What do you think the odds are that they will require.....

Shippy

100%; but I would think it would be like Yellow Fever wherein a doctor's note saying you could not take to vaccine would suffice.  However, since COVID vaccine is not a live vaccine I would think the exceptions would be fewer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mrlevin said:

100%; but I would think it would be like Yellow Fever wherein a doctor's note saying you could not take to vaccine would suffice.  However, since COVID vaccine is not a live vaccine I would think the exceptions would be fewer.

Agree 100% - very few exceptions. Any it would not surprise me if a medical excuse was NOT accepted in order to protect the rest of the people on board.

• Like 2

100% ....... hopefully with no exceptions.

Not sure why there should be any valid reasons for exception given the range of vaccine types being developed and due for approval in the coming weeks/months.

The next challenge will be an internationally agreed vaccination certificate & database

• Like 7

I can’t take live vaccines due to suppressed immune system.  This vaccine is not live.  I’ll get it as soon as I can.  I also get annual flu shot.  I believe everyone should.  I do know all do not feel that way. In my day if you didn’t have your vaccines you couldn’t go to school.   I really don’t understand this vaccine phobia. 

• Like 13

13 hours ago, mrlevin said:

The mRNA vaccines are not “live” ( e.g. Moderna and Pfizer, to date) but some others are ( e.g. Johnson & Johnson and Oxford), at least to the extent that a virus is alive.  The latter examples use a “live” virus ( a rhinovirus, not the novel Corona virus) to deliver a protein payload which stimulates the response to make antibodies (and T-cells) against specific proteins present in the spikes of novel Coronavirus.  Both types are likely to be used in the U.S. and Great Britain as neither country has purchased enough of either to treat their populations.  Additionally, some of the over 100 vaccines under development utilize “live” (but likely attenuated) novel Coronavirus in their processes as this is the more traditional approach.

In my opinion, there probably won’t be any exceptions.  Some of the vaccines likely do not prevent contracting COVID-19 but rather may make it asymptomatic in the vaccinated individual and possibly still contagious to others.  For example, at least one of the vaccine announcements (actually, Press Releases) specifically said the efficacy rate was calculated based on the number of individuals that contracted COVID-19 and exhibited one or more symptoms.  One of the announcements did say something like “appears to reduce the transmission of the virus”.  Until an EUA is issued the public is unlikely to have access to test data or anything resembling peer reviewed details.  I’m a participant in one of the trials and I’m not routinely tested for COVID-19 but in my weekly checkin I am asked if I have any of a variety of symptoms and some of the symptoms will trigger a nasal swab for testing. So it doesn’t appear that they will know if I contract a case of asymptomatic COVID-19 but I could be mistaken.

8 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I really don’t understand this vaccine phobia. 

There are many reasons that some people are cautious or concerned about vaccines.  Some of them have been disproved and others generally are real but far less likely to cause harm than the disease being vaccinated against.  For the new mRNA vaccines some people have worries about introducing a genetically engineered RNA that instructs some of the bodies cells to produce copies of a protein present in the “spikes” of the Coronavirus which in turn cause the body to produce antibodies to that protein. Personally, I’m a vaccine supporter but have a stronger understanding of the risks and benefits of vaccines than most folks

• Thanks 1

This is mostly a 'fun' calculator for those in the US to see where you may be in line for the vaccine.  I don't know that it included the final CDC prioritization recommendations, and the states can alter those a bit.  I'm hoping for sometime in February if things go well for a shot (age/risk factor/retired/noncongregate living)

Opinion | When Can I Get a Coronavirus Vaccine in America? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Gosh I hope so.

People who do not vaccinate against dangerous diseases once proven safe are the epitome of first world entitlement problems.

Safe is always relative, nothing in life is 100%, absolutely safe, including living in your fallout shelter in your basement wearing a tinfoil hat, but short of common relatively minor side effects vaccinations are one of, if not THE highest risk/reward medical interventions going in the history of humanity. Literally.

People in the free world have few norm "duties" to do in their lives, but this must be one of them. If they can't do the simplest thing to keep potentially deadly viruses from not only hurting themselves, but more importantly spreading to those that cannot immunize,  have issues. Either incredibly narcissistic or simply incredibly confused about the efficacy and safety of modern vaccinations.

Edited by slidebite
spelling
  • Like 6

There is a lot of garbage like that floating around. I don’t particularly find it concerning. If the rule is you have to have the vaccine to sail, and there are a bunch of people who don’t want to get vaccinated, that just moves me up the priority list. Of course, there is a bigger picture of public health but as far as cruising is considered I don’t think the anti-Vaxers are an issue. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I know the source is considered a tabloid; however this article is a real concern.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9017455/Letitia-Wright-slammed-posting-video-questioned-efficacy-COVID-19-vaccine.html

I just looked at your link and read the headline that quotes someone questioning if the vaccine will implant 5G antennas inside people

Just wondering if everyone onboard Regent did have 5G antennas implanted might that be used in some way to improve the internet speeds on Regent?  I"m in favor of most anything that would fix Regent's internet problems!!!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 12
  • Haha 7

9 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

I just looked at your link and read the headline that quotes someone questioning if the vaccine will implant 5G antennas inside people

Just wondering if everyone onboard Regent did have 5G antennas implanted might that be used in some way to improve the internet speeds on Regent?  I"m in favor of most anything that would fix Regent's internet problems!!!  :classic_biggrin:

Brilliant!!! Best laugh I've had all day. Thanks!!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mrlevin said:

I know the source is considered a tabloid; however this article is a real concern.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9017455/Letitia-Wright-slammed-posting-video-questioned-efficacy-COVID-19-vaccine.html

There is literally nothing to cause any concern about in that article, other than giving the scientifically illiterate at a level significantly less than grade-schoolers, a soapbox.

No disrespect meant to grade schoolers.

CNN reports that those who get vaccinated will get a card showing that they got it. Since cards will be universal here, I strongly suspect that many businesses will require them for entry, and not just cruise lines and airlines. And I agree that those who have a medical condition precluding them from vaccination should also be able to get a card so stating.

9 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Internet on the ship's is working exactly as desired by Regent. They can increase the bandwidth with a simple contract modification with the ISP...the hardware is in place to support much faster speeds.

What an atrocious fact for Regent customers to learn about.

34 minutes ago, fizzy said:

What an atrocious fact for Regent customers to learn about.

I agree with the first 4 words...we should have the option of paying for faster internet (the current option for "premium" internet does not provide more bandwidth, it just puts your request ahead of all the people who don't pay for it).

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

.... it just puts your request ahead of all the people who don't pay for it).

Doesn't work that way, you don't get to go to the head of the queue. All premium does is unlock blocked streaming video service like Hulu, Netflicks, Prime, etc. Neither the speed nor bandwidth are improved. (And anyone who knows anything about  "proxy" can easily get Regent video IP blocking.)

J