Royal Reveals Test Cruises-Pinnacles

18 hours ago, orville99 said:

We volunteered, and we'll go if we have the vaccine by then - depends on when Fla gets to first responders.

I would imagine Royal would want test cruisers who had neither been vaccinated, nor already had CoVID.    Otherwise it’s not a good evaluation of protocols if they use immune testers.    Just a thought. 

9 minutes ago, BSocial said:

I would imagine Royal would want test cruisers who had neither been vaccinated, nor already had CoVID.    Otherwise it’s not a good evaluation of protocols if they use immune testers.    Just a thought. 

Royal desperately needs these cruises to go off without a hitch (or a positive case).

They have zero interest playing junior scientist trying to scientifically prove a theorem or protocols.  The CDC knows this which is why the bar has been set so high.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal desperately needs these cruises to go off without a hitch (or a positive case).

They have zero interest playing junior scientist trying to scientifically prove a theorem or protocols.  The CDC knows this which is why the bar has been set so high.  

sorry I didn’t state that well.  I imagined that CDC during their evaluation of each test cruise, would ask Royal for the data on the test passengers - and they (CDC) would require the knowledge of whether test guys/gals had been vaccinated or already recovered.     I honestly don’t think CDC will take results from cruise lines without the info on the test pool. 

3 minutes ago, BSocial said:

sorry I didn’t state that well.  I imagined that CDC during their evaluation of each test cruise, would ask Royal for the data on the test passengers - and they (CDC) would require the knowledge of whether test guys/gals had been vaccinated or already recovered.     I honestly don’t think CDC will take results from cruise lines without the info on the test pool. 

Is this information even being collected?  

Royal needs to walk a fine line with respect to HIPAA.  Once you start collecting and storing health data for people it introduces requirements that clearly would be very difficult for their IT to deal with.  It is so far beyond Royal's comprehension and capability it's absurd to consider them collecting health data.  

This is why it's very attractive to outsource that to an app provider who does the storage and simply gives a red/green status for a guest to board a ship.  The 3rd party has to comply with HIPAA, not Royal, or an airline, or a baseball park, or whatever venue.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, BSocial said:

They will be testing processes, procedures, and responses to simulated crises, not seeing whether they can run a cruise without anyone getting covid. The last thing either the CDC or the cruise lines want is that level of unknown risk. The challenge is to test the control/mitigation actions of the cruise line without creating a real crisis in the process. Not at all unlike a municipal disaster drill where volunteers are given roles to play and staff are evaluated on how they deal with 1,000 randomly presented issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal needs to walk a fine line with respect to HIPAA.  Once you start collecting and storing health data for people it introduces requirements that clearly would be very difficult for their IT to deal with.  It is so far beyond Royal's comprehension and capability it's absurd to consider them collecting health data.  

This is why it's very attractive to outsource that to an app provider who does the storage and simply gives a red/green status for a guest to board a ship.  The 3rd party has to comply with HIPAA, not Royal, or an airline, or a baseball park, or whatever venue.  

oh I never thought about HIPAA !  Thanks for the reminder. 

I also want these trials to succeed, every ship.   And I’d hate for any test cruise delay due to a  technicality.     Your reasoning makes sense, @twangster    
thanks for the clarity.  I needed that.

Edited by BSocial
Added

36 minutes ago, orville99 said:

They will be testing processes, procedures, and responses to simulated crises, not seeing whether they can run a cruise without anyone getting covid. The last thing either the CDC or the cruise lines want is that level of unknown risk. The challenge is to test the control/mitigation actions of the cruise line without creating a real crisis in the process. Not at all unlike a municipal disaster drill where volunteers are given roles to play and staff are evaluated on how they deal with 1,000 randomly presented issues.

thanks, this is good information, and something I hadn’t considered. Same with @twangster’s response.   I appreciate the kind responses from both of you,  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

True, except that if the passenger gives informed consent to the cruise line regarding the data being collected, recorded, or saved, then HIPAA does not apply.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, orville99 said:

True, except that if the passenger gives informed consent to the cruise line regarding the data being collected, recorded, or saved, then HIPAA does not apply.

If that is a requirement to sail count me out.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Pretty gutsy of RCL if in fact they plan on using Pinnacles in their test cruises. Because of the requirement requires quite a lot of sailing to qualify, the people are usually quite older and that is the category of highest risk for the virus.

And any pinnacle has/had the choice to elect to go or not. 

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Pretty gutsy of RCL if in fact they plan on using Pinnacles in their test cruises. Because of the requirement requires quite a lot of sailing to qualify, the people are usually quite older and that is the category of highest risk for the virus.

With the double CAS points promo they need to cull current Pinnacles to make room for the up and coming.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

With the double CAS points promo they need to cull current Pinnacles to make room for the up and coming.  

Wouldn’t doubt that in the least. Why didn’t I think of that?

If a Pinnacle decides to go, it’s on them. Make sure you have your affairs in order, just in case.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

😨Tongue planted firmly in cheek... SOP in medical research - genetically engineer a lab rat to become oversensitive to the disease being studied, then inject them with a the trial "cure" and expose them to the disease and see what happens😵😱.

• Haha 1

CDC head Dr. Robert Redfield warns that worsening COVID outbreaks in the months of January and February could create the worst public health crisis we have ever seen.

Do any of you really think the CDC is going to allow test cruises to take place after reading this statement he just made?

I think a new No Sail Order is in the works that would cover through May 31 2021 and will be rolled out late January.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

CDC head Dr. Robert Redfield warns that worsening COVID outbreaks in the months of January and February could create the worst public health crisis we have ever seen.

Do any of you really think the CDC is going to allow test cruises to take place after reading this statement he just made?

I think a new No Sail Order is in the works that would cover through May 31 2021 and will be rolled out late January.

He also said that we won't be able to hold large gatherings until the fall of 2021.  

If he is right about the situation through February there won't be test cruises in the spring and possibly not the summer.  Probably why Royal just raised another billion in a stock offer.  They already stated they have enough to survive most of 2021 without revenue.  If they thought cruises were imminent they wouldn't need to raise another billion.  They know.

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Not sure there is going to be enough cruises (ships/capacity) to make much impact in 2021. 

M8

RCI is taking care if the double points promotion the same way they took care of the $18 drink packages.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4