What do you think the odds are that they will require.....

Shippy

1 hour ago, sleepingcat said:

Here in the UK, as far as we personally are concerned, we cannot wait to be offered the vaccine.  We know we are in the 4th tranche of priority so probably will be the new year.  And I would be saying to the cruise company on booking that we would not go until and unless we had ourselves had the vaccine, so although European cruising looks to be starting in March (eg Fred Olsen), I m not going to try to book anything until we at least have a vaccine date. 

Many of you may know that here on the south Devon coast we usually have at least 3 cruise ships at anchor while they 'rest'.  Its a combination of happy memories and sadness to look out in the morning and see the cabin on Arcadia where we spent 51 happy nights travelling back from NZ. I will try and post some photos of Lyme Bay (someone local has put up a Facebook page with photos 'cruise ships in Lyme Bay').

Did not know about the " resting ships". I was born in Bristol and my family used to own a caravan in a park near you. Spent many a holiday in Lyme Bay area as a child. Moved to USA when I was 19. married a yank. We have not been able to visit my elderly parents in Weston-Super-Mare all year but we are going to try next month now that Boris has reduced the quarantine to 5 days!

We miss cruising so much. Had two cancelled this year and one next month. We are booked on Princess to Alaska in May but Canada needs to open up or it will also be cancelled!

3 hours ago, Wilkesy93 said:

I can’t really see cruise companies or any tourism/hospitality company making the vaccine mandatory. They’ve had the worst year in their history in regards to revenue, there’s very little economic sense in them turning away passengers. As for those who can’t have the vaccine, the people who said they wouldn’t be allowed to cruise are incorrect, the cruise lines wouldn’t be able to discriminate against those people. Finally, all those saying they wouldn’t cruise unless vaccination was mandatory, I bet you would and secondly why do you care? If you’ve had your vaccine then what have you got to worry about? I say this as someone who will be taking the vaccine when it gets to my turn 

Why not ? anything apart from mandatory vaccines is commercial suicide. Most people will not sail with the non-vaccinated and few ports or Countries will let the ship dock. Its not discrimination to refuse boarding ,the cruise companies have had this right if you show up, are unwell, then boarding is denied, equally no passport no flights or cruise, unless you are the Queen!. Just become the "new normal". Otherwise you can live as a "21st Century leper " or hermit, or rejoin society.

Commercially turning away a few for the many is the only way forward, although the mega ships may not survive this, that's why Regent is in a much better position than many as it does not pack the passengers in, and most are discerning enough to realise the only way to return to the Regent experience is mandatory vaccines for passengers and crew ( do you want to be served by a potential covid-19 spreader? )

• Like 7

Yes Gr JBerkshire is 100% correct in that it is truly financial suicide to allow those who cannot or will not get vaccinated on board. Far far more people will not sail vs people who will not or cannot vaccinate. 

And cruise lines can as private companies can discriminate or they will bankrupt themselves.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Nothing different than the yellow fever vaccine except that it will be required by ALL countries thus all cruse lines.

Agreed, if this thread is a litmus test of public opinion, a large majority won't travel unless everyone is vaccinated. I know it's been a bad year and a tough call for the cruise lines but they do have to sell cabins.

We can all remember those awful media headlines in Jan/Feb "Plague Ship is a Petri Dish" etc,. Picture the reaction of a receiving port, when the captain states that "Most of the passengers have been vaccinated".

However, I'm a firm believer in choice. There are at least 150 cruise ships out there. Why not have one ship exclusively for the 'anti-vaxers' another for the 'smokers' leaving the remaining 148 ships for ourselves?

• Like 2

Completely agree that they are likely to require proof of vaccination. I certainly wouldn’t be happy to go on a ship that doesn’t.

As I noted on another post on this Board, not being vaccinated can and does cause issues. Navigator was unable to call at Samoa or American Samoa in January this year as there was a serious measles outbreak and the majority of passengers had not been vaccinated.

I do think a vaccine should be mandatory for those wishing to cruise in 2021(hopefully).  But, after herd immunity is achieved (through vaccination), then the restriction could be eased.  That way those who can not have the vaccination, for whatever reason would be able to start cruising again.  They may just have to wait a while longer - perhaps 2022/23.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bertie Doe said:

Why not have one ship exclusively for the 'anti-vaxers' another for the 'smokers' leaving the remaining 148 ships for ourselves?

Where would you find a crew willing to work under those conditions???   Hope you were talking tongue in cheek?

• Like 1

We think that it is not fair when cruise companies would ask a vaccination attestation as long as the vaccins are not available for everybody. In Belgium for example for people of our age (below 65) the vaccins would not be available before summer or even autumn. If we can not get a vaccin in time for our next cruise, we can understand and agree that the cruise company asks for a recent Covidfree test result before embarkation.

6 hours ago, Wilkesy93 said:

I can’t really see cruise companies or any tourism/hospitality company making the vaccine mandatory. They’ve had the worst year in their history in regards to revenue, there’s very little economic sense in them turning away passengers.

Respectfully, I disagree. That's precisely why the should and likely will. The tourism industries are completely decimated because of Covid outbreaks. Requiring vaccinations is the simplest and most effective way to mitigate that risk as best they can with minimal negative impacts.

I feel for the people that genuinely cannot get vaccinated for legitimate reasons, but have zero sympathy for those that don't because ~reasons~

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Better safe than sorry----however people that truly can't take it will most likely get an exemption card.   

Sincerely hope that as long as vaccines are required exemptions will not be accepted and people who cannot or will not take the vaccine are not allowed to participate where vaccinations are required.  Even people who have been vaccinated will need to continue practicing distancing and wearing masks as right now the best vaccine eficie is about 90% so still a risk of catching the COVID even with the vaccine and not taking the vaccine will affect those who have until the disease is eradicated. or we reach heard immunity which I am afraid will be difficult based on the percentage of people the scientists say have to be vaccinated which is higher that the percentage of people currently say they will be vaccinated.

18 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Sincerely hope that as long as vaccines are required exemptions will not be accepted and people who cannot or will not take the vaccine are not allowed to participate where vaccinations are required.  Even people who have been vaccinated will need to continue practicing distancing and wearing masks as right now the best vaccine eficie is about 90% so still a risk of catching the COVID even with the vaccine and not taking the vaccine will affect those who have until the disease is eradicated. or we reach heard immunity which I am afraid will be difficult based on the percentage of people the scientists say have to be vaccinated which is higher that the percentage of people currently say they will be vaccinated.

I'll take the vaccine if it means in can cruise again.  But once vaccinated with the double-jab I WILL NOT wear a mask.  What's ths point?  "They" say we gave to wear a mask now to protect others.  If I'm vaccinated, then what's the point? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

If I'm vaccinated, then what's the point? 

If we had a vaccine that was 100% effective, there would not be a point BUT, the vaccine is not yet 100% effective so we will still need to protect others as long as the disease is active.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rallydave said:

If we had a vaccine that was 100% effective, there would not be a point BUT, the vaccine is not yet 100% effective so we will still need to protect others as long as the disease is active.

"They" also say you should wear a mask if you can't maintain so-called social distancing.  So if you stay 6' away from the next person....you should not need a mask according to "them."

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

"They" also say you should wear a mask if you can't maintain so-called social distancing.  So if you stay 6' away from the next person....you should not need a mask according to "them."

Believe "they" say you need both social distancing and mask wearing.  plus impossible to fully social distance on a cruise ship.

We still don't know if the vaccine prevents you from becoming an asymptomatic spreader.  For at least some of the trials, they only monitored symptoms.  This would not provide any data about what effect the vaccine had on the rate of asymptomatic infections.

17 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

I'll take the vaccine if it means in can cruise again.  But once vaccinated with the double-jab I WILL NOT wear a mask.  What's ths point?  "They" say we gave to wear a mask now to protect others.  If I'm vaccinated, then what's the point? 

At the moment here in Canada, with the Pfizer vaccine just being administered for the first time today, they are saying that the vaccinated will have to continue to practice physical distancing and mask-wearing in public until they really know whether the virus can still be spread by those people.  Perhaps three months from now we'll know more.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

At the moment here in Canada, with the Pfizer vaccine just being administered for the first time today, they are saying that the vaccinated will have to continue to practice physical distancing and mask-wearing in public until they really know whether the virus can still be spread by those people.  Perhaps three months from now we'll know more.

So your government doesn't care about the six months of data that already exists.