Cruise Overwhelm--- pros cons of NCL Encore w/cruise of Glacier Bay

summerou

Pro's and Con's of this trip booked last night on a whim...  I usually do more research but COVID + wine + black Friday marketing got me.  Flights and cruise are 100% refundable today so please chime in.  I would have just called a travel agent today but they were saying that the special would end at midnight before extending the sale to cyber Monday.

NCL Encore August 29th 2021 departing Seattle. 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) in a balcony cabin (BF category) $5,200 total for cruise AND air combined for all 4 of us.

Background: we have two kids traveling with us (8 and 9).  They are excited about the onboard activities on the Encore (go carts etc.) They have cruised Disney before and LOVED it.  However, the price difference on this itinerary was very significant.  

Can you please provide feedback on this ship/itinerary?  Should the fact that is doesn't dock in Glacier Bay be a deal

breaker?  I can still cancel and rebook today.  (The cruise is cancelable for a bit but the flights will go to airline credit after 24 hours.)

Sun          Seattle

Mon         At Sea

Tues        2:30-11 Juneau

Wed         7-8:15 Skagway

Thur         Cruise Glacier Bay (does not dock)

Fri             7-1:15 Ketchikan

Sat            7PM-12PM Victoria

Sun           Seattle

Edited by summerou

• summerou changed the title to Cruise Overwhelm--- pros cons of NCL Encore w/cruise of Glacier Bay

The typical Glacier Bay day for a cruise ship is a cruise north through the National Park past various glaciers up to Margery Glacier, where the cruise ship slowly rotates, giving all sides of the ship views of the glacier. Park Rangers for the National Park will come aboard by pilot boat at the mouth of the bay. They will provide information on the ship intercom on what you can see as you pass down the bay.  The rangers depart as the ship exits the National Park.

We spent a chunk of time on the stern promenade with one of the rangers, who pointed out a couple of Coastal Brown Bears (the larger cousin to the grizzly) on the shore.

IMG_5303.JPG

Thanks for pointing out that no ships dock in glacier bay.  I had seen limited licenses for glacier bay given to cruise lines so I assumed that meant some docked. I can’t believe I booked this last night without any research!  I’m usually more of a planner. 

Before determining if this cruise is a good fit, you need to decide what you want to see of Alaska and remember your pros/cons are different from others. Having cruised Alaska extensively as both a pax and navigator, these are my pros/cons

Pro - schedule includes Glacier Bay, which in addition to glacier viewings, they have Park Rangers board, providing interesting presentations.

Cons

• Can't imagine going to Alaska on a ship with 4,000 pax
  • Seattle departures spend way too many hours in open waters on the outside of Vancouver Island. Can also be rather rough in the Pacific Ocean, especially late in the season. Is anyone susceptible to ship motion?
  • Time in port - Skagway times are good, but Juneau arrival isn't until 14:30 and sunset is before 20:00. Ketchikan you sail at 13:15, which only provides a few hours ashore. In summary - minimal port times.
  • Victoria is a technical stop to satisfy US cabotage laws. If the Pacific Ocean is rough, ships often arrive late in Victoria. Sunset again is before 20:00, so entire stop is at night.
  • Only transit SE Alaska, no cruising through Prince Willian Sound, or seeing other glaciers
  • End of season and higher potential for inclement weather. In Sept I have experienced everything from brilliant days to 70 kt storms.

Your other consideration should be based on risk, specifically whether the 2021 Alaska season will actually take place. To visit Alaska, the ships must visit a Canadian port to comply with US Laws. At present Canadian Ports are still closed to cruise ships. Even if the Federal Govt opened the ports, our Federal & BC Govts have a 14-day quarantine plan requirement that is not likely to change in the short term, and even if our Federal Govt removes the quarantine requirement, BC may retain the requirement. If the quarantine is still in effect, it will apply to cruise ship pax.

While we are also experiencing a 2nd wave, unless the US virus numbers reduce substantially, by the Spring, I believe the chance of ships sailing in Alaska is fairly low.

3 hours ago, summerou said:

Pro's and Con's of this trip booked last night on a whim...  I usually do more research but COVID + wine + black Friday marketing got me.  Flights and cruise are 100% refundable today so please chime in.  I would have just called a travel agent today but they were saying that the special would end at midnight before extending the sale to cyber Monday.

NCL Encore August 29th 2021 departing Seattle. 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids) in a balcony cabin (BF category) $5,200 total for cruise AND air combined for all 4 of us.

Background: we have two kids traveling with us (8 and 9).  They are excited about the onboard activities on the Encore (go carts etc.) They have cruised Disney before and LOVED it.  However, the price difference on this itinerary was very significant.  

Can you please provide feedback on this ship/itinerary?  Should the fact that is doesn't dock in Glacier Bay be a deal

breaker?  I can still cancel and rebook today.  (The cruise is cancelable for a bit but the flights will go to airline credit after 24 hours.)

Sun          Seattle

Mon         At Sea

Tues        2:30-11 Juneau

Wed         7-8:15 Skagway

Thur         Cruise Glacier Bay (does not dock)

Fri             7-1:15 Ketchikan

Sat            7PM-12PM Victoria

Sun           Seattle

Unless you are going to AK for the onboard ship activities instead of for the wonders of AK, the cruise sounds horrible to me.  You get only half a day in Juneau and Ketchikan.  Other respondents have told you about the issue w Victoria and the fact that no ships dock in Glacier Bay.  Also, by leaving from Seattle instead of from Vancouver, you get to cruise to AK on the outside passage instead of the inside passage.  The inside passage is more scenic.  Check on some other choices and come back to CC and ask about them.

DON

Thank you for the feedback.  I am going to look into other itineraries after feedback and further research today. 

I don't particularly love the big ships either... but the kids love the onboard activities and it's just more comfortable taking younger kids along when it's not a boutique experience.  So, the size of the ship, go carts etc. are a pro for this specific trip.  However, I don't want to sacrifice the experience of seeing Alaska (which is the point).

I hope and believe that we will have a vaccine in wide distribution by May/June.  This is one reason that we decided to book later in the season.  I'm hopeful!  I can't wait to get back to travel!

4 hours ago, summerou said:

Thank you for the feedback.  I am going to look into other itineraries after feedback and further research today. 

I don't particularly love the big ships either... but the kids love the onboard activities and it's just more comfortable taking younger kids along when it's not a boutique experience.  So, the size of the ship, go carts etc. are a pro for this specific trip.  However, I don't want to sacrifice the experience of seeing Alaska (which is the point).

I hope and believe that we will have a vaccine in wide distribution by May/June.  This is one reason that we decided to book later in the season.  I'm hopeful!  I can't wait to get back to travel!

You should also consider that the Alaska ships normally arrive in April/May, so if the early cruises don't go, it could be likely that later cruises wont sail either, as the ships may not be deployed to Alaska.

You get shorter times in port on RT Seattle cruises. It will give you a taste of Alaska but isn't the best itinerary for Alaska. Though, honestly - there is so much to see in Alaska, you will need to plan future trips 🙂 

Maybe not the best itinerary (or ship) for an Alaskan cruise but I think with kids your age might be different.  We have cruised to Alaska with kids  (Disney cruises) and I completely agree about having loads of activities for them on the ship.  We enjoyed the journey and experience of on-board activities as much as the destination.  Hubby and I cruise to Alaska a lot as empty nesters but our cruises with the kids had a different focus.  We both worked and loved spending time with them on the ship as much as we did in ports.  

Our kids loved some tours (dog sledding, kayaking) and were bored on others (Skagway train, whale watching).  Second trip with kids, hubby and I actually left them on board one time because they preferred to stay onboard with friends.  Win win for all. We also spent more time in ports on the second cruise DIYing (hiking, NP and state parks).

Glacier Bay is actually a fun day for kids. The park rangers usually bring exhibits on board (animal bones, skin, ice, etc) which are fun and informative.  Best part though is the fact that kids have an opportunity to participate in the Junior Ranger program.  Lots of fun—but only for a couple of hours.  A full day of glacier viewing (which I loved) got old with the kids.  It was nice to have other activities for the kids while hubby and I continued our glacier watch.

Skagway also has a great Junior Ranger program if your kids are interested in that.

• Like 1

I just want to thank the OP for posting this, as well as all of these helpful response!  Thanks to you all, we have switched our cruise from September 2022 on the Encore to the Jewel One way from Vancouver to Seward.  That way, we will have more time in Alaska.  Thanks to all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, maja651 said:

I just want to thank the OP for posting this, as well as all of these helpful response!  Thanks to you all, we have switched our cruise from September 2022 on the Encore to the Jewel One way from Vancouver to Seward.  That way, we will have more time in Alaska.  Thanks to all!

Seward is a great gem! See if you can spend time there. Many just go from ship to train or ship to bus and miss it all together. Maybe spend some time in Alaska after your cruise.

14 hours ago, Coral said:

Seward is a great gem! See if you can spend time there. Many just go from ship to train or ship to bus and miss it all together. Maybe spend some time in Alaska after your cruise.

Yes, the plan is to spend at least one night in Seward, and then train to Anchorage, pickup car there, drive to Denali National Park and stay there a few nights. We will most likely rent a house from VRBO as we are traveling late in the season  (our cruise ends on September 26 in Seward). 

Any must sees in Seward, Denali or anywhere in between?

8 hours ago, maja651 said:

Yes, the plan is to spend at least one night in Seward, and then train to Anchorage, pickup car there, drive to Denali National Park and stay there a few nights. We will most likely rent a house from VRBO as we are traveling late in the season  (our cruise ends on September 26 in Seward). 

Any must sees in Seward, Denali or anywhere in between?

Ouch - that is late. Have you done research on the weather in September in Alaska? You have the potential for horribly windy, rainy weather. May is the dries month (historically) and September is the wettest. There have been reports of ships that couldn't leave the dock in September due to such high winds and bad storms. Unless the cruise is practically free - I probably would not go that late in the season. Maybe I would because I have been there a ton but not for a first visit. 

Edited by Coral

• 2 months later...

Thank you OP for starting this thread...I am trying to make the same decision.  Although we are not travelling with children I have been trying to figure out which itinerary.

Question for those experienced Alaska cruisers.  Everything I have read is that Glacier Bay is a must.  We are leaning toward the Jewel because the Port times are better, we will cruise through the inside passage and will be a one way instead of r/t from Seattle.  Will be be making a mistake not seeing Glacier Bay?  

12 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Thank you OP for starting this thread...I am trying to make the same decision.  Although we are not travelling with children I have been trying to figure out which itinerary.

Question for those experienced Alaska cruisers.  Everything I have read is that Glacier Bay is a must.  We are leaning toward the Jewel because the Port times are better, we will cruise through the inside passage and will be a one way instead of r/t from Seattle.  Will be be making a mistake not seeing Glacier Bay?  

Unfortunately, since we don't know your expectations of cruising Alaska, only you will know if it is a mistake to miss GB. As with everything, selecting an Alaska cruise, especially if it is only 7-days, is all about priorities.

Personally, for me GB is one of the highlights of an Alaska cruise and I used to be there every week. It isn't just the wildlife and glaciers, for me the highlight is the information provided by the Rangers, who board the ship and spend the day. The other consideration, GB is the only glaciers where I have a 100% access record. Missed Tracy multiple times and Hubbard 2 or 3 times.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, since we don't know your expectations of cruising Alaska, only you will know if it is a mistake to miss GB. As with everything, selecting an Alaska cruise, especially if it is only 7-days, is all about priorities.

Personally, for me GB is one of the highlights of an Alaska cruise and I used to be there every week. It isn't just the wildlife and glaciers, for me the highlight is the information provided by the Rangers, who board the ship and spend the day. The other consideration, GB is the only glaciers where I have a 100% access record. Missed Tracy multiple times and Hubbard 2 or 3 times.

Thank you for the input....I am still torn on which itinerary.  I have started a pro/con list to help us decide.  We were also thinking the Seward/Vancouver would us allow time for Denali as opposed to only Seattle.  I just keep going around in circles like a dog chasing its tail.   

I just realized that in 2023 the Jewel sails from Vancouver, inside passage which would be at night is my guess, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and then Seward where we could head to Denali!  I think I have found the perfect cruise and maybe I will stop chasing my tail.

45 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I just realized that in 2023 the Jewel sails from Vancouver, inside passage which would be at night is my guess, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and then Seward where we could head to Denali!  I think I have found the perfect cruise and maybe I will stop chasing my tail.

N'bd cruises from Vancouver cruise up Georgia Strait the first night, which is about 10 mls wide at Vancouver, tapers to very narrow by Campbell River. Time at Campbell River depends on slack water at Seymour Narrows, but usually about 22:00 to 23:00. You transit the BC Inside Passage at night.

Next day you transit mostly open water, arriving in Alaska Inside Passage about sunset. In Alaska you transit the Inside Passage most of the time, except the last day, if going to Seward.

On S'bd Seward to Vancouver, you transit the BC Inside Passage in daylight.

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

N'bd cruises from Vancouver cruise up Georgia Strait the first night, which is about 10 mls wide at Vancouver, tapers to very narrow by Campbell River. Time at Campbell River depends on slack water at Seymour Narrows, but usually about 22:00 to 23:00. You transit the BC Inside Passage at night.

Next day you transit mostly open water, arriving in Alaska Inside Passage about sunset. In Alaska you transit the Inside Passage most of the time, except the last day, if going to Seward.

On S'bd Seward to Vancouver, you transit the BC Inside Passage in daylight.

Thank you that is what I thought but I don't believe the southbound does Glacier Bay.....I will look again.

Hubbard Glacier is huge, considerably bigger than any of the ones you see in GB, but the channel can be icebound and prevent access. I have seen this only a few times.

Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott Arm and I have never done this one. Our three Glacier stops were Tracy, GB and Hubbard.

For me, the attraction of GB is the Ranger presentations. 

Good luck making a decision.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Hubbard Glacier is huge, considerably bigger than any of the ones you see in GB, but the channel can be icebound and prevent access. I have seen this only a few times.

Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott Arm and I have never done this one. Our three Glacier stops were Tracy, GB and Hubbard.

For me, the attraction of GB is the Ranger presentations. 

Good luck making a decision.

Thank you!  I am still leaning toward Glacier Bay and maybe someday I will go back and take a southbound to see the inside passage.

4 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

Thank you!  I am still leaning toward Glacier Bay and maybe someday I will go back and take a southbound to see the inside passage.

If the Inside Passage is of real interest, be aware that most of the mass market ships spend very little time in the Inside Passage these days. Especially those that sail from Seattle and San Francisco.

The smaller premium/luxury ships spend more time in the Inside Passage. However, the best option is a trip on BC Ferries and/or Alaska Marine Highway ferries. Alaska has a ship that operates out of Bellingham and does the entire coast, but does operate 24 hrs a day, so some sections are at night.

In the summer, BC operates a sailing from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Alternating N'bd and S'bd. Departs about 07:00 and arrives about 22:30, so the entire route is daylight/dusk, in early summer. Alaska then picks up pax in Prince Rupert.

You can sail as pax, with or without a vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been twice in mid September and experienced great weather.

Our first glacier was Hubbard Glacier and it was breathtaking. Glacier Bay

is also beautiful, however, Hubbard Glacier seemed more impressive.

September also allows possible easier access to the glaciers... our Captain

got us all of the way to Sawyer Glacier. Gorgeous!