Celebrity Edge & Apex; Single Infinite Veranda Staterooms

farmersfight

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Topic: The first in class Celebrity Edge has 16 single infinite veranda staterooms. Her younger (brand new) class mate & sister ship Celebrity Apex has 24 single infinite veranda staterooms. Discuss...

Based on the deck plans, Celebrity kept the same layout but changed 8 Panoramic Oceanview rooms into Single Infinite Verandas. The Panoramic Oceanview and Infinite Veranda are identical including the floor-to-ceiling window, except that the IV's window opens and the POV's does not. It looks like you'll get a slightly larger SIV if you book one of those eight, so definitely try to get one of them!

Considering how Celebrity pricing hits the solo cruiser wallet, I appreciate that they increased the number of single cabins on Apex. There's no espresso machine for solos (unlike NCL's Studio area) but specialty coffees are included in the standard drink package so we're good.

Edited by coastcat

51 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Based on the deck plans, Celebrity kept the same layout but changed 8 Panoramic Oceanview rooms into Single Infinite Verandas. The Panoramic Oceanview and Infinite Veranda are identical including the floor-to-ceiling window, except that the IV's window opens and the POV's does not. It looks like you'll get a slightly larger SIV if you book one of those eight, so definitely try to get one of them!

Considering how Celebrity pricing hits the solo cruiser wallet, I appreciate that they increased the number of single cabins on Apex. There's no espresso machine for solos (unlike NCL's Studio area) but specialty coffees are included in the standard drink package so we're good.

Thanks, that's great information. I didn't know that Celebrity changed those 8 Panoramic Oceanview rooms into Single Infinite Verandas. Q; were the original 8 POVs for single occupancy or did they change to single occupancy when Celebrity changed them to SIVs?

Interesting what you said about those 8 SIV's being slightly larger than the other 16 SIV's. I'll double check the deck plans. I did notice that all 24 SIVs are on the same deck (deck 6).

On the Celebrity web site, they have a informative section for solo cruisers. Celebrity specifically states in this section that they are "keeping their thumb on the pulse" of the changing demographics of their customers where the trend was and still is with the increasing # of solo cruisers. So, it appears that Celebrity has really started responding to the solo cruiser market, as evidenced by building in 16 SIVs on Edge and following that up by not only again building in 16 SIVs but increasing the number to 24. Good for us solos, eh?

I know Celebrity is RCL's upscale subsidiary line. So more $$. But, I guess I'll have to save up the $$ if I ever want to actually experience one of those SIV's. Also, the innovative "Magic Carpet" on Edge & Apex seems pretty cool. However, jimho, the Magic Carpet is kind of ugly hanging off the starboard side of the ship and looks out of place. It almost looks like painters' scaffolding...

4 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks, that's great information. I didn't know that Celebrity changed those 8 Panoramic Oceanview rooms into Single Infinite Verandas. Q; were the original 8 POVs for single occupancy or did they change to single occupancy when Celebrity changed them to SIVs?

Interesting what you said about those 8 SIV's being slightly larger than the other 16 SIV's. I'll double check the deck plans. I did notice that all 24 SIVs are on the same deck (deck 6).

On the Celebrity web site, they have a informative section for solo cruisers. Celebrity specifically states in this section that they are "keeping their thumb on the pulse" of the changing demographics of their customers where the trend was and still is with the increasing # of solo cruisers. So, it appears that Celebrity has really started responding to the solo cruiser market, as evidenced by building in 16 SIVs on Edge and following that up by not only again building in 16 SIVs but increasing the number to 24. Good for us solos, eh?

I know Celebrity is RCL's upscale subsidiary line. So more $$. But, I guess I'll have to save up the $$ if I ever want to actually experience one of those SIV's. Also, the innovative "Magic Carpet" on Edge & Apex seems pretty cool. However, jimho, the Magic Carpet is kind of ugly hanging off the starboard side of the ship and looks out of place. It almost looks like painters' scaffolding...

Edge-class seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it design, based on what I've read in the Celebrity forum here. The Magic Carpet attracts a fair bit of attention, not all positive. Same goes for the Infinite Veranda concept. But what the heck, I'm not much of a traditionalist and am looking forward to experiencing Edge's edginess.

Celebrity does need to fix their pricing for solos. Not everyone will want to pay for an Infinite Veranda - some want interior cabins, others want proper balconies, and all of them are now being overcharged due to the new all-inclusive concept. I don't think that will be resolved soon, though, since the cruise lines need to get through the current financial crunch first. (my employer is adjacent to the travel industry and we're crossing our fingers for a bounce-back in 2021)

The Panoramic Oceanview is a standard cabin, 2-4 person occupancy. It's hard to say for certain, but it sure looks like the eight new Single Infinite Veranda cabins are the same size. Someone needs to book one of those rooms on Apex and report back!

• Thanks 1