Scared...But Booked - Oasis - October 24, 2021

Nessa1dc

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I find it anything but reassuring that our cdc has to stonewall this until xmas while UK can decide much faster. I find their decisions to be political and think that's why they said will take the rest of the month, weeks, not days to decide because they are too busy eating in restaurants and golfing to get busy analyzing. 

I've really devoped a dislike of the cdc. Yes I think it's about politics. 

You do know the CDC doesn’t approve drugs or vaccines, right?

the FDA has consistently been more stringent on drug approvals than foreign (UK and EU) comparable regulatory agencies. This isn’t political. If the FDA were cutting corners, I would say that it is political in that national leaders are willing to put lives at risk for the sake of a PR win. They tried, but thankfully it was resisted. 

No matter what, there will be unhappy people:

- “I don’t want it because it was developed under trump!” (Trump probably doesn’t know what the m in mRNA stands for-thank God for our scientists)
- “I would have already had it if the scientists weren’t being political” (yes, people have pushed for the safety levers to be overlooked, and to push ahead with approval- thank God again for the scientists)

what you should realize is that people are highly skeptical of this vaccine- and the FDA needs to involve external advisors to make sure that every precaution is made for the sake of our country. If something does drastically wrong, and the public lose faith in this vaccine, they’ll stop taking it. They’ll overwhelm hospitals, and millions will die. The FDA gets one chance. This isn’t political except for the people calling it political, which looks childish. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I find it anything but reassuring that our cdc has to stonewall this until xmas while UK can decide much faster. I find their decisions to be political and think that's why they said will take the rest of the month, weeks, not days to decide because they are too busy eating in restaurants and golfing to get busy analyzing. 

I've really devoped a dislike of the cdc. Yes I think it's about politics. 

And plus also- 12 days slower is hardly “stonewalling til Christmas”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AtlantaAlly said:

the FDA has consistently been more stringent on drug approvals than foreign (UK and EU) comparable regulatory agencies. This isn’t political. If the FDA were cutting corners, I would say that it is political in that national leaders are willing to put lives at risk for the sake of a PR win. They tried, but thankfully it was resisted. 

- “I don’t want it because it was developed under trump!” (Trump probably doesn’t know what the m in mRNA stands for-thank God for our scientists)
- “I would have already had it if the scientists weren’t being political” (yes, people have pushed for the safety levers to be overlooked, and to push ahead with approval- thank God again for the scientists)

what you should realize is that people are highly skeptical of this vaccine- and the FDA needs to involve external advisors to make sure that every precaution is made for the sake of our country. If something does drastically wrong, and the public lose faith in this vaccine, they’ll stop taking it. They’ll overwhelm hospitals, and millions will die. The FDA gets one chance. This isn’t political except for the people calling it political, which looks childish. 

Oh, let me get this straight.  It's OK for you to drag politics into the conversation - which you clearly did by some of your comments, but but someone who calls it political is childish?  LOL.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, mek said:

Oh, let me get this straight.  It's OK for you to drag politics into the conversation - which you clearly did by some of your comments, but but someone who calls it political is childish?  LOL.

You mean my response to the clearly concerned original author who is concerned with taking a vaccine before Jan 20th? I didn’t start making it political- I simply tried to make it clear that the politicians aren’t messing with this- thankfully the medical and scientific leaders are in charge. 

17 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The good news since March is there has not been a single death due to old age, cancer, or any other ailment. All of them were due to covid. It is as if Covid has cured them both.

Quoted the wrong one. I’ll be back to respond to this BS.

Edited by AtlantaAlly
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mek said:

And it is HIGHLY political to call into question the integrity of scientists and doctors working around the clock - because it is saying that instead of getting a safe and effective vaccine approved ASAP, they would rather kill 15k Americans by waiting a week. Highly insulting and clearly political in nature. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

The good news since March is there has not been a single death due to old age, cancer, or any other ailment. All of them were due to covid. It is as if Covid has cured them both.

This is completely inaccurate. Not even a good try.

8D9D10C7-F059-49D9-B5FF-23FE163A06CD.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtlantaAlly said:

Thank you for saying what I was thinking

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

All one has to do is take the deaths from 2019 and compare them to the deaths in 2020. 2020 is far outpacing 2019 in the number of deaths, indicating that covid is mainly responsible for the excess of deaths from normal causes. It really is pretty simple. Here is a great article that explains the concept of calculating excess deaths: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Despite tweets to the contrary, there is no big conspiracy theory to fear monger by inflating the number of covid deaths. In fact, many actual scientists believe that the # of deaths are actually under reported.

One needs to read the actual science from actual scientists. Follow the science.

Edited by cured
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AtlantaAlly said:

This is completely inaccurate. Not even a good try.

8D9D10C7-F059-49D9-B5FF-23FE163A06CD.jpeg

If you were in stage 4 of cancer and covid brought you to the hospital and you died it was because of covid. You could have lived another day, week or month if you hadn't been sick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

If you were in stage 4 of cancer and covid brought you to the hospital and you died it was because of covid. You could have lived another day, week or month if you hadn't been sick. 

Correct.... I was pointing out the inaccuracy of the previous comment that no other diseases exist anymore.

On 12/2/2020 at 11:36 AM, dssking said:

Here's something to ponder :  Most everyone in the US and Canada are longing for a vaccine that will "solve this problem", whereby everyone feels better and safer that they have a vaccine in them that makes them LESS suseptable to "getting sick".  

Why did China recover WITHOUT a vaccine and no body said anything?  They have no cases.  (either that or they're not reporting any)...... 

Hm................

Because they shut down...COMPLETELY....but Americans are spoiled.  Our Gov't could certainly afford to pay people and Business for 2 mos...while we shut down and get the pandemic in control....but we want to believe in conspiracies, and fantasies and hoaxes and the tooth fairy.  I'm glad that the scientists did their thing and were able to get a vaccine in such a short time.  I dont mind them taking their time to get the logistics straight.  I appreciate it.  This Pandemic is NOT politics.  I dont care if your Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Independent, or dont really give a....I just want America to be America and look out for each other again and care whether another American gets sick...where did those people go?  Anyhoo....I'm really hoping to be able to cruise in October...my H and I need it.

On 12/1/2020 at 8:54 PM, AtlantaAlly said:

Mind sharing the source on your last point? This is the first I’m hearing it and would love to read up more on it. Thx

Sorry, missed this. I can't find the original article I read, but here is one published yesterday that also says the vaccine is showing promise. Not the most scientific journal, but better than the MSM.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/89990?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2020-12-04&eun=g1603815d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily Headlines Top Cat HeC 2020-12-04&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition

Edited by cured

I totally agree with you OP about some concerns. Of course it is not about a specific date. But the more people have been vaccinated, the more we know about it: Whether it works, if it is safe, if it has side effects etc. I will surely wait for a few months to see how it is going to develop.

I suppose that all measurements will still be necessary through 2021, but the infection risk will decrease in half a year due to many factors. For one, there is some small proportion of herd immunity. Then, there is also people who will be vaccinated. The situation is going to improve a lot already if around 50 % get immunity due to a vaccine – it is simple Math to see that.

By the way, don't get fooled by media about numbers of positive cases. What counts are the number of hospitalizations and excess death rates (compared to previous years). Statistically, there is not a single doubt that COVID is a big threat for society. Never forget: Maybe you are healthy and young, but the society is always as strong as the weakest.

• Like 1

Not sure what AtlantaAlly was trying to say by bringing Trump into the post.  Is he suppose to know all the medical stuff or is he at fault for not getting a vaccine sooner.  And do not worry about Americans staying home, if the new guy gets in he has already said he will close the country for a year.  And everything about the CDC can be political, because they are supported by politicans. JMHO

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Not sure what AtlantaAlly was trying to say by bringing Trump into the post.  Is he suppose to know all the medical stuff or is he at fault for not getting a vaccine sooner.  And do not worry about Americans staying home, if the new guy gets in he has already said he will close the country for a year.  And everything about the CDC can be political, because they are supported by politicans. JMHO

Oh my. 🙄 Would you please post a link to a transcript or a video of the speech where Biden said this? Since the "new guy" is already in, I would love to see or read it as it might sway my decision of whether or not to cancel my August cruise.

Edited by cured

On 12/3/2020 at 11:43 AM, Nessa1dc said:

Because they shut down...COMPLETELY....but Americans are spoiled.  Our Gov't could certainly afford to pay people and Business for 2 mos...while we shut down and get the pandemic in control....but we want to believe in conspiracies, and fantasies and hoaxes and the tooth fairy.  I'm glad that the scientists did their thing and were able to get a vaccine in such a short time.  I dont mind them taking their time to get the logistics straight.  I appreciate it.  This Pandemic is NOT politics.  I dont care if your Republican, Democrat, Liberal, Independent, or dont really give a....I just want America to be America and look out for each other again and care whether another American gets sick...where did those people go?  Anyhoo....I'm really hoping to be able to cruise in October...my H and I need it.

Are you serious?  Our government can afford to pay everyone and all business for two months. Where do you think that money is going to come from?  Hey let’s destroy our economy and raise the debt so our kids are penniless. Nice!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

The "new guy" WILL get in.. and no he never said that. I swear people are nuts with conspiracy theories and mis-information.

• Like 2