Renewing Passport when traveling is not encouraged

myfuzzy

Our passports expired spring 2020, and already have had 3 cruises cancelled, the latest one January 2021.  We were also looking at a cruise for November 2021, but right now that one has been listed as "not available".  We have pushed the next cruise to January 2022, but we are getting to that "advanced" age and not sure what our future holds for our health.  Do we go ahead and hope for the best and renew our passports...maybe for just one cruise that really doesn't justify the cost or does anything think cruise lines will insist on having it.  We do have the Enhanced licenses...that are accepted documentation for cruises, but the Custom guy told us one time they hate those.  Or do we just call it a day and reserve the local Best Western

NOt sure where are you from - but the cost of a passport renewal is generally trivial  compared to the cost of a cruise. I feel very nervous when I don't have a current passport.  At the moment we're not really able to leave the country - and I'd still renew mine 

• Like 1

It might be the perfect time.  Perhaps few others are doing at this time.

We always have passports that have at least eight months on them.   Six months required for some countries, and we often travel for two months at a time.  In the scheme of travel expenses, passport costs are not worth concerning ourselves about.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iancal said:

It might be the perfect time.  Perhaps few others are doing at this time.

We always have passports that have at least eight months on them.   Six months required for some countries, and we often travel for two months at a time.  In the scheme of travel expenses, passport costs are not worth concerning ourselves about.

We would probably just be going on one cruise, if in fact that goes in Jan 2022,  That's why my question.  Why renew a passport for just one cruise.

Myfuzzy, I hope for more than one cruise for you. For us too! So many of us “cruisers” are not getting any younger but really no one knows what the day after today brings no matter what age we are. If you are able to do so financially I would suggest renewing passports. I for some reason have a level of comfort just knowing I have a Passport.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:24 PM, cellfree said:

Myfuzzy, I hope for more than one cruise for you. For us too! So many of us “cruisers” are not getting any younger but really no one knows what the day after today brings no matter what age we are. If you are able to do so financially I would suggest renewing passports. I for some reason have a level of comfort just knowing I have a Passport.

Thanks for your support.  I have to think about it.  After all, why buy something if you aren't going to use it

My best reason for keeping a passport valid is my best cruise deals have shown up too late to get a passport.  I have snagged 3 great cruises I couldn't have taken without a passport in hand.  

Also, if I feel healthy enough to make a cruise, or just visit a foreign country, I don't want any unnecessary roadblocks.  A passport is $10 or $12 a year.  Cheap peace of mind but your mileage may vary.

I say go with the choice that gives YOU the most peace of mind.

Renewing all of ours right now.  I guess it depends on where you want to cruise.  I assume the enhanced drivers license is fine for entry into Canada, US, and Mexico.  Would doubt other counties or even the cruise line may accept it.  I would do it sooner than later, as there will probably be a backlog when travel resumes.  I renewed our family trusted traveller cards and 1 got stuck in covid shutdowns.  Just shows pending for almost a year now

We keep our passports well up to date for the same reason.  We want to be able to take advantage of last minute offers.

I suspect that post covid, when things start to return to normal, many people will be applying for, or renewing passports.  My feeling would be to renew now when you can afford to wait if necessary.

Our experience is that trusted traveler cards such as nexus take much longer to get or renew than do passports.  In the past we have experienced passport turn around times of a week to ten days while we waited months for our nexus appointments and cards.

• 4 months later...
On 12/1/2020 at 4:59 PM, lobsternight said:

Renewing all of ours right now.  I guess it depends on where you want to cruise.  I assume the enhanced drivers license is fine for entry into Canada, US, and Mexico.  Would doubt other counties or even the cruise line may accept it.  I would do it sooner than later, as there will probably be a backlog when travel resumes.  I renewed our family trusted traveller cards and 1 got stuck in covid shutdowns.  Just shows pending for almost a year now

Not Canada Americans need a passport to come into Canada and to get back into the USA

We just renewed our american passports.  It took 10 weeks to receive them.  Needed them updated for a november 2021 cruise.  (we hope).

Another thought.  On Oct 1 2021 you will need an enhanced drivers license or passport to fly.  Demand will be high in the summer to get either. Want to be ready!

• Like 1

I do not understand the issue. The cost of a passport is miniscule compared to the cost of travel.   

Cannot imagine being stuck in a country because of a cruise ship problem or medical issue  and not having the proper documentation for onward travel home.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 3:10 PM, cellfree said:

Not sure, but think renewing a Passport is an easier task than getting a new Passport after one has expired.

You are good if it is not expired too long.

I think the limit is 5 years.  After that, it is like getting a first one.

I NEVER let mine expire.

Writing from Eastern Europe right now. 😄

We almost got stuck by not keeping up on our passports. We have a cruise leaving in three weeks. A few months ago we got vaccinated and decided to put our vaccination document with our passport since we figured we would need it to travel. When I got my passport out I noticed it had expired the later part of last year. If it wasn't for the vaccination doc I would not have looked at it until a couple of days to travel. Long story short, filled out the paperwork and paid for expedited handling to be sure it got back in time. Cost of $70 per passport and it still took over 6 weeks, The new expiration date is 10 years from now.  

I filled out my passport application online while on an RV trip in June. I intended to print out the application and send it it as soon as we got home (around the 17th). On the 21st, I somehow lost my driver license (I'm 99.4858% sure it fell out of my pocket at a brewery). I was very glad I'd been too busy/distracted since getting home to have mailed in my passport and application. We had a 4 week trip to Hawaii leaving on the 24th. My passport was the only way for me to be able to get on the plane. It would have really sucked to have Hubby go on our 30th anniversary trip without me. 

We got home shortly after midnight Friday, and I Priority mailed in the application, with the fees for expiditing both processing and shipping. I'll be surprised if I get the new one in time for our closed-loop Alaska cruises in mid-late September. I'm glad I can get by with my (replacement) Enhanced DL and birth certificate. 

Whew!

On 7/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, MamaFej said:

I filled out my passport application online while on an RV trip in June. I intended to print out the application and send it it as soon as we got home (around the 17th). On the 21st, I somehow lost my driver license (I'm 99.4858% sure it fell out of my pocket at a brewery). I was very glad I'd been too busy/distracted since getting home to have mailed in my passport and application. We had a 4 week trip to Hawaii leaving on the 24th. My passport was the only way for me to be able to get on the plane. It would have really sucked to have Hubby go on our 30th anniversary trip without me. 

We got home shortly after midnight Friday, and I Priority mailed in the application, with the fees for expiditing both processing and shipping. I'll be surprised if I get the new one in time for our closed-loop Alaska cruises in mid-late September. I'm glad I can get by with my (replacement) Enhanced DL and birth certificate. 

Whew!

FYI--If you have it, your Global Entry card works as REAL ID for domestic air travel.

In my area (suburban Philadelphia) passport renewals are now taking about 12 weeks for expedited service with express mail service added, and regular service is now being quoted at about 18 weeks. For anyone who plans to travel during the remainder of 2021 or early 2022, who needs to renew their passport, I would strongly urge you to get the necessary forms submitted. Many of the "normal" short turnaround passport renewal options are either unavailable or very limited, making them useless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ducklite said:

FYI--If you have it, your Global Entry card works as REAL ID for domestic air travel.

I do. I hadn't even considered that. Thank you.

Now, I wish I had used it for Hawaii and sent my passport in for renewal four weeks earlier.

Maybe your post can help someone else. Again, thanks. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 7:09 AM, DE Solo said:

In my area (suburban Philadelphia) passport renewals are now taking about 12 weeks for expedited service with express mail service added, and regular service is now being quoted at about 18 weeks. For anyone who plans to travel during the remainder of 2021 or early 2022, who needs to renew their passport, I would strongly urge you to get the necessary forms submitted. Many of the "normal" short turnaround passport renewal options are either unavailable or very limited, making them useless.

Would agree with this. we needed to renew ours because we have a cruise schedule for August and didn't notice ours was out. By good luck I went to put my vaccination card in them in Feb. and noticed they had expired. Sent them in with express processing to be sure and it still took about 9 weeks before we got them back. New ones are good for 10 years so we dodged a bullet on this one. 

• 5 months later...

IF you are in good health NOW... get those passports renewed. Are you going to sit around looking at each other waiting to get sick??? My husband is 82 and the key to staying healthy is to KEEP MOVING. (that and tequila)

Who knows what will happen in 2 years or 20 years. I find comfort in having a passport. I even keep both of ours on me at all times. I laugh and tell people its in case the sh*t ever hits the fan and my husband and I need to drive to an airport and get on the next flight out of the USA. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I will NEVER let my passport expire until the day I am living in a care home.  Life comes at you fast, and you never know when the opportunity of a lifetime will present itself.  About 35 years ago I had a coworker who was offered the opportunity to go to Australia for two weeks with a group of other guys.  One of the four had to cancel the paid in full trip at the last minute, and my coworker would only need to pay about a hundred dollars in change fees for the name.  (That was when you could do so.)  He had the vacation time built up, the cost was nominal, and he didn't go.  Because he didn't have a passport.  

Not to mention it is very easy to renew a passport, the entire process can be done by mail outside of getting the photo taken at a local AAA, Walgreens, etc.  Not so when applying for a new passport or renewing a passport that expired over a year prior.

I actually renew mine about a year prior to it expiring each time.  Most of the places I travel to require six months of validity, and I want plenty of time for them to be able to get around to processing it without stressing about it being delayed.

• Like 2

On 7/25/2021 at 3:53 PM, MamaFej said:

I'm glad I can get by with my (replacement) Enhanced DL and birth certificate. 

Whew!

There have been a few posts here that confused an Enhanced driver's license with RealID. 

All states issue RealID DLs. It meets the Federal requirements forva picture ID so it can be used to fly.

An Enhanced DL is only issued by a handful of states on the Canadian border. In addition to being good for anything a RealID does, it can be used to enter Mexico and Canada by land or sea (but not by air) and for close loop cruises without a birth certificate - pretty much the same as a Passport Card. (I don't know why Mexican border states haven't decided to issue Enhanced DLs, but California doesn't so unless MamaFej has moved, what she has is a RealID.)

I recognized my error after the edit window had passed. I figured I'd let it ride all those months ago. new_cruiser is correct. 

Regarding that same post, I did receive my passport in time for that September trip, though it remeianed unstamped until December. It is scheduled to get quite a bit of use this year, with over 100 days of international travel. 

• Like 1