The Daily for Thursday Nov 26, 2020 - Thanksgiving Day USA

richwmn

A Happy Thanksgiving to all. Rich: Thanks for the Fleet report. I am surprised your meal suggestion did not include Turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce. Best wishes to all posters.  A number of years ago I was on the Volendam on Thanksgiving and we did have turkey in the main dining room.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Himself said:

A Happy Thanksgiving to all. Rich: Thanks for the Fleet report. I am surprised your meal suggestion did not include Turkey, dressing and cranberry sauce. Best wishes to all posters.  A number of years ago I was on the Volendam on Thanksgiving and we did have turkey in the main dining room.

I think Rich and I both go by calendar date, and November 26 is not always Thanksgiving.  I've been on other ships on Thanksgiving but never on HAL ships.  I boarded the Prinsendam November 26 but that year Thanksgiving has been earlier.  I did include Turkey back in October when I was on Amsterdam but that was Canadian Thanksgiving.  I do hope to have something appropriate to the date New Years Day.

Roy

• Like 7

Happy Thanksgiving to all the American cousins....and to my daughter, who, while a Canadian living in Cairo, Egypt, teaches at an American school, so has the long weekend off. While it's not the traditional Thanksgiving, it is one to remember!

It's been Good Grief YEAR, don't you think?

Love the quote!

We received our first Christmas card today, so I guess I can stamp and mail the ones that have been done for a week now.
I'm not sure what we'll have for dinner.

DH had his (phone) appointment with the diabetic clinic. They are pleased with what all my nagging has done for him. I think he celebrated with a pastry . . . . . and football 😛

Thanks to all who visit this thread, and to all that daily give us the thread to meet upon. Blessings for a wonderful day.

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear a mask!

• Like 12

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and Happy thanksgiving to all my American friends and family!   We often seem to be in the US this time of year,  last year we were blown away by the traffic east of LA!   

Our chief medical officer in Canada offered some hope when she reminded us pandemics don’t last forever!   So keep safe everyone so we can return to better times!  

A happy memory from our Zuiderdam  thanksgiving cruise. 
image.thumb.jpeg.37ce85b06bca558e91468afbdf08f1a8.jpeg

Good chance that'll be HAL's first female captain; she hails from Germany and her name is Sabine and she's a 1/O now

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, Himself said:

39 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I think Rich and I both go by calendar date, and November 26 is not always Thanksgiving. 

Roy is mostly right. All the lists, meals, wines, drinks are made up months in advance. While I should have glanced at the meal for today and edited it to include Turkey I didn't. I could make excuses and say I picked something else because everyone cooks Turkey on Thanksgiving, but that is not true.

• Like 10

I am so very thankful for all the Dailyites, whether they post daily or infrequently - or just lurk. This is such a wonderful place for caring, celebrating, sharing and learning.

No matter how frustrating this year has been, I'm sure all of us have much to be thankful for.

Thanks to all. Continue to keep each other safe.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving all!  Like a lot of you we have the turkey breast and side dishes cooking right now.  Just the two of us here.  My daughter reminded me of turkey preparation at her house last Christmas.  DH loves to prepare the turkey so that was his job.  Our well behaved grand dog 😇 sat patiently beside him waiting for a bit of turkey or stuffing to fall on the floor.  So cute!  

Shutterfly reminded me we were in Venice for Thanksgiving in 2018.  We celebrated with some pizza and gelato at our favorite shops near the Rialto Bridge.  We boarded Pacific Princess for a transatlantic the following day.  Great memories!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.thumb.jpeg.9e9ba397a0fd593ae4dc5fa2a6412597.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺A very Happy Thanksgiving !

Thank you to everyone who sent me well wishes! So appreciate it

Here is my happy place! Paisley in her favorite chair watching all of us in kitchen! 
She found her squirrel in the Xmas tree and is in 7th heaven.

❤️ To all !

Thank you 

Denise👍

Paisley! So great to see you! That squirrel didn't last very long in the tree, did it? Our (now in Heaven)

Mackenzie would lie next to her Christmas bags until Christmas Eve. She knew every one of her gifts. She would lick the outside of the bags she knew were treats. She LOVED lambies aka freeze dried lamb lungs. Hope your Gramma is feeling better. Give her a hug for us. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Paisley! So great to see you! That squirrel didn't last very long in the tree, did it? Our (now in Heaven)

Mackenzie would lie next to her Christmas bags until Christmas Eve. She knew every one of her gifts. She would lick the outside of the bags she knew were treats. She LOVED lambies aka freeze dried lamb lungs. Hope your Gramma is feeling better. Give her a hug for us. 

Oh Joy! 💋💋💋💋

So care for you my sister! Oh and my dear Ann!

Shawn has completely taken over in the kitchen so happy for her. She is a godsend right now. Hope you and Allen have a wonderful thanksgiving with your steaks!! David said we should of done that today! Would of been great ! I agree. Just so Damn  tired didn’t sleep well!!

But Shawn has been giving me some champagne which is nice! Love what you are doing for needy family with appliances good job! You passed it on!!

😘

Denise

• Like 8

We would like to thank Cruise Critic for giving a meeting place, Rich for giving us this thread each day, Roy and all others who share information, experiences, wisdom, humor, and simple kindness. Each day we are enriched by the good people who frequent this thread. We laugh, we learn, we pray when it's needed, and we celebrate with you when it's called for.  

So, from our table to yours,

Tday.thumb.jpg.c901043fa7587e20cedb3775d4807833.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving! May God continue to Bless each of you and all those whom you love.

Please stay safe and healthy until we can get this world back to whatever will pass for normal enough to let us once again safely enjoy the pleasure of seeing the world from the deck of a dam ship.

Lori & George

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, VintageGeo said:

We would like to thank Cruise Critic for giving a meeting place, Rich for giving us this thread each day, Roy and all others who share information, experiences, wisdom, humor, and simple kindness. Each day we are enriched by the good people who frequent this thread. We laugh, we learn, we pray when it's needed, and we celebrate with you when it's called for.  

So, from our table to yours,

Tday.thumb.jpg.c901043fa7587e20cedb3775d4807833.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving! May God continue to Bless each of you and all those whom you love.

Please stay safe and healthy until we can get this world back to whatever will pass for normal enough to let us once again safely enjoy the pleasure of seeing the world from the deck of a dam ship.

Lori & George

What a beautiful writing from you!!! This is sanctuary!!! You have a gorgeous setting with the photo! Happy Thanksgiving back at you both! 
Sincerely

Denise😊

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Good chance that'll be HAL's first female captain; she hails from Germany and her name is Sabine and she's a 1/O now

She was absolutely awesome,  it would be well deserved.  She had just overseen the rather extensive update on the Zuiderdam.    We had the pleasure of her company thanksgiving dinner a few years ago.  

• Like 4

Thanks for all the reports.

Food in the photos looks very tempting.

Heavy rain this morning, so had to postpone the window cleaner, hopefully one day next week the weather will co-operate.

Happy Thanksgiving to all USA cruise critic members.

Stay safe and well everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dfish said:

My sister crawled out from her refuge in the woods to join me for dinner today.  We figure if one of us goes down. we go down together.   Dinner was wonderful and worth all the work.

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Love your dishes!!! Beautiful pictures and setting! ENJOY!

Denise😊

• Like 7

Happy Thanksgiving, we have much to be thankful for, even in 2020.

Two years ago, we were aboard the Eurodam in Maui, Hawaii, on Thanksgiving.  Lahaina, Maui, is a tender port, and it was a picture perfect day to tender.  After a wondeful bus ride around part of the island with a stop to swim, we returned to Lahaina and approached the tender dock.  A tender was about to leave, so we waited for the next one so I could get a good seat next to the open area to take pictures.  All was well until this woman sat right next to me blocking my clear view.  Trying to be nice, 

I noticed her HAL badge and asked her if she worked aboard.  She responded, "Not exactly, I'm the Captains wife."  Captain John Scott, a HAL veteran officer, was our Captain and indeed she was Mrs Scott, so it was a good thing I didn't say anything I would later regret!  Captain Scott was my first Captain on the old Noordam (1984) when I first cruised the Noordam in 2003.  She also wanted to take pics as we left Maui, thus she sat there.  

Thanksgiving dinner with turkey and all the trimmings was wonderful in the MDR that night.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, bennybear said:

She was absolutely awesome,  it would be well deserved.  She had just overseen the rather extensive update on the Zuiderdam.    We had the pleasure of her company thanksgiving dinner a few years ago.  

Had the pleasure of working two contracts with her on Noordam. Awesome to work with, great personality, and an extremely competent navigator/nautical officer. I said 1/O, but pretty sure she made it up to staff captain now, 2nd in command and one step below master 🙂

• Like 9

12 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Love your dishes!!! Beautiful pictures and setting! ENJOY!

Denise😊

The dishes were my grandmother's.   I feel so fortunate to have her china and silver.   I've read that Millennials aren't interested in having the old stuff like that, but I love it!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dfish said:

The dishes were my grandmother's.   I feel so fortunate to have her china and silver.   I've read that Millennials aren't interested in having the old stuff like that, but I love it!

We were very surprised that our daughter wanted her grandmother’s  China and our son her tea cups.  So some things may be changing! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

We were very surprised that our daughter wanted her grandmother’s  China and our son her tea cups.  So some things may be changing! 

Cool!  My nephew may be interested in Grandma's Belleek China.   She had quite an extensive collection - enough for a dinner party!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Cool!  My nephew may be interested in Grandma's Belleek China.   She had quite an extensive collection - enough for a dinner party!  

Oh my!  Love Belleek.  I collected a few pieces before I was married,  my husbands grandmother gave me some from Ireland and we did visit there a few years ago along with Waterford.   I love nice China!  So hope my kids do one day.   Funny story I used the good Wedgwood one Christmas and the kids wondered if I got new dishes, 😂.  Might as well use the stuff!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Oh my!  Love Belleek.  I collected a few pieces before I was married,  my husbands grandmother gave me some from Ireland and we did visit there a few years ago along with Waterford.   I love nice China!  So hope my kids do one day.   Funny story I used the good Wedgwood one Christmas and the kids wondered if I got new dishes, 😂.  Might as well use the stuff!  

That's funny about the kids wondering if you got new dishes.  I figure you might as well use it if you have it.  Otherwise, it is just one more thing that needs to be dusted.

• Like 3