As Expected, Prices are Going Up

jimdee3636

Our 5-night "Cabo Getaway" cruise on the Royal for February, 2020 was cancelled by Princess. We were booked in a "full" suite. The per person cost was $1,449.00, including the premium beverage package, prepaid gratuities, and a few other extras. Looking at the same cruise in March of 2022 (except the ship will be the Discovery), the price for the same cabin, same packages, is $1,798 per person. I haven't looked at different 2022 cruises, but if they're all like this one you can expect pretty big price increases. Not surprising, given that passenger capacity will probably be reduced, but still a bit of sticker shock.

• Like 1

We were shocked this morning to see that our transpacific Princess cruise in April 2022 has gone up $2240 (for the two of us.)  This is the pricing on an INSIDE cabin. Yikes!  I think we will be so very grateful that we booked two cruises in the last few weeks. I think we are probably at the bottom of the pricing.

• Haha 1

I'm going to be looking at Baltic/TA for 2022, too.  I saved a great deal on a Nov. 2021 cruise + TA on the Enchanted, compared to the Sky TA, which was cancelled.  If the 2022 Baltic + TA is higher, I will still go because I've been wanting to do it since I took the TA + Baltic in 2016.

Not an issue for us.  Cruising is just one option for us.  We compare the cost with different travel options.  If the price/value is out of line with other options we simply pass on a cruise.

Last fall 2019 in Europe we priced Med cruises.  We found the prices/value to be high for us- even late booking.  Instead, we extended our time in Greece and added two weeks in Cyprus.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

I booked the same Cabo cruise 5 nights for the same price. I also booked my Canada Greenland cruise for only $25 more. It's not fair to compare prices when you change the month and ship to compare. I stayed on the same ship and dates and was happy they didn't go up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quick correction on my original post: the cancelled cruise was scheduled for Feb. 2021 (not 2020).

cruzsnooze: In general, you're right about it being unfair to compare cruises when the months and ships are different. But in my case, the sailing dates are Feb. 6 and March 1---same season, less than a month apart (different year, of course). As for the ships, the Discovery, albeit newer, is basically the same ship as the Royal.

Our 2022 b2b bookings were very similar in cost/pp/day as past cruises. One of the two cruises actually had a fare decrease with the November promo that expired November 23rd. The other which is a higher demand cruise had a small fare increase.

I expect once cruising returns post pandemic that there will be high demand and thus increased pricing.

We have been watching international flight prices for next Sept/Oct on two routes.    So far, pricing has remained constant and just about identical with what we paid in 2019.   Same for hotels and resorts in that time frame and through to winter 2021.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Not an issue for us.  Cruising is just one option for us.  We compare the cost with different travel options.  If the price/value is out of line with other options we simply pass on a cruise.

Last fall 2019 in Europe we priced Med cruises.  We found the prices/value to be high for us- even late booking.  Instead, we extended our time in Greece and added two weeks in Cyprus.

iancal - precisely.

As a consumer, options analysis is king and queen.

The fixation of some consumers on cruising can create a poor benefit result for the consumer. 

We have many vacation options all lined up and none of them include cruising for many reasons. 

It is the cost/benefit of a particular option that tells the tale and such an analysis is unique to each consumer.

5 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

iancal - precisely.

As a consumer, options analysis is king and queen.

The fixation of some consumers on cruising can create a poor benefit result for the consumer. 

We have many vacation options all lined up and none of them include cruising for many reasons. 

It is the cost/benefit of a particular option that tells the tale and such an analysis is unique to each consumer.

Or shop other cruise lines.

2 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Quick correction on my original post: the cancelled cruise was scheduled for Feb. 2021 (not 2020).

cruzsnooze: In general, you're right about it being unfair to compare cruises when the months and ships are different. But in my case, the sailing dates are Feb. 6 and March 1---same season, less than a month apart (different year, of course). As for the ships, the Discovery, albeit newer, is basically the same ship as the Royal.

So they are actually 13 months apart which makes a big difference in cruise pricing. Even as little as 2 weeks difference can mean different prices.  Check Alaska cruises for an example.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

So they are actually 13 months apart which makes a big difference in cruise pricing. Even as little as 2 weeks difference can mean different prices.

Even as little as a week. We used to cruise out of LA every year, the week before xmas, the lowest price of the year. The next two weeks -- Xmas and New Year's -- were the highest prices of the year.  What's more, prices can change daily, so who knows how many times the price will change for a cruise a year from now, or whether any cruise will even be happening?

Edited by latserrof

6 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I would expect the higher price with Discovery being the new ship.  Always a premium to be on the shiny new baby.

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the OP's post.

ETA: Just FYI, our TA alerted us to a promo two days ago for our Royal California Coastal/Alaska repo cruise in early May. We were able to add free gratuities, drink packages, wi-fi and $280 OBC (none of which were on the original booking).... and the cruise fare reduced by $300 (same cabin). Now we just have to hope that cruise actually happens. 😓

Edited by joepeka

I think prices will come crashing down reasonably soon after full capacity cruising resumes. There are a lot of cruise fanatics like me, mostly the people on here, that can't wait to get cruising again. Many, like me, have a lot of Future Cruise Credits to use as well. Even with the price hikes, if I use my $2000 FCC then the fares are basically back to the "standard" fare pricing. What a coincidence.

Against this I speak to many people, many who have cruised before and many who haven't but might have considered it, but will never set foot on a cruise ship now. I get many friends snigger and say "I bet you'll not be cruising again", and they almost fall over when I say that I can't wait to cruise. The cruise industry has taken a massive hit in confidence and will take years to rebuild. Fares like they are advertising now are not realistic in the long term but many people, like me, are impatient and will pay through the nose rather than wait a while. It is just the supply and demand thing, huge demand on restart but it will drop back. I hope. 

Agree.  This is an artificial market at the moment.  The reality is that cruises have to compete with other travel options.  Not simply on attributes but also on the buyer's price/value preferences.

I suspect prices will remain artificially high in order to 'run out the clock'  on those FCC's that are floating around.   

We would rather wait until the market, cruise schedules, and the cruise environment return to normal or as normal as they can be.

Just rebooked a cruise from 2021 to 2022.  Same itinerary, same ship and same cabin but $1508 more.  I suppose they are trying to get back some of the bonus fees for our canceled trips already paid for in 2020.  At this point all I want to do is do this cruise.  It has been on our bucket list for many years and now is the time to do it since we do not want to fly overseas.  In those now immortal words "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"!  

9 hours ago, jimdee3636 said:

Newer ship always gets a higher price, gotta pay for that exorbitant building fee. The difference between Feb and March sailings are always significant. I booked the Royal for Cabo Dec 15 2021 and it's a bargain, why not look at that sailing if it works for you. A window suite is a steal!

10 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Our 2022 price for the 14 day Quebec to FLL is less than 2021.

Same dates/same ship.

We also booked the 14-day Quebec to FLL on the Caribbean Princess for 20 October 2022 when the 21 October 2021 was cancelled. We are on the same ship in the same category (S7) almost exactly one year later, and we are paying about $100 per person less for the 2022 cruise.

See you on the ship in October 2022. You can usually find me at Crooners.

• Like 2