Oasis - August sailing - crowds post covid🙏

Given that no one (including the cruise lines) knows anything about what will happen with capacity or when it will be returned to normal, the current CDC stance in its Conditional Sail Order extends through November 2021. Anything changing prior to that is pure conjecture.

• Like 1

The CDC will be slow and methodical.  They will want to see evidence of a continuing downward trend for months to ensure it is a bonafide trend before relaxing restrictions.  They won't have that in August of 2021.  Some people will just be getting a vaccine in August.  Some anti vaxxers will refuse to get one so the virus won't be "defeated" in August.

I am proceeding on the basis that through their current November 1, 2021 date the restrictions of the Conditional Sail Order will be in place with COVID protocols enforced.  Hopefully by November they will have proof of the downward trend across society and then they'll let the CSO expire.  

However I expect cruise lines to be slow letting go of the rule that you must take a ship excursion.  That's a profit center for them so that rule will be slow to go away.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I expect cruise lines to be slow letting go of the rule that you must take a ship excursion.  

This is one of the reasons I'm not rushing to book any cruises.  With that said, I'm not a fan of the Oasis class ships because of their limited interaries especially if it's sailing from Cape Liberty but I might be inclined to try them if this excursion rule lasts any length of time. I would just stay on the ship and get off on the private island.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is one of the reasons I'm not rushing to book any cruises.  With that said, I'm not a fan of the Oasis class ships because of their limited interaries especially if it's sailing from Cape Liberty but I might be inclined to try them if this excursion rule lasts any length of time. I would just stay on the ship and get off on the private island.

Depending on the itinerary, I agree. I'm not going to Coz or Costa Maya if I'm limited to ship excursions. Our August sailing has Nassau, CoCo Cay and Labadee, so that's fine. Have a September out of Cape Liberty on Oasis -- more for the Crown Loft than the ports. 

I would not do Alaska or Europe either with that restriction. 

mac_tlc

4 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Depending on the itinerary, I agree. I'm not going to Coz or Costa Maya if I'm limited to ship excursions. Our August sailing has Nassau, CoCo Cay and Labadee, so that's fine. Have a September out of Cape Liberty on Oasis -- more for the Crown Loft than the ports. 

I would not do Alaska or Europe either with that restriction. 

mac_tlc

That Itinerary would work for me but probably would stay on the ship in Nassau. No way I would book anything on my bucket list until this mess is long behind us.

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

That Itinerary would work for me but probably would stay on the ship in Nassau. No way I would book anything on my bucket list until this mess is long behind us.

That's what I'm steering towards although a Columbia or Mississippi river cruise looks pretty attractive and it supports the American economy to a greater extent.  Then into 2023 and beyond I can go back to looking at Europe and bucket list destinations.  

Small ship cruising might be a nice break from mass market.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's what I'm steering towards although a Columbia or Mississippi river cruise looks pretty attractive and it supports the American economy to a greater extent.  Then into 2023 and beyond I can go back to looking at Europe and bucket list destinations.  

Small ship cruising might be a nice break from mass market.

This situation has me rethinking vacations as well. The biggest issue is having to quarantine 2 weeks if I leave the state.

47 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Thats what we plan on doing anyway.  Port Canaveral & Nassau we would just stay on board. However, the private island looks like a unique experience.  We have been to Atlantis a few times over the years and Florida many times. 

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I'm hopeful that by mid-2022 we will be back to something more normal. I could not resist the Jewel of the Seas 6/20/22 Artic Circle cruise, so I did book that today, and got JS cabin 1100. Small investment for once in a lifetime cruise in a great cabin. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I'm hopeful that by mid-2022 we will be back to something more normal. I could not resist the Jewel of the Seas 6/20/22 Artic Circle cruise, so I did book that today, and got JS cabin 1100. Small investment for once in a lifetime cruise in a great cabin. 

mac_tlc

The refundable uplift on that sailing is absurd.  Over $1,500 more for a balcony and over $900 more for an interior.  Royal lost me on that.  

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

The refundable uplift on that sailing is absurd.  Over $1,500 more for a balcony and over $900 more for an interior.  Royal lost me on that.  

Check if your TA has group space.  $300pp cheaper for a refundable deposit. (balcony)

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

My November 2021 L&S on Oasis went from an Eastern to Western itinerary.  If I had to spend a week on the ship and not get off, I could live with that, but hope by then Cocoa Cay and Costa Maya could be done without any restrictions.  Not losing any sleep over it - a lot can change in a year.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

For a $100pp risk, I have no problem with the NRD, especially with that crazy differential. 

mac_tlc

23 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

For a $100pp risk, I have no problem with the NRD, especially with that crazy differential. 

mac_tlc

I've had so many issues with FCC I consider the entire $450 deposit at risk.  As I write this my agent is battling to get FCC reissued after they chartered my 2022 cruise.  I've told myself no more Royal cruises until it's 100% normal so I'll defer Iceland to another line or 2023/2024.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

What if any details have been shared by the CDC along with the cruise lines as to passenger capacity?  Assuming (and praying) that these various vaccines work. and our first cruise goes out to sea as scheduled.

None shared. To far in advance to even have a clue.