cancelled cruises

cabosal1

I contacted SD today to try and recoup my prior down payment.  We had signed up onboard last year for a January 2021 sailing with the usual 15% savings.  What with Covid, etc. we later cancelled but held our down payment in abeyance.  When discussing our options with SD I decided to go for the Future Travel Voucher and later booked a December 2020 cruise.  Further pandemic fears caused us to cancel that one also.  Now that all Caribbean cruise are cancelled for this season I called SD thinking to recoup my original downpayment and was told that since I had chosen the Future Travel Voucher previously that was what I was stuck with. Even though ALL CRUISES WERE CANCELLED BY SD I cannot get back any money and must wait another year (we only do the Caribbean) and then can use this voucher, if I am so inclined.  All I wanted was my original down payment back, but I am now left with nothing until next year when perhaps of SD is still in business  I can use this voucher.  Usual great SeaDream customer service! (This would have been our 14th SD cruise).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cabosal1 said:

I contacted SD today to try and recoup my prior down payment.  We had signed up onboard last year for a January 2021 sailing with the usual 15% savings.  What with Covid, etc. we later cancelled but held our down payment in abeyance.  When discussing our options with SD I decided to go for the Future Travel Voucher and later booked a December 2020 cruise.  Further pandemic fears caused us to cancel that one also.  Now that all Caribbean cruise are cancelled for this season I called SD thinking to recoup my original downpayment and was told that since I had chosen the Future Travel Voucher previously that was what I was stuck with. Even though ALL CRUISES WERE CANCELLED BY SD I cannot get back any money and must wait another year (we only do the Caribbean) and then can use this voucher, if I am so inclined.  All I wanted was my original down payment back, but I am now left with nothing until next year when perhaps of SD is still in business  I can use this voucher.  Usual great SeaDream customer service! (This would have been our 14th SD cruise).

Very sorry to hear about this turn of events.  Difficult circumstances all around.

Quick question, though - I seem to recall that the future travel vouchers were for more than 100 cents on the dollar.  Meaning SD was giving people a bonus of what around 20-25 percent (more? less?) to accept the future travel voucher in lieu of a cash refund.  

That’s how I remember it in the early days of Covid when many of us were in contact with SD on our options as to future voyages.  If that was the case, one could argue those who accepted the future travel vouchers with the bonus credits were compensated, at least to some degree, for the risks involved.  

Thus, arguably, going back to ask for cash now would be a “head’s I win, tails SD loses” situation, no?  In other words, had your cruise gone forward this season you were given some multiple of your original cash deposit in the form of the future travel voucher, thus saving money on the actual total cash outlay for the voyage.  

Feel free to correct these assumptions and assertions.