Premium Beverage Package

Slyfox16

3 hours ago, Slyfox16 said:

If you order a drink that is over $12., do you pay the difference in price or the full value of the drink?

Anyone know what the cost of a Grey Goose Martini is or a Margarita with Patron?

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Reading the terms and conditions says; 

• Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16 .00 AUD price are charged at full menu price.

Yes, that is the legal answer.  But my experience, and the experience of lots of other reports on Cruise Critic was that you only pay the difference. That being said, nothing in the past holds any more. Who knows what the future may hold. Due to the pandemic, we are starting over all around. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. But the best way to help getting back to some semblance of the old normal will to be patient with the crew.  The cruise lines will have to seem stingy for a while (and the crew will be under pressure also), but a kind word, no comparison of how it used to be, and sharing with the crew some of that money that we have not been able to spend will be a big help on getting closer to the old normal. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Yes, that is the legal answer.  But my experience, and the experience of lots of other reports on Cruise Critic was that you only pay the difference. That being said, nothing in the past holds any more. Who knows what the future may hold. Due to the pandemic, we are starting over all around. Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. But the best way to help getting back to some semblance of the old normal will to be patient with the crew.  The cruise lines will have to seem stingy for a while (and the crew will be under pressure also), but a kind word, no comparison of how it used to be, and sharing with the crew some of that money that we have not been able to spend will be a big help on getting closer to the old normal. 

You are spot on 👍. Kindness to the crews will be  very welcome & exxtra tipping will go a very long way 🤘

We are booking a 23 night Emerald Princess cruise from  Aukland NZ to LA   for April 7 ,2022 . This cruise  qualifies for the 3 perks 7 a $200 cyber deposit .   The premier drink package  of $12 max is just fine for us as we drink those basic scotch & soda drinks & wine & beers ,so we are fine down the line  .

It is a very interesting ports cruise & combines the South Pacific island with the available sight seeing for us a week in Auckland pre cruise  . Even though we live close to the San diego airport ,a 30 minute drive ,the flights direct to Aukland go out of LAX only ,thus ,we beed to connect to LAX   Those flights are 13 to 14 hour in air flights with no stops . Thus ,we look at both premium economy & business  class  seating with EZ air with Princess who gets the best  possible pricing .We will book air next year & then book our place to stay  in Aukland pre cruise using VRBO.com (vacation rentals by owner) .what is really good is right now , nov 25,2021 our  US dollar buys 1.46  NZ dollars   using the web site XE.com for currency conversions 

• Like 1

I'm surprised that the terms contain the upcharge. On each of our last few cruises the bartenders were quite adamant that we only pay the difference from the $12 allowance - I figured it was the policy based on their assurance.

Once we're back to normal operations I would expect the upcharge though.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:58 PM, Slyfox16 said:

Anyone know what the cost of a Grey Goose Martini is or a Margarita with Patron?

I often get the Chairman of the Board martini and the 24k Gold Margarita which are two of the most expensive drinks. They fit within the beverage package limits. I wouldn't worry about your drinks.

If you order a drink that is over $12., do you pay the difference in price or the full value of the drink?

This is a fun thread, but I just want top remind everyone that things are going to be very different from here on out.  As they say in the stock market:

Past Performance Is No Guarantee of Future Results

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm getting Princess Plus on my next 2 cruises (Nov. '21) realizing my 2 wines, specialty coffee, a pot of tea, a margarita, and maybe another wine, it would be worth it.  It will be a first for me, I won't have pre-set expectations! 🙂 

I usually would exchange my mini bar stuff for coffee cards but figure instead of buying their water pre-cruise, I'll exchange for water and do the my specialty coffee on the premium deal.  It sounds like a plan to me.  Of course, until they change things again! 😄

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I'm getting Princess Plus on my next 2 cruises (Nov. '21) realizing my 2 wines, specialty coffee, a pot of tea, a margarita, and maybe another wine, it would be worth it.  It will be a first for me, I won't have pre-set expectations! 🙂 

I usually would exchange my mini bar stuff for coffee cards but figure instead of buying their water pre-cruise, I'll exchange for water and do the my specialty coffee on the premium deal.  It sounds like a plan to me.  Of course, until they change things again! 😄

No reason to get water for the minibar. Small bottles of water are included in your beverage package. You can pick one up at any bar. If you want canned soda, that is not included in your beverage package. If you drink liquor, it's nice to have some in the room. I have a large collection of small bottles of liquor that I've taken home, since I seldom drink them on the ship (with the beverage package).

You can also give items from your minibar to friends onboard who don't have the beverage package. Unlike the beverage package, it is perfectly permissible to share items from the minibar.

Welcome to the world of excess. Not knowing what to do with your minibar because of the beverage package is definitely a first-world problem.

• Haha 1

We have never had to pay anything other than the difference on any of our cruises.  But as other have mentioned, make friends with the bartenders.  When we want a bottle of wine, most times our bartender will charge 5 glasses against the beverage package and charge us the overage on each glass and then give us our bottle of wine to take to the room or the dining room.  Only one bartender in the past five or six years have declined to do this - we then just find another bartender.

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

I don't drink liquor really, selection with the mini bar doesn't interest me.  I do drink a great deal of water and want it available in the cabin, not having to go to a bar for 1 bottle.  

Seems like you decided it was worth it for the wine and margaritas you plan to drink?  I guess you could have a cocktail since you don't drink liquor.

1 hour ago, susancruzs said:

I don't drink liquor really, selection with the mini bar doesn't interest me.  I do drink a great deal of water and want it available in the cabin, not having to go to a bar for 1 bottle.  

If that is the best for you, go with it. There's no reason to get something that you won't drink.

If I want to drink water in the cabin, I usually just drink from the tap. The tap water on Princess ships is probably as good as or better than much of the bottled water.

I've noticed that bartenders treat you differently if you ask for a glass of water depending on whether or not you have the package. If you don't, they give you a glass of water from the tap. If you do, they give you a bottle without you asking for it.

7 hours ago, RLK33853 said:

We have never had to pay anything other than the difference on any of our cruises.  But as other have mentioned, make friends with the bartenders.  When we want a bottle of wine, most times our bartender will charge 5 glasses against the beverage package and charge us the overage on each glass and then give us our bottle of wine to take to the room or the dining room.  Only one bartender in the past five or six years have declined to do this - we then just find another bartender.

What a good idea...if we ever cruise again, hope they will still do this.....

We have never paid for the Premium Beverage Package (or its predecessor) as it was crazy expensive but have taken it as a "perk" in the past. With the new version  - Princess Plus - it's a no-brainer for us. Two drinks a day covers the cost and we also get our specialty coffees, waters, juice, etc. included. Given the fact that we do drink alcohol it would be crazy not to get the package. Seriously, if one only drinks two drinks per day and maybe a coffee or water (love a San Pellegrino before bed) it's a total wash as to price and then anything above that is "free". I am a huge fan of Princess Plus but, sadly, all of our cruises which included that option have been cancelled.

6 Cruises with Princess Plus that have (so far) been cancelled:

B2B2B: 33 Days Southern Australia/New Zealand/Queensland

10 day Alaska

7 day Western Caribbean

18 day Fire and Ice (TA with Iceland, Scotland, Ireland, England)

Hoping our 26 day B2B2B Southern Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania in  early 2022 (with Princess Plus) will actually happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The rules say you pay the full price of the drink, but I've done it and they have charge me the difference.  That may not be the case all the time though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the drink package for our Baltic cruise in 2022 included in the price. The confirmation on the website indicates it's for all 3 pax. My son will be 19. My understanding is that he would get the non alcoholic package because he's under 21. The cruise is round trip Copenhagen. Does anyone know if he will in fact have the alcohol package? I'm not even sure if he'll care but I know my nephew always had fun at all inclusives when he was over 18 but under 21.