Alaska...Van to Van.....7 days.....not doing this year???

Kelownabccan

20 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

Was looking at the schedule.....do not see any out of Vancouver returning after 7 days.....only 14 day ones up to Anchorage and back....they used to have some but not now......am I missing anything???

The 14 days are two back to back 7 days, and mine just disappeared from my list.  No official cancellation yet.  FCD still shows applied to the crisue.

It is my understanding that there are 7 day round trips from Seattle with a stop in Victoria.  Mute point right now since Canada isn't allowing ships in.

Round trip from Vancouver has always been back to back trips.  Vancouver to Whittier (7 days), same reverse itinerary Whittier to Vancouver (7 days).

Our 14-day cruise to Alaska was just cancelled a few days ago.  We still have a 7-day Seattle to Seattle that has not been cancelled by Princess.  The cruise is late August and we are keeping our fingers crossed that the cruise is a "go."  If not, then we will just scrap 2021 like we did for 2020 and rebook for 2022. 

41 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

Thanks for the info.....early in the year they had the Sun Princess doing 7 day returns but they are all gone now....I think things will keep on changing so do not plan to rush into anything.....easier to get to Vancouver rather than Seattle for us.....

One reason is Sun Princess is history.  EM

Just did a booking for the 5 day.....May 10.....Van to Van......holding it with my FCC....wish it was 7 days but by the time May rolls around with the lock downs.......we will be ready to go anywhere for a quick holiday....that is if the cruise actually does go.....who knows?????

As I understand it, there will be no Alaska cruises next year as long as

Canada keeps their ports closed. Per Maritime law PVSA (Passenger Vessel

Services Act of 1886 and The Merchants Act of 1920, Section 27 The Jones Act).

The ship must call on a "foreign" port before returning to an American port  for

final disembarking. Therefore, even 7 day itineraries will not be permitted due to

the inability to visit Victoria or even depart or arrive in Vancouver.

And as long as the border is closed, it will not be possible to fly into SEATAC and

take the train up to Vancouver, BC. In 2000, we drove there from Portland , Oregon

which was really nice.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

As long as we can fly into Canada and the port of Vancouver is open then the Jones/PVSA does not apply. 

We shall see.

So, is it ok to fly into Canada but not drive across the border?

Even people with jobs in Alaska are finding it difficult, if not

impossible to drive through to reach their livelihood. This seems

strange to me.

Besides, the ports are currently closed as well.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

As long as we can fly into Canada and the port of Vancouver is open then the Jones/PVSA does not apply. 

13 hours ago, nini said:

So, is it ok to fly into Canada but not drive across the border?

Nope.

We have a friend from Australia who is temporarily working in Canada. His son was flying from Australia to Canada to join him with a plane transfer at LAX.

He was not allowed to continue to Canada on a flight from LAX and has had to remain in the USA.

That is odd because I read an article about how people are allowed to fly into Canada and it is believed to be the cause of the upswing in cases there. Maybe it is only flights from the US they are stopping. The airline should have informed him that he could not make a connection in the US before he left Australia!

Hopefully all straightened out by May!