2022 ... a good time to start cruising again

westcliffo

All depends on your health!

I've had the covid and it was scary bad. As per the statistics, covid is bad news for seniors with pre-conditions. My recommendation is that those seniors don't travel where masks are not mandatory.

And, don't travel to places where the disease is not under control. Where there are high rates of community spread, it is impossible to keep it out of carehomes etc even if masks are mandatory.

Even after vaccination, exercise caution. 5-10% of the vaccinated are not protected.

We are optimistic that 2022 will be a return to the more normal cruise experience. We are willing to wait longer if necessary. Believe summer & fall 2021 cruises will still have virus protocols in place, plus as already announced will be limited to 7 days or less, not for us.

• Like 2

A few weeks ago, we booked a TP from Sydney to SFO in April, 2022. Then, we became more bold and booked an Eastern Med in Nov 2021. The deposits were so small and the prices were fantastic. $3,640 for two with airfare from the midwest on an eleven day cruise from Athens to Rome. I can handle an inside with such a port intensive cruise!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Until you're quarantined in an inside cabin for 14 days.

After seeing what happened in Yokohama & Caribbean last winter/ spring I would not take an inside cabin. Too unpredictable. A 7 day cruise could turn into one much longer, ports might not let ship dock etc. 

anyway good fare, I guess. Enjoy

5 hours ago, dog said:

After seeing what happened in Yokohama & Caribbean last winter/ spring I would not take an inside cabin. Too unpredictable. A 7 day cruise could turn into one much longer, ports might not let ship dock etc. 

anyway good fare, I guess. Enjoy

We won't be cruising unless COVID is in the rearview mirror and the vaccine shows itself to be reliable.

• Like 1

I'm booked for Nov. 2021, long cruise (26 days) but do realize it may not happen.  I sail as a single, inside cabins usually.  I booked an obstr. deluxe balcony because I would not want to be in an inside if something did happen.

I'm more optimistic about 2022, and plan to book a Baltic + transatlantic as soon as Europe 2022 itineraries are out.  Being older it is a concern, I cruise once a year usually 21-30 days.  

• Like 1

We booked the 15 day Hawaii cruise for December 2021.  The only reason we booked it is because we had some future cruise credits and didn't have to pay anything additional.  I'm trying not to get my hopes too high about going.  I doubt we'll cruise if we can't get vaccinated before going and kids are probably going to be the last phase of vaccine rollout.

• Like 2

If we can cruise in 2022 I think it will be late in the year of 2022.  I believe This is going to take a lot longer than I think we have been thinking. How many folks will get the vaccine, how many folks in the world will be able to receive, who will pay for all this, etc.  Just hoping that we will be in the 3rd group to receive in the US and that all will go well for us and the entire world. 

• Like 1

Looks like I might be in the minority here.  I see it pretty likely that the vaccines will be readily available come April and dispersed by July.  Give 3 months for them to get back to near normal and I would think that come fall, cruising should be good to go for North America/Hawaii.  That would include the Caribbean.  I don't know about the rest of the world, but Europe should be more or less the same.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that come Jan22 the reason for not cruising would be ones own personal choice... not decisions made by others.🤞

2 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Looks like I might be in the minority here.  I see it pretty likely that the vaccines will be readily available come April and dispersed by July. 

The USA is averaging less than 2,000,000 Covid-19 tests a day and people often wait in lines for five hours or more to take them. I do not think vaccines can be administered faster than this.

If 70% of Americans want the vaccine, that would require about 462,000,000 million doses assuming each vaccine requires two doses.

If somehow 2,000,000 people could be vaccinated each day, 7 days a week starting January 1, it would take 231 days to achieve this.

Personally, I do not think there will be 2,000,000 people vaccinated a day, but if it was possible, it would take until mid-August to accomplish this doing it 7 days a week including holidays if it starts January 1.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Personally, I do not think there will be 2,000,000 people vaccinated a day, but if it was possible, it would take until mid-August to accomplish this doing it 7 days a week including holidays if it starts January 1.

The logistics challenge is enormous. It could take a year or more,  to reduce virus levels to safe levels. We are mentally prepared to cancel our February 2022 cruise should the return to normal be slower than we are hoping. 

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

The logistics challenge is enormous. It could take a year or more,  to reduce virus levels to safe levels. We are mentally prepared to cancel our February 2022 cruise should the return to normal be slower than we are hoping. 

Yeah I'm giving our Jan/Feb 2022 cruises a 50% chance right now, because;

1. They may not cruise (B2B2B, and a 14 nighter)

2.  We may choose not to go if quarantines are possible, port access restricted, etc etc etc.......

8 hours ago, caribill said:

The USA is averaging less than 2,000,000 Covid-19 tests a day and people often wait in lines for five hours or more to take them. I do not think vaccines can be administered faster than this.

If 70% of Americans want the vaccine, that would require about 462,000,000 million doses assuming each vaccine requires two doses.

If somehow 2,000,000 people could be vaccinated each day, 7 days a week starting January 1, it would take 231 days to achieve this.

Some math issues here.  USA population is over 300 million.  You likely meant 662,000,000 doses - at least.

At 2MM/day, 331 days - or basically a year.  Plus, there is a baked in delay for the second dose of about a month, so 331 + 31 = ~1 YEAR.  If the 2MM number turns out to be an average volume.  That said, we do know that not everyone will take the vaccine, so who knows what that number will be.

• Like 1

Numbers are large... but so will be places that vaccines will be dispensed at.  Comparing it to testing isn't accurate as there will be many more places to get the shots then test locations....and it's quicker.  Frankly, I bet it comes down to availability more than logistics to dispense.  If they can produce it, I bet most that want it will have it by July.  Keep in mind, at least in the US, a majority of the population gets the flu vaccine.  And I don't see any lines to get that.  That's about 1/2 of the population - including youths.  So be cautious... but optimistic.

1 minute ago, Redwing55 said:

Numbers are large... but so will be places that vaccines will be dispensed at.  Comparing it to testing isn't accurate as there will be many more places to get the shots then test locations....and it's quicker.  Frankly, I bet it comes down to availability more than logistics to dispense.  If they can produce it, I bet most that want it will have it by July.  Keep in mind, at least in the US, a majority of the population gets the flu vaccine.  And I don't see any lines to get that.  That's about 1/2 of the population - including youths.  So be cautious... but optimistic.

I called CVS to refill prescriptions and they already have a message saying they'll be offering the vaccine but they have no information other than that. Every Target has a CVS and it's pretty simple to make an appointment for vaccines. I did it for the flu shot and we were in and out in a couple of minutes.

• Like 2

So, what do you know of the on board food, service levels in 2022? If you do not have a guarantee of what you are paying for, why would you book, sight unseen, review unseen?

Given the huge debt levels of the cruise lines, logic says they will be downgrading amplified. Given the guaranteed FCC business, that is a totally perfect time to downgrade and make up lost ground in terms of revenue on the backs of all the FCC's and desperate cruisers.

I would wait to see what the real onboard experience is before putting any $ down for any cruise line. And, and, take a took at what other travel options are out there, cruising is the least safe and logical travel option at this time.

If you are hooked on cruising go for it, but everyone else, use your brain and analysis, not your heart,