MS Maud questions

jonikal

22 hours ago, jonikal said:

As predicted, we were notified a couple of days ago that our Apr 12, 2021 sailing on the Maud out of Dover has been canceled.  Back to the drawing board in the hope next year will be a winner.

We booked July 4th sailing on recommendation of our TA who thought, at the time, that April would not happen.  Talked to her yesterday and know she is saying that the thinking. at least among American TAs, is that nothing may sail before September or October.

3 hours ago, comcox said:

We booked July 4th sailing on recommendation of our TA who thought, at the time, that April would not happen.  Talked to her yesterday and know she is saying that the thinking. at least among American TAs, is that nothing may sail before September or October.

I suspect travel restrictions (at least for voyages departing from Norway & UK may well be limiting factor over next few months. Be worth monitoring these as much as Hurtigruten themselves.

Dover departures of Maud are cancelled to end May currently.

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 7:15 PM, hallasm said:

MS Maud, previously MS Midnatsol is not yet launched. Renovation of MS Midnatsol is planende for beginning of next year - she will be equipped with battery packs and other green technology before being renamed MS Maud.

MS Maud will be an expedition ship and not part of the Bergen to Kirkenes Coastel Voyage.

Following the renovations she will have a capacity of 530 guests, as well as a number of new amenities and onboard venues. All public areas will be redesigned in a relaxed Scandinavian style. All cabins and suites will be completely refurbished, and new suites will be added. The ships will receive a new, specially designed Expedition Launch to serve as a tender area where guests embark on excursions. Link to description

At MS Midnatsol it was possible to see through the windows into the cabins from the promenade deck - I do not know if that will change, but do not think so.  It is necessary to have the curtains drawn.  I've had a cabin on the promenade deck - it was conveniently quick to get out on the deck on my Northern Lights trips.

Hurtigruten Coastal Voyager is known for their good kitchen and fresh Nordic ingredients - expedition cruises get a more mixed reviews.  Since MS Maud will primarily sail expedition cruises along the Norwegian coast, I assume that the food will be similar to Coastal Voyager - expect many dishes down fish.

Note that now that the whole refurbishment is not going ahead, the passenger capacity has been increased as none of the suites are being upgraded. The new passenger capacity is on the H website.

On 11/28/2020 at 1:26 AM, hallasm said:

Midnatsol has a total capacity of 970 passengers when samling at the Norwegian Coastal route - but only 632 beds/bunks  - less total number of cabins at Maud, hence less beds.

Actually the specifications for Maud is saying 532 beds.

Latest news on cabins and passenger numbers has been updated by H. Check their website.

On 11/28/2020 at 12:14 AM, jonikal said:

Thanks for the link.  However, I did not find where the following information came from:

Following the renovations she will have a capacity of 530 guests, as well as a number of new amenities and onboard venues. All public areas will be redesigned in a relaxed Scandinavian style. All cabins and suites will be completely refurbished, and new suites will be added. The ships will receive a new, specially designed Expedition Launch to serve as a tender area where guests embark on excursions. Link to description

Of particular interest is the reduction of guests from the 900's on the Midnatsol to 530 on the Maud.  This would indicate that there has been a change of cabin configurations since it mentions new suites will be added.  Hopefully H will be able to clarify this in order for passengers to be able to make cabin decisions when booking. 

Hi Cool Cruiser,

Checkout the latest on the  website as not all the info on this thread is up to date as the whole refurbishment is not going ahead and the suites are not being enlarged now or changed. Passenger numbers and beds are not being totally decreased either.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:54 AM, richws said:

Given the amount of advertising and printed Hurti Brochure specific to Maud Sailings from Dover I think it's very unlikely it won't happen. It would do serious damage to Hurtigruten's Brand image in UK, one of their biggest markets.

First 2 planned voyages are "Northern Lights and Fjords Expedition" dep 16th & 30th March; I'm booked on 30th departure. These are followed by 2 UK Cruises. Given current situation I'd hope that the planned refurb can be started early to ensure there are no delays affecting Maud's initial sailings

Hi Richws,

See the more recent thread re the MS Maud refurbishment and you will find your words were extremely prophetic. In Australia the damage that has been done by the false advertising on the refurbishment and lack of real apology and financial compensation to passengers that paid based on the cruises from Dover on a fully refurbished ship, it is staggering to think that H didn't properly think this through. One can only surmise that either H are in trouble financially or that they did not receive the bookings for on MS Maud that they anticipated as these would have been paying for some of the refurbishment.

It is also interesting to note that the latest advertising on Maud has not decreased the cost of the voyages even thought the ship will not be fully refurbished.

I have found this whole sage by H terribly disconcerting as has been the lack of proper attention to email correspondence. I am one of the  Ambassador members but this has really soured my faith in the company and I probably won't ever book on one of their expedition voyages again.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:51 PM, MG.OCEANMAN said:

Thanks to everyone for all the updates and info re the conversion  to MS MAUD . 

We -2 couples -are not going on her until AUG 20th 2022 so hopefully the work will ALL be finished and any new teething problems will be sorted . 

I have looked but so far have failed to find a specific ROLL CALL for our trip so wondered if one has been started yet -if yes please can someone let me know ?

BW`s to All and Stay Safe and Well 

Mike 

Hi there MG Oceanman,

The refurbishment appears to not be happening at all now except for the engines and other areas. The cabins are definitely not being refurbished. We were booked on two voyages 22 May 22 and 22 Dec 22 and have received emails advising that the refurbishments will definitely not be happening except for some of the areas such as the boat boarding area, the ability for the ship to use port power in ports and other superficial changes.

On 5/20/2021 at 12:18 AM, Baysidelad said:

Hi there MG Oceanman,

The refurbishment appears to not be happening at all now except for the engines and other areas. The cabins are definitely not being refurbished. We were booked on two voyages 22 May 22 and 22 Dec 22 and have received emails advising that the refurbishments will definitely not be happening except for some of the areas such as the boat boarding area, the ability for the ship to use port power in ports and other superficial changes.

I've also received email re Sep 22 voyage. It does state "cabins will not be upgraded as planned" and that the planned "Wellness Centre" will not be introduced.

However there are more work (being) done than detailed. Full science centre; TVs in all cabins; revamped AV with lectures viewable in cabins; 3 restaurants with "Explorer" menus as on the new Expedition Ships.

The ship is now renamed as Maud

Maud1.jpg

Maud3.jpg