Pacific Princess 2021 Sailings Cancelled?

Syracusefan44

7 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

For Pacific, it feels like such a hard pill to swallow because it was THE last small ship in the fleet. And after Ocean was nixed just not too long ago (well, it kind of was, if we're coming to terms with that). And it made Princess what it was for the longest time--being able to balance both boutique-style options with its ever-expanding mass market leaning. So to send it off in this unceremonious fashion is very unfortunate, but I wasn't surprised. I don't know what Carnival ultimately wants Princess to be (other than a company of behemoths), but I would hope there are mid-sized replacements in the late-2020s/early-2030s for the continued wealth of options. Not everyone is drawn to the Vikings/Regents/etc. Anyways, onward and upward. 

The next generation of Princess ships will be 175,000 GRT and 4500 +/- LNG powered vessels. Expect them to be somewhat similar in overall hull design and layout to the P&O Iona, Costa Smeralda and Carnival Mardi Gras. 

Princess is a large ship line, which was signaled with the launch of Grand Princess, and the writing on the wall was cemented when the Royal Class were launched. As Coral/Island and the Grand class derivatives reach the ends of their lives and leave the fleet we can expect they will be replaced by ever larger vessels.  

Boutique ports or unique destinations will leave the Princess portfolio. I believe that Carnival Corp see HAL as the brand within their umbrella that will be the logical replacement for what Princess will lose, and Seabourn to a lesser extent as well. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Boutique ports or unique destinations will leave the Princess portfolio. I believe that Carnival Corp see HAL as the brand within their umbrella that will be the logical replacement for what Princess will lose, and Seabourn to a lesser extent as well. 

Yet HAL also lost 4 small ships in 2020. Some loyal HAL customers also feel it is time to say goodbye and find another replacement cruise line if they want to visit some unique ports.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

"All guests currently booked on these cancelled cruises for Pacific Princess will receive: 

• 100% value of cruise fare paid as a refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) 
  • Bonus non-refundable FCC equal to 25% of the cruise fare paid* 

  

*Bonus FCC minimum of $50 per person (minimum varies by FCC currency:  $50USD, $50CAD, $50AUD, £50GBP, €50EUR, ¥5,000) 

Since FCCs applied get no bonus, if you also had an FCD applied you will get a very generous $50 bonus FCC.

Wow!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Since FCCs applied get no bonus, if you also had an FCD applied you will get a very generous $50 bonus FCC.

Wow!

Yep.  We had 5 cruises booked on the Pacific Princess, held with FCDs. Apparently, in 2021, $250 is the value of crushed dreams and much melancholy. 🤣

17 hours ago, caribill said:

Not part of the announcement!

At the time I was told of the plans for her all the ships were sailing and the possibility of the sale going through during and existing booking suggested that she would finish that voyage before being turned over the new owners.  Once the pandemic hit, it was a new ballgame and an easy completion of the sale and transfer.

We are all sad to see her go.  Loved the intimate atmosphere of the ship and the ability to sail into harbors that big ships can't go.  I will still have my memories of both the Tahitian and Pacific Princess.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Wow!

Yes it gets even worse than that.  Since it was an FCD, we lose the OBC associated with it but in our case the bonus FCC will likely be equivalent since we will choose a 7 - 10 day replacement trip and would have gotten $50 OBC from the use of the FCD.  What won't be replaced is the $150 incentive OBC that we received for rebooking the Tahiti cruise that was cancelled last October.  The days of generous perks are over, that's for sure but I feel even worse for our TA who booked these two cruises (plus three others of our's) for zero income.

11 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Yep.  We had 5 cruises booked on the Pacific Princess, held with FCDs. Apparently, in 2021, $250 is the value of crushed dreams and much melancholy. 🤣

It's not the same but we just booked Holland America Zuiderdam 35 day RT Hawaii Tahiti cruise from San Diego Feb 27 - Apr 3 2022 that hits all the same islands as Pacific Princess and a couple of extras (only once of course!) and it doesn't require a Transpacific flight back from Tahiti or Australia/New Zealand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Did Princess ever make good on all of the refunds you were waiting for.

1 hour ago, nocl said:

Did Princess ever make good on all of the refunds you were waiting for.

I'm still waiting for mine ($1080).  Our Pacific Princess cruise was cancelled Nov 20.  No response to my email either.  We were trying Princess again after 20 years and they blew it royally with this cruise and 2 others.

Our favorite Princess cruises to date were on two of its Renaissance ships--the former Royal Princess in '07 in the Mediterranean and the Pacific Princess to Iceland, Norway etc. in '17.  Each had especially terrific service, we greatly appreciated the far easier embarkation and disembarkation and the ability to dock in smaller ports,  and we did not miss any big ship amenities. Oh well.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:21 AM, azbirdmom said:

Yes it gets even worse than that.  Since it was an FCD, we lose the OBC associated with it but in our case the bonus FCC will likely be equivalent since we will choose a 7 - 10 day replacement trip and would have gotten $50 OBC from the use of the FCD. 

Correct.

In my case, the OBC from using the FCD would have been $150 per person. So the $50 bonus FCC would be an actual negative $100 incentive.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 12:46 PM, azbirdmom said:

My TA forwarded an announcement from Princess about this. 

Similar to the last several announcements, we are sending the notice of these voyages being canceled ONLY to the Travel Advisors who have guests booked. The guests who booked with a Travel Advisor are not hearing from us directly until Friday (Jan 22) at around 10am PT.  Thus, each Agency/Travel Advisor has the opportunity to contact their clients directly to share the news and talk about the bonus FCC offer vs. the refund and hopefully get them rebooked on a new sailing."

In their (Princess) dreams.

The entire message from my wonderful TA was: "I'm sorry. Princess cancelled this sailing."

I do not blame the TA for not talking about the bonus FCC offer and rebooking on a new sailing as this was the third cruise we had that had been cancelled by Princess with zero compensation to the TA for all the work put in for these bookings.

• Like 2