Regent Letdown

Robyn2

2 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I think any insurance company will be happy to take your money to purchase a policy in whatever amount you want.  When/if you make a claim, that is when the documentation will be required.  Then they will only pay out for the covered expenses that they consider valid.

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

Think they will know when they ask for a copy of your invoice and it is FCC's not dollars paid.

Very interesting perspectives.  I fear you both could be correct.   Again, I hope not to have to prove any of 'us' correct.   Keep Smiling!

15 minutes ago, daetchief said:

Very interesting perspectives.  I fear you both could be correct.   Again, I hope not to have to prove any of 'us' correct.   Keep Smiling!

If you have the previous-cruise invoice that was cancelled and shows the amount you actually paid (that was then turned into FCCs with the 25% bonus and then transferred to your replacement cruise) the insurance company will use the original amount your paid on the original cruise plus wahtever additional $$ you had to pay toward the replacement cruise.  You will need that "original cruise" paid-in-full invoice for proof of your actual out-of-pocket cost  plus the "replacement cruise" paid-in-full invoice when making your claim.  Hope this makes sense.

Edited by Kwaj girl

All the explanations are logical and appreciated.   The Regent 25% or 50% bonus I guess is 'Coupon Value' which if you read the fine print on the back of some coupons it usually says "Cash Value: 1/10 of $0.01" which is more than the insurance company considers it...   

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

If you have the previous-cruise invoice that was cancelled and shows the amount you actually paid (that was then turned into FCCs with the 25% bonus and then transferred to your replacement cruise) the insurance company will use the original amount your paid on the original cruise plus wahtever additional $$ you had to pay toward the replacement cruise.  You will need that "original cruise" paid-in-full invoice for proof of your actual out-of-pocket cost  plus the "replacement cruise" paid-in-full invoice when making your claim.  Hope this makes sense.

The problem with using the original invoice is that the dates will not match the dates you are claiming. Better to make sure before buying your insurance that you have ut in writing exactly what will and won’t be covered and the documentation you will need to produce. 

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

The problem with using the original invoice is that the dates will not match the dates you are claiming. Better to make sure before buying your insurance that you have ut in writing exactly what will and won’t be covered and the documentation you will need to produce. 

You will use the "original" cruise invoice to back up the trip you are claiming.  The trip you are claiming will have the correct dates and will show the FCC as part of the cost.  The original  cruise will show the $$ you actually paid as part of the "claimed" cruise cost.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:47 PM, Robyn2 said:

Naturally very disappointed today to hear our March cruise on Voyager has been cancelled.

But also disillusioned to hear that Regent are not offering any compensation whatsoever for this cancellation.

Regent changed out final payment date from October to January and as a result we have not made our final payment.

Had they not extended the final payment date, we would have paid in full and qualified for the 25% future cruise credit. Now we have just been offered a refund of our deposit!

As regular Regent cruisers at Gold Level, we feel let down.

I don't have a crystal ball but, who knows, in the end you may find yourself very fortunate not to have your cash tied up with Regent. 

10 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

You will use the "original" cruise invoice to back up the trip you are claiming.  The trip you are claiming will have the correct dates and will show the FCC as part of the cost.  The original  cruise will show the $$ you actually paid as part of the "claimed" cruise cost.

When I had a trip insurance claim a few years back, they wanted not only the original cruise invoice but a copy of the credit card statements that confirmed the paid amounts.  They even wanted a copy of the statement where I paid for the insurance policy to prove I paid for the coverage.

When I recently changed cruise dates, itinerary and ships, all I had to do was call my insurance agent to change the policy information dates etc to match the new cruise.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

On 12/23/2020 at 11:27 AM, johng75370 said:

My suspicion is that the TA got it wrong, which does not give me confidence that I’ll have any outcome other than FCC.  She has already said Regent is not going to be flexible.  Worse outcomes than FCC I guess, but not what we would have chosen if we knew the real choices. 

Have you thought about asking your TA if they have E&O (Errors & Omissions) insurance?  That will alert them you're not going to take this sitting down so they may sweeten the pot to keep from getting a claim against them or that you're willing to pursue this. I wouldn't do it in a threatening manor yet but as a curiosity sort of way.  Just a thought.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

28 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

When I had a trip insurance claim a few years back, they wanted not only the original cruise invoice but a copy of the credit card statements that confirmed the paid amounts.  They even wanted a copy of the statement where I paid for the insurance policy to prove I paid for the coverage.

When I recently changed cruise dates, itinerary and ships, all I had to do was call my insurance agent to change the policy information dates etc to match the new cruise.

But what about your cost differences between the cruises?  While possible the amounts being insured are identical that is highly unlikely snd since premiums are based mostly on amount being insured how is the amount being insured and the premiums being reconciled?

Lots of moving parts in moving cancellation insurance to a different cruise. If simply medical/evacuation insurance a walk in the park in comparison. 

10 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Have you thought about asking your TA if they have E&O (Errors & Omissions) insurance?  That will alert them you're not going to take this sitting down so they may sweeten the pot to keep from getting a claim against them or that you're willing to pursue this. I wouldn't do it in a threatening manor yet but as a curiosity sort of way.  Just a thought.

Good thought Steve. Possible issue might be that FCCs might be considered a type of refund and negate coverage under E&O insurance 

10 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

I don't have a crystal ball but, who knows, in the end you may find yourself very fortunate not to have your cash tied up with Regent. 

Agree the longer this goes on the more likely the companies including Regent will not survive.....I have £40k tied up in FCC, but from the UK the situation is getting worse , there is little light at the end of the tunnel and most 2021 cruises may not sail. Then after so long out of operation crewing the ships plus ongoing maintenance may be the final straw especially for the 3 older ships Navigator, Voyager and Mariner, a year plus out of action is a long while on a ship, think about all the ongoing maintenance when you have sailed they are always painting, repairing , cleaning etc etc.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Agree the longer this goes on the more likely the companies including Regent will not survive.....I have £40k tied up in FCC, but from the UK the situation is getting worse , there is little light at the end of the tunnel and most 2021 cruises may not sail.

I agree that many of us have become accidental investors, or unintentional investors and all we can do is hope that these companies survive. 

We only have a small amount tied up currently but I cannot bring myself round to booking any cruise for 2021 until the light at the end of the tunnel is much brighter. Let’s all hope that this is sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We have five future cruises booked. I feel confident that the first, sailing in December 2021, will be fine. We should be starting our vaccines here in Florida within the next 6 weeks. 
it should be clear sailing after that!

sheila

Sheila - I appreciate your optimism and like you, our next Regent cruise will also be Dec '21 (fingers crossed).  Stay well!  We live in Arizona and I'm fairly confident (although I have no inside knowledge - but simply a "guess/hope") that vaccines will become available for us within the next 6 weeks, as well. We are also "seasoned citizens".  Best Regards. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

somewhat off topic, but having run a business before I retired, I can say that whenever someone asks about corporate insurance coverage, it is threatening. 

I ran businesses as well. I understand it is threatening in substance however I was referring more to communication technique that wouldn't be such a combative in your face aggressiveness.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 9:14 AM, Pcardad said:

Nope...your agent is a separate entity from Regent. They are not employees of Regent and Regent is not liable for what your TA tells you.

After 6 weeks, and my travel agent saying she “aggressively pursued” escalating this within Regent, the final decision from Regent is they will not honor what I was told by the travel agent about being able to get a refund.  Her claim is Regent never told her that doing a lift-and-shift would convert my payment into FCC, so she believed she was giving me the right information.  I’m left frustrated and without any good options, not being the sort to want to go the legal route (though may still consider it).  Not exactly the “new to Regent” experience I was hoping for, and one that will make it a long time before I consider Regent for future cruises (being forced to take-it-or-leave-it leaves such a bad feeling).  We’re giving one of our kids a honeymoon cruise, and while it was going to be Regent it most definitely will not now.  I wish I had remained loyal to Seabourn, where we have future bookings I’m genuinely looking forward to, unlike this ill-fated booking.

Regent apparently accepts some responsibility, but won’t budge:

Regent acknowledges that there was a breakdown in communication, but feels that does not warrant a reversal or exception to standard policies. Misunderstandings can occur during the course of business, especially in todays environment with new and ever-changing protocols due to COVID. They have apologized for any miscommunication in regards to the issuance of the Future Cruise Credits.

Any additional advice is welcome, but wanted to thank those who gave me good insights already on this.  

A few thoughts....

1. Your TA is responsible. They make the money, they get the risk.

2. Did Regent send that email to you DIRECTLY or did it come from your TA? I would ask for a copy of the exact email.

3. Don't blame Regent. You are losing more by dumping them then you would by dumping your TA.

20 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

1. Your TA is responsible. They make the money, they get the risk.

2. Did Regent send that email to you DIRECTLY or did it come from your TA? I would ask for a copy of the exact email.

3. Don't blame Regent. You are losing more by dumping them then you would by dumping your TA.

I’m asking her to have Regent directly send me their supposed apology, since unless they provide one directly to me it is meaningless.  

And it looks like I will have at least one Regent cruise, now that it is forced upon us.  However, I don’t find Regent blameless here, as they share some responsibility for communicating correct information and to ultimately try to make my experience be as good as possible within their control. 

This email chain all of a sudden has me concerned.  I have booked and paid for 2021 Grand Arctic.  I have accepted that it will be cancelled and expect Regent to offer me 2022 Grand Arctic for amount that I paid for 2021.  HOWEVER, I "was" expecting that since this is (predominantly) a cash purchase that the 2022 would be treated as (predominantly) a cash purchase so I can cancel and get my money back.  If this is not the case no reason to use the "shift" to 2022, I might as well take 25% (if offered) and end up with 160K in FCC and have to live with those restrictions.  

This is getting hard.