The Daily for Thursday Nov 26, 2020 - Thanksgiving Day USA

richwmn

Looking like a pretty good Thanksgiving.  I keep the minutes for a committee for our scout district, and usually stop at Boston Market on the way to the meetings for Rotisserie Turkey.  They've been meeting on Zoom so I haven't been doing that but stopped by yesterday for takeout, so that will be dinner.

I had expected a rainy morning but it turned out to be pretty much nothing so I got my walk in in the past hour.  I got home and turned on the TV for the Macy's parade and almost immediately was rewarded by a performance of "Somewhere in the Middle of Nowhere" from "Come From Away".  A great start to the day.

Love what Seasick Sailor and Claudio are doing.

Roy

• Like 14

17 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

My friends who were exposed to COVID seem to have made it safely through the two-week incubation period, so I am very thankful for that as well.

That is excellent news 🙂. So happy for them and you.

That is indeed something to be very thankful for ❤️ 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

So, we ordered washer, dryer, and dishwasher and Claudio has found families that can really use them. It's a win all around.

What an absolutely lovely gesture ❤️  That’s what Thanks Giving is all about.  Bless you both.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving Dailyites! 

2020 has certainly taught us to be thankful for things and people we may have taken for granted before.

We would like to give special shout-outs and thanks to all who contribute to this wonderful forum. We don't contribute every day, but we certainly lurk and appreciate  the compassion, the caring, and the laughs. Every day. Oh, and the wine too.

Just being a little contrary, we opted for an alternative to turkey this year. A terrific motivator presented itself when our supermarket put bone-in legs of lamb on special. So this family of two will totally overindulge later today. The revelry will start with a Virtual Pinnacle Grill Bar cocktail with our cruising friends, @bjkrlk (who we had hoped to join for this holiday.) The appetizer will be a simple (but so decadently delish) brie from Brittany & crackers. The main event will feature bacon-wrapped green bean bundles, roasted sweet potatoes with maple syrup, and the aforementioned leg of lamb with mint sauce. And a nice merlot wine. If we can, there is pecan and caramel cake from our favorite bakery. DH will probably sneak a little ice cream alongside.

However, I forgot to follow Facebook's instruction to turn back the bathroom scales 15 lb at 1:00 am today. Whoops.

And later in the week there will be lamb sandwiches, lamb stew... You get the idea, LOL!!

On this special day of Thanksgiving, we wish every one of you all good things for the future.

And please remember to wear a mask. It won't be forever.

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Happy Thanksgiving Dailyites! 

2020 has certainly taught us to be thankful for things and people we may have taken for granted before.

We would like to give special shout-outs and thanks to all who contribute to this wonderful forum. We don't contribute every day, but we certainly lurk and appreciate  the compassion, the caring, and the laughs. Every day. Oh, and the wine too.

Just being a little contrary, we opted for an alternative to turkey this year. A terrific motivator presented itself when our supermarket put bone-in legs of lamb on special. So this family of two will totally overindulge later today. The revelry will start with a Virtual Pinnacle Grill Bar cocktail with our cruising friends, @bjkrlk (who we had hoped to join for this holiday.) The appetizer will be a simple (but so decadently delish) brie from Brittany & crackers. The main event will feature bacon-wrapped green bean bundles, roasted sweet potatoes with maple syrup, and the aforementioned leg of lamb with mint sauce. And a nice merlot wine. If we can, there is pecan and caramel cake from our favorite bakery. DH will probably sneak a little ice cream alongside.

However, I forgot to follow Facebook's instruction to turn back the bathroom scales 15 lb at 1:00 am today. Whoops.

And later in the week there will be lamb sandwiches, lamb stew... You get the idea, LOL!!

On this special day of Thanksgiving, we wish every one of you all good things for the future.

And please remember to wear a mask. It won't be forever.

Thanksgiving is the time to celebrate what we love, not a time to necessarily follow the crowd.  Sounds wonderful.

Roy

• Like 9

Today's sunrise is from my 2013 combination of the Crystal Symphony New York to Miami and then the Prinsendam on to the Amazon.  On November 26 I was in Ft. Lauderdale, boarding the Prinsendam in the afternoon:

dawn1126.jpeg

Roy

• Like 15

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! 

I am very grateful to Rich and all those who contribute for this wonderful thread. It is truly a pleasure to check in everyday. Even though I do not post often, I very much enjoy reading the uplifting posts and all the wonderful pictures!

• Like 6

Good morning, all, and Happy Thanksgiving to all our American Daily friends.

Our usual American Thanksgiving is a visit from our cousins south of the border, and we all go out to our favourite Chinese restaurant.  This year, no cousins, and the Chinese restaurant has been torn down.  All very sad and quiet.  Hopefully, next year will be different.

Pat's very favourite wine is on the agenda today, bringing back happy memories.  We usually pick up a couple of bottles of a Chateauneuf du Pape to take on board with us to enjoy in the Pinnacle with dinner there.  

• Like 11

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I am having a very quiet one. Thanks to UPS messing up my dinner delivery, I am going to indulge in spaghetti with homemade sauce and a small glass of rather indifferent wine. Could have gone to a neighbors.... but I am keeping pretty much to myself these days. I will go walk dogs at the shelter this afternoon..... I call from the parking lot, they bring a dog to me and off doggie and I go for a walk along the river. When we get back I call, walk to the back door and they open it and take dog in..... all while wearing our masks (well, the dog doesn't but they don't seem worried).

We are in a good news/bad news situation with Covid-19 in my family. My Sister is well past the incubation period and seems well. However one of her sons has been exposed and has been tested, no results yet. He does not live with her so she was not given a second exposure and she has ordered everyone to stay away from her.  And my niece's husband is still in ICU. So we sort of live on edge right now. Here in Durango the cases are rising rapidly .... which is why I am practicing my hermit routine.

With all of that.... when I look at long food lines - hospital reports - job losses, etc. I have plenty to be thankful for.

Susan

• Like 15

Good morning, all! Happy Thanksgiving! All the best to our American friends  on this special day. Those of us in Canada have already had one Thanksgiving, but this year we can all use an extra holiday to really stop and appreciate all the good things that we have in our lives in an otherwise chaotic year. And laughter is always the best medicine.

I want to thank Rich, Roy, and all regular contributors and Dailyites. Your daily ray of light, hope, sanity and fellowship is a firm anchor in the storm. I appreciate you all more than you can know. @summer slopethere is a bottle of cranberry and apple cider from a craft cidery in the Okanagan I was saving for Christmas. I think today is the perfect day to enjoy it, reflect on what is good, and give thanks.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today.   I am very thankful to all who contribute to this thread on a daily basis.  It is such a joy to have this connection to others, especially since I live by myself.  

It will be a quiet gathering here today, but that is ok as I am holding out the big prize - being able to gather with the entire family next year.   

Amen! 

• Like 3

image.thumb.jpeg.9e9ba397a0fd593ae4dc5fa2a6412597.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺A very Happy Thanksgiving !

Thank you to everyone who sent me well wishes! So appreciate it

Here is my happy place! Paisley in her favorite chair watching all of us in kitchen! 
She found her squirrel in the Xmas tree and is in 7th heaven.

❤️ To all !

Thank you 

Denise👍

• Like 18

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Our turkey is in the oven & should be ready around 2:30. We will cart portions over to the kids and do a Zoom holiday. 

We were supposed to be in Curacao today. It is another port we have not visited yet so no pictures. 

Here is our Turkey from 2008!

DSC05523.thumb.JPG.3622348a4af705a5d199e9cd95594a63.JPG

• Like 14

Good morning and Happy thanksgiving to all my American friends and family!   We often seem to be in the US this time of year,  last year we were blown away by the traffic east of LA!   

Our chief medical officer in Canada offered some hope when she reminded us pandemics don’t last forever!   So keep safe everyone so we can return to better times!  

A happy memory from our Zuiderdam  thanksgiving cruise. image.thumb.jpeg.85303f2df1172cf99d0fd4e5950509c5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.85b059fc1d9d63251b83997b69b19729.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d2379b447914232478fa408b90dfda9e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0396560f8002db76523bae4ff59d0169.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.37ce85b06bca558e91468afbdf08f1a8.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 15

Good afternoon and happy Thanksgiving.  I really think the meal of the day should include turkey or stuffing or sweet potato pie, not spaghetti squash, yikes!  The drink might be something I would try.    Love the saying and the days to celebrate are interesting.  I am sending my thanks to Rich, Roy and the wine and drink ladies, this certainly is one interesting thread and I hope it continues on.  My best to all, please take time to stop and think of all the things we have to be thankful for.  My list is long.

EC5B5F48-6ADB-454D-A7F8-6744AA22C467.jpeg

• Like 15

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

We want to wish all who make this thread special and a pleasure to read everyday, a very happy and safe Thanksgiving.  We are thankful for all who contribute either daily or occasionally, especially to Rich, Roy, Summer Slope and Cat Shepard for keeping the lists, wine reviews and drink recipes.

This year we are especially thankful that our family is safe and well, and we are looking forward to when we can be together again.

Today will be the traditional turkey day dinner, but with fewer sides.  Luckily, we found a small (6-7 lb.) turkey 🦃 so not too many leftovers.  Of course, there will be wine 🍷 with dinner.

Stay safe and well, and wear those masks!

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13

55 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

I will go walk dogs at the shelter this afternoon..... I call from the parking lot, they bring a dog to me and off doggie and I go for a walk along the river. When we get back I call, walk to the back door and they open it and take dog in..... all while wearing our masks (well, the dog doesn't but they don't seem worried).

How nice that you are doing this.  Especially when it is Thanksgiving.  I am sure they need the volunteers more than ever on a holiday.

Brilliant protocol in place.  We are doing the same here - love it!

• Like 6

Happy Thanksgiving to all!  We have a nice sunny, but cool fall day.  Turkey is in the roaster and dressing (stuffing) is in the crockpot.  Sides are ready to slide in the oven at the appropriate time.  Prepared way more food then we need for Hubby, son and I, but hard to change routine!  I figure I won't have to cook for several days!

We will facetime with the Grands later today.  Will be a quiet day.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Denise

• Like 11

First of all HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!  I know I have so much to be thankful for!  At this point I am most thankful for good health for my family and me.  I especially want to include this as much daily dose of happiness and for this I am so thankful.  The camaraderie and genuine concern for others is a point of thanksgiving!  I am may not post here everyday, but I try to at least log in and read all the wonderful thoughts.

For those needing prayer, I will be remembering you, and I join others in wishing the congrats people the best.  And to all those outside the USA, we are thankful for our wonderful cruise buddies, and hope that we may soon meet again on a blue hulled beauty!

• Like 12