it contained.  

Just my perspective  from someone who could associate with their friends in their own bubble and now that the bubble has burst, cannot any longer.  

Single household only thanks to a few.  This thing spreads fast.  One person is responsible for something like 16 cases here.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1