Has anyone heard of Celebrity “trial runs”?

PRH

Celebrity cannot start sailing without certifications (assuming a certificate per ship?).  So wondering if anyone has heard that any Celebrity ships are starting to do test runs to comply with certification requirements?  Since they are still selling cruises in January 2021, including some over 7 nights, one could be skeptical that they will sail if not even one Celebrity ship has been scheduled to trial protocols.  

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that RCG doesn't have to do a trial run for every ship. They can do a few and it applies to all their lines. But don't quote me on that, I'm not sure of all the details. 

2 hours ago, ORV said:

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that RCG doesn't have to do a trial run for every ship. They can do a few and it applies to all their lines. But don't quote me on that, I'm not sure of all the details. 

No, I think it is per ship.  Like you, don't quote me on that tho...🙃

First they have to get crew to the ships and then  the crew has to quarantine for 2 weeks.   The crew also needs  be trained on the new protocols  So I would say that   chance of sailing with paying passengers in January is very unlikely.

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Quote me on this, none of us will be on a cruise in Jan 2021

I called Celebrity today and was told (apparently not by a reliable person) that an announcement would be made in a few hours! I have a sailing on the Apex on Jan. 2, 2021 - or was supposed to have - who knows!

5 minutes ago, luv2cruise391 said:

I called Celebrity today and was told (apparently not by a reliable person) that an announcement would be made in a few hours! I have a sailing on the Apex on Jan. 2, 2021 - or was supposed to have - who knows!

Yawn.

Cruising cannot begin until COVID numbers drop significantly from the US.  Lots of steps including port agreements, the 6 weeks it takes to get crew in place and trained.  Impossible for January.  I also agree it is sad Celebrity and several other cruiselines continue to sell cruises they know cannot happen.

Well it looks like  Celebrity is  finally cancelling January & February.  They are still selling March & beyond.  Does anyone think they will bring the Infinity & Connie from the Med to sail tge Caribbean in March & April🤔

5 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Well it looks like  Celebrity is  finally cancelling January & February.  They are still selling March & beyond.  Does anyone think they will bring the Infinity & Connie from the Med to sail tge Caribbean in March & April🤔

seems they have been selling Jan and Feb even though they knew they would not be sailing.  SO today, Dec 1, they do this, expect them to let folks know about March and April not until Feb

16 hours ago, ORV said:

Based on all I read an hear you are correct. As long as the guidelines are the same (and they are) they do not have to do a trial run on every ship.

Even if they do, they can do them with staff and family instead of volunteers from the customer side.

That´s what they did with Quantum in Singapore before yesterday´s first sailing.

1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

Based on all I read an hear you are correct. As long as the guidelines are the same (and they are) they do not have to do a trial run on every ship.

Even if they do, they can do them with staff and family instead of volunteers from the customer side.

That´s what they did with Quantum in Singapore before yesterday´s first sailing.

It would surprise me greatly if the trial cruises were not required for each and every ship, separately.  This would be like the CDC inspecting one ship for the VSP, and saying that all sister ships complied with the sanitation procedures by extension.  Or the USCG inspecting one ship, and saying that all the sister ships met SOLAS requirements and didn't need to be inspected.  Even for original certificates of compliance for the VSP and USCG, each ship is inspected and tested to ensure compliance.

The trial cruises are as much to determine whether the crew is trained to meet the emergency situations that may arise in an outbreak, as whether or not the procedures are sufficient to meet the demands.  You could say that the procedures are proper and sufficient, but without the actual crew onboard being trained and tested in executing those procedures, the desired results may not happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

It would surprise me greatly if the trial cruises were not required for each and every ship, separately.  This would be like the CDC inspecting one ship for the VSP, and saying that all sister ships complied with the sanitation procedures by extension.  Or the USCG inspecting one ship, and saying that all the sister ships met SOLAS requirements and didn't need to be inspected.  Even for original certificates of compliance for the VSP and USCG, each ship is inspected and tested to ensure compliance.

The trial cruises are as much to determine whether the crew is trained to meet the emergency situations that may arise in an outbreak, as whether or not the procedures are sufficient to meet the demands.  You could say that the procedures are proper and sufficient, but without the actual crew onboard being trained and tested in executing those procedures, the desired results may not happen.

Cost guard and SOLAS requirements are a different thing...
Re Covid guidelines it´s more a validation of the process itself, which will and must be the same on every ship.

But just like many other discussions at the moment, these are all speculations and we will know for sure, when it actually happens.

I look at the way it has been handled by the cruise lines already sailing in Europe where the guidelines are 99% the same and draw my conclusions from there. Except for MSC the cruise lines which already sailed many times belong to either Carnival or the RCG. 

Edited by Miaminice

RCCL has started volunteer runs in Singapore and over 200,000 volunteers have signed up so far according to CC News this week.  So will Celebrity also do volunteer runs on EDGE and APEX first?  The highest priority volunteers on RCCL ships are Pinnacle members.  So it might follow that Zenith members would be given priority on Celebrity.  In any scenario I would never volunteer even for a free cruise at this point.  We are literally weeks to months away from a vaccine.  Why risk it now?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

RCCL has started volunteer runs in Singapore and over 200,000 volunteers have signed up so far according to CC News this week.  

One 2 night trial run in Singapore was with staff and family only - not volunteers as in the search for the US. Now, since 12/1, Quantum sails with paying guest - 27 % capacity.
The 200.000 who signed up are for US only.

Edited by Miaminice

34 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

In any scenario I would never volunteer even for a free cruise at this point. 

LOL--- Holy Cow ---Same here---- ( That's two for two today ).

Until cruising restarts and people report what's it was like , we will just stay home and freeze our " a--" off . 

Oh Boy, I just thought of the stress on the Staff ----- ( social distancing , elevators , buffet line , lounge chairs at the pool , theatre seating, and the 2000 " mini police " ). 

7 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Until cruising restarts and people report what's it was like , we will just stay home and freeze our " a--" off . 

Oh Boy, I just thought of the stress on the Staff ----- ( social distancing , elevators , buffet line , lounge chairs at the pool , theatre seating, and the 2000 " mini police " ). 

Pinboy, hopefully Canada too will approve a vaccine soon and you can put an end to your frozen a--- !.  Probably Moderna's vaccine first.  Here is some info for you on prioritization in Canada if you have not seen this before.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/immunization/national-advisory-committee-on-immunization-naci/guidance-key-populations-early-covid-19-immunization.html

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

I accept your decision! I would choose where to cruise - currently not from the US/Caribbean!

However, the mentioned worries are NOT really a problem and no stress. This has been proven on many cruises under the same guidelines by MSC, TUI etc.

TUI sailed with a total of over 40,000 passengers before they were forced to reduce their offer to the Canary Islands only again due to Germany´s lockdown and Greece´s lockdown. And they still offer cruises there. Plus a 35 day cruise to the Caribbean and back - incl. 9 days on an island. Rumors say it might be Coco Cay. MSC is still sailing in Italy - without problems.

If you really wonder what the experience on board is lik3. Here´s our report: 

Edited by Miaminice

39 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Pinboy, hopefully Canada too will approve a vaccine soon and you can put an end to your frozen a--- !.  Probably Moderna's vaccine first.  Here is some info for you on prioritization in Canada if you have not seen this before.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/immunization/national-advisory-committee-on-immunization-naci/guidance-key-populations-early-covid-19-immunization.html

A related article. No decisions to date, but it seems that both federal and provincial health authorities want to adopt a common approach. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/pm-feds-provinces-agree-vaccine-prioritization-should-be-consistent-canada-wide-1.5212042

19 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The language in the order talks about cruise ship operator. However the first line in the definition of cruise ship operator refers to the Master of the vessel and necessary crew which would imply by ship.

19 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Well, if ANY Zenith wishes to take me along for the trial sailing, I volunteer ....!

😉

bon voyage

Bo, please stay home for now and be well and be safe.  Your comments and online presence here is too valuable! 😀 If some Zeniths want to go on a volunteer cruise and risk COVID best of luck to them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1