Viking Ocean Ship Escape Routes?

What was that?

Still waiting to sail my first Viking Ocean cruise after the original two bookings were canceled (and re-booked).

I was looking at the deck plans for the umtieth time and did not see escape routes clearly marked on Viking's drawings. I know these diagrams are not to scale, and do not even clearly indicate where doors between areas are, but I thought they would include an indication of in what area the emergency escape paths would be located. Does anyone know? I ask because the only floor-to-floor paths I see are the staircases, which could turn into chimneys if a fire broke out.

Inquiring minds want to know!

7 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Still waiting to sail my first Viking Ocean cruise after the original two bookings were canceled (and re-booked).

I was looking at the deck plans for the umtieth time and did not see escape routes clearly marked on Viking's drawings. I know these diagrams are not to scale, and do not even clearly indicate where doors between areas are, but I thought they would include an indication of in what area the emergency escape paths would be located. Does anyone know? I ask because the only floor-to-floor paths I see are the staircases, which could turn into chimneys if a fire broke out.

A bit confused at what you want but rest assured they will tell you all about emergencies at drill.   If I understand right you want to know about floor to floor (deck to deck) access?  Yes, stairways forward and aft.  You are not allowed to use the elevators during either drills or emergencies.  There are also crew stairwells which might be used in an emergency.  

In addition to the passenger stairways forward and aft there are service stairways forward and aft not shown on the deck plans.  As I recall the forward was across from cabin 7012.  While these service stairways are not double wide they could provide an alternate route.  

4 minutes ago, What was that? said:

As I recall, each stateroom has the evacuation locations and designated gathering location posted on the inside of the stateroom door.  Our key card also had the letter (A, B etc.) of our emergency location on it.  There was a mandatory emergency drill about an hour or so before sail away.  We were instructed to use the stairwells only.  The stairwells are fore and aft and are quite wide.  Elevators are not used.  I believe the gathering locations are The Restaurant and the Star Theater.  You can find those locations as well as the staircases on the deck plans.  The deck plans are accurate but missing many details.

14 minutes ago, What was that? said:

That's kind of what I assumed, but I'm a safety-oriented guy and the question naturally popped into my mind, and the deck plans were not giving me the answers.

Thanks, all.

The deck plans are made by the same folks who make the brochures. You know, where every picture shows beautiful people and warm sunny skies.😎

• Like 1

Each space, or compartment of a ship is required to have at least 2 routes for entry/egress. Each deck is further divided into fire zones, with each zone also requiring 2 entry/egress points. The fire zones all have fire rated self-closing doors providing access to adjacent spaces.

To access decks above/below you have the traditional 2 sets of pax stairs and multiple crew only stairwells. Although I didn't check out all zones, I suspect each Fire-Zone has 1 stairwell. Since pax may have to use crew spaces during an emergency, to reach the Assembly Station, you will find crew stairway guides at each non-pax stairwell.

When looking at deck plans, remember all those grey areas are entirely crew or service spaces, as Viking have no interior cabins. Some decks even have crew cabins in those areas.

Getting a tour of the working spaces provides access to the General Arrangement plans posted on the Deck 0 M1, which show the layout by deck. 

23 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Each space, or compartment of a ship is required to have at least 2 routes for entry/egress. Each deck is further divided into fire zones, with each zone also requiring 2 entry/egress points. The fire zones all have fire rated self-closing doors providing access to adjacent spaces.

To access decks above/below you have the traditional 2 sets of pax stairs and multiple crew only stairwells. Although I didn't check out all zones, I suspect each Fire-Zone has 1 stairwell. Since pax may have to use crew spaces during an emergency, to reach the Assembly Station, you will find crew stairway guides at each non-pax stairwell.

When looking at deck plans, remember all those grey areas are entirely crew or service spaces, as Viking have no interior cabins. Some decks even have crew cabins in those areas.

Getting a tour of the working spaces provides access to the General Arrangement plans posted on the Deck 0 M1, which show the layout by deck. 

I would certainly pay for such a tour. Did it on HAL Oosterdam and it was fascinating.

I guess some of those zones and routes would be illustrated on the back of door information TayanaLorna mentioned?

4 minutes ago, What was that? said:

I would certainly pay for such a tour. Did it on HAL Oosterdam and it was fascinating.

I guess some of those zones and routes would be illustrated on the back of door information TayanaLorna mentioned?

Affirmative, SOLAS requires a notice showing your evacuation routes, which is generally on the inside of the cabin door. The only difference with Viking is the lifejackets are not in your cabin.

Not sure what Viking does on the regular cruises, but I don't believe they have an "Ultimate" ship tour similar to the mega ships, at least they didn't on the World Cruise. They did accept requests for laundry, galley, etc tours at the Purser's Desk, then they contacted you when arranged. When we were down to only 8 pax on the WC, we have at least 1 tour arranged almost every day.

Lots of photos on my blog.

22 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, SOLAS requires a notice showing your evacuation routes, which is generally on the inside of the cabin door. The only difference with Viking is the lifejackets are not in your cabin.

Not sure what Viking does on the regular cruises, but I don't believe they have an "Ultimate" ship tour similar to the mega ships, at least they didn't on the World Cruise. They did accept requests for laundry, galley, etc tours at the Purser's Desk, then they contacted you when arranged. When we were down to only 8 pax on the WC, we have at least 1 tour arranged almost every day.

Lots of photos on my blog.

So I should have asked for photos that people have taken of the emergency routes notice? That would have at least made sense.

I will definitely (try to) remember to ask about behind the scenes tours once on board. If I don't ask, the answer is always "No."

I have dipped a toe in on your blog occasionally in the past. Maybe if I bookmark it I will glean more information from it. And I can recommend it to our other traveling companions.

• Like 1

The crew stairwells are indeed used for emergency exit.  My wife and I used them during the drill on our Trade Routes 2019 voyage.  They are double wide, open steel tread, with railings on both sides.  Steel interior, with pipes and conduits, etc.  A cabin steward was in the aisle, directing people into the stairwells.

On 11/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, What was that? said:

Having been on the infamous Sky sailing, I can assure you that once the signal was heard the crew were in place and the moving to the lifeboat station was smooth and well organised 

I would point out that what you're asking/looking doesn't make sense. Hotel sites don't provide that kind of info on their web sites but do in fact provide what you need to know on every hotel floor, on the back of your hotel door, and in the safety guide in the room. Viking does the same. I would also trust those who were on the Sky's Northern Lights trip last year - that Viking's procedures were excellent. 

Edited by CharTrav

7 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

I would point out that what you're asking/looking doesn't make sense. Hotel sites don't provide that kind of info on their web sites but do in fact provide what you need to know on every hotel floor, on the back of your hotel door, and in the safety guide in the room. Viking does the same. I would also trust those who were on the Sky's Northern Lights trip last year - that Viking's procedures were excellent. 

Right. I knew they had to be there, but out of curiosity more than anything, I was wondering where they were. And I note your Sky comment and appreciated reading first-hand accounts.