What do you think the odds are that they will require.....

Shippy

1 hour ago, SarahCruise965 said:

Personally, i do not support mandatory vaccination. 

You may not support it, but no vaccine= no cruise. Others will not sail with non vaccinated. So your choice is simple live like a hermit or to rejoin society get vaccinated. SIMPLE..............

• Like 6

I hope they will require the vaccine I would not want to return to cruising under the current situation where every time they get one false positive (Alaska & Singapore) the ship has to return to port and cruises are cancelled.  I also think they should still require masks for at least all of 2021 since the vaccine is still a bit of an unknown in its effectiveness.  I am just hoping for more certainty that when I go on a cruise, I will get to go on the whole cruise to actual destinations.   I think that the ships need to be able to manage an outbreak on board and the vaccine is the best way to make that happen. 

• Like 2

We cruise at least 3 months a year and had 3 cruises canceled due to covid.  We miss our retirement travels and want to get back traveling only when it is safe/healthy to do so.  Vaccinations should be mandatory just like other vaccinations you must take if traveling to other countries. Diphtheria, Hepatitis A, Tetanus and Typhoid, Yellow Fever, just to name a few.  They are demanded before you get on a ship so this new vaccine should be added to the list. We have all required vaccinations done through Passport Health here in the USA & we carry the Health Card in our passports. 

Personally I don't trust others to just say they got vaccinated. 

• Like 6

On 12/5/2020 at 5:37 PM, Dolebludger said:

CNN reports that those who get vaccinated will get a card showing that they got it. Since cards will be universal here, I strongly suspect that many businesses will require them for entry, and not just cruise lines and airlines. And I agree that those who have a medical condition precluding them from vaccination should also be able to get a card so stating.

Business requiring vaccine cards for entry?  Fat chance. They won't even enforce the mask mandates!! If they had we would be well on the way to being rid of this virus by now!! I have filed complaints to several big stores for not enforcing a mandate that they have posted at the entrance. I get managers telling me that " corporate will not allow us to enforce it" So I have written to these "corporates" and they do not even have the courtesy to reply!!! 

I don't think it should be mandatory either, people shouldn't be forced to do something to their body that they do not consent with.

BUT, not having a vaccination shows how either incredibly narcissistic, confused about safety, or shockingly poor critical thinking skills you have.

Measles is making a comeback because of those who wrap themselves under the cloak of "enlightenment" and "choice" when we had it beat.

Why people seem to think they know more about vaccines and medicine in general than those who have spent their entire adult life researching on the subject is nuts.

• Like 7

My two cents - yes, I want a required vaccine to board.  The only thing that concerns me is if you WANT a vaccine but can't get it.  I would hate to forfeit a cruise just because of availability.  I wonder if the cruise lines could administer it?

• Like 4

I think they will make it mandatory; however - some people won’t be able to take the vaccine (the UK already came out and said those with severe allergic reactions shouldn’t take it) so yes for a very small amount of people there will be a waiver. And I’m pretty sure they will have to allow it - I can see that being a massive lawsuit if you are discriminating against a class of people. And let’s be honest - you can still get the virus after taking the vaccine - nothing is 100%

Personally I will take it just so I can travel without hassle. 

Edited by tfran8

16 hours ago, Redwarrior68 said:

My question is not whether to get the vaccine but when.  If the vaccine lasts only 4 months, for example, do I get the shot now to protect me? Or, do I delay until just before our WC in Dec 2021 which happens to be 4 months long?  Will I possibly need 2 series of shots?  Will they be available to me?

Good question, and nobody right now knows the answer.  Let's hope it's at least a year, like the flu shot.  Best case would be permanent, of course, but that's pretty optimistic.

11 hours ago, SarahCruise965 said:

Personally, i do not support mandatory vaccination. 

Mandatory in general, or mandatory onboard a cruise?  I absolutely support the latter (except perhaps with clear exceptions for allergies, e.g.), but no jurisdiction (in the West at least), is going to do the former.

2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

My two cents - yes, I want a required vaccine to board.  The only thing that concerns me is if you WANT a vaccine but can't get it.  I would hate to forfeit a cruise just because of availability.  I wonder if the cruise lines could administer it?

Don't see how the cruise lines could do inoculations, especially if two shots are required.

• Like 1

I would like to see a requirement of proof of vaccinations in order to cruise forever especially if a vaccination is required every year. We've done one cruise a year and sometimes two and miss it dearly but would not go another if there was a chance of getting COVID-19, it would be very foolish to do so.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Don't see how the cruise lines could do inoculations, especially if two shots are required.

Plus it takes time, over a month after the first shot to become mostly safe.  No way could the cruise line administer any of the vaccines.  It would be unfortunate if someone who wanted to cruise could not because of unavailability of the vaccine but, the restriction has to be in place.

And for people who for whatever reason can't or won't have the vaccine, too bad they simply don't go on any cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

And for people who for whatever reason can't or won't have the vaccine, too bad they simply don't go on any cruise.

I'm afraid so.  In our jurisdiction at least, it might also means not being able to go to a movie, or other such social activities.

I'm afraid so.  In our jurisdiction at least, it might also means notbeing able to go to a movie, or other such social activities.

All I can say is GOOD!!!

I do not support mandatory vaccines.  What will be next the cruise lines & our country will be telling us is mandatory?! I will not cruise having to take a ship sponsored tour so they can keep us in a bubble (as they want us to believe is for our own good) they are taking care of us.  I’m 78 yrs old & I can make my own decisions. This is a free country🇺🇸.

• Like 4

The cruise line has the right to require the vaccine....because we don't have to go.

The country does NOT have the right to require the vaccine....but they do have the right to restrict non-vaccinated person's access to public areas.

No one will be shooting any drugs into me without my consent....I will happily live in a hut in the woods for the rest of my life before I let that happen.

Edited by Pcardad
  • Like 3

Bmw2

I Totally agree.....

no mandatory bubbles for me....I choose my own....and that goes for whom I see Daily or on a cruise. 
Would I cruise, If mandatory vaccine and mandatory tours are required?

absolutely NOT.

We have our own free will ( at least where I live ( Denmark ) 

• Like 1

How sad that people won’t take a cruise because of possible mandatory face masks and the vaccine.  You will miss the oceans sitting on your balcony,coming into a beautiful port, etc.  your choice to stay home - be my guest, but you will miss so much.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 6:18 AM, Smiley27 said:

Bmw2

I Totally agree.....

no mandatory bubbles for me....I choose my own....and that goes for whom I see Daily or on a cruise. 
Would I cruise, If mandatory vaccine and mandatory tours are required?

absolutely NOT.

We have our own free will ( at least where I live ( Denmark ) 

While you make your choices, you also chose to suffer the consequences of said choices.

• Like 3

I can’t really see cruise companies or any tourism/hospitality company making the vaccine mandatory. They’ve had the worst year in their history in regards to revenue, there’s very little economic sense in them turning away passengers. As for those who can’t have the vaccine, the people who said they wouldn’t be allowed to cruise are incorrect, the cruise lines wouldn’t be able to discriminate against those people. Finally, all those saying they wouldn’t cruise unless vaccination was mandatory, I bet you would and secondly why do you care? If you’ve had your vaccine then what have you got to worry about? I say this as someone who will be taking the vaccine when it gets to my turn 

• Like 1

Here in the UK, as far as we personally are concerned, we cannot wait to be offered the vaccine.  We know we are in the 4th tranche of priority so probably will be the new year.  And I would be saying to the cruise company on booking that we would not go until and unless we had ourselves had the vaccine, so although European cruising looks to be starting in March (eg Fred Olsen), I m not going to try to book anything until we at least have a vaccine date. 

Many of you may know that here on the south Devon coast we usually have at least 3 cruise ships at anchor while they 'rest'.  Its a combination of happy memories and sadness to look out in the morning and see the cabin on Arcadia where we spent 51 happy nights travelling back from NZ. I will try and post some photos of Lyme Bay (someone local has put up a Facebook page with photos 'cruise ships in Lyme Bay').

• Like 1