Which food on which ship do you remember most??

CGTNORMANDIE

Thinking back, it is strange what you remember, and it is not always the most extravagant food. I would have to look back at my reviews to see exactly what I had eaten specifically, but most had obviously not stood out. There are only a few specific foods/dishes that come to mind:

Carnival -  Indian food at Tandor in the buffet.

NCL - Thai Chili wings (at O'Sheehans) [although my DW would say the crème brulee)

RCI - Although I cannot pinpoint an exact dish per se, I will say that I had always enjoyed the lobster nights.  No, the lobster was not the best I had ever had (not even close), but there was always something special/electric about that night.

General - When my DDs would come back from the teen club (or I would get them), it usually meant a walk to whatever 24-hour food venue was open to grab a midnight/middle of the night snack. Not usually the best food at 1 am, but very memorable.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Travel R said:

Thinking back, it is strange what you remember, and it is not always the most extravagant food. I would have to look back at my reviews to see exactly what I had eaten specifically, but most had obviously not stood out. There are only a few specific foods/dishes that come to mind:

Carnival -  Indian food at Tandor in the buffet.

NCL - Thai Chili wings (at O'Sheehans) [although my DW would say the crème brulee)

RCI - Although I cannot pinpoint an exact dish per se, I will say that I had always enjoyed the lobster nights.  No, the lobster was not the best I had ever had (not even close), but there was always something special/electric about that night.

General - When my DDs would come back from the teen club (or I would get them), it usually meant a walk to whatever 24-hour food venue was open to grab a midnight/middle of the night snack. Not usually the best food at 1 am, but very memorable.

We on Cunard have a certain basic dining options that we are accustomed to.

We don't have daring choices but maybe a slight introduction to certain cuisines in the buffet called Kings Courts.

Unfortunately we are attracted to this style of dining. We can find Fish & Chips in the Pub, minor snack in the Carinthia Lounge and various stations of mixed cuisine in the Kings Court. Like Pizza, fast food, salads, Italian etc.... With regular selections in the Main Dining Room.  

• 1 month later...

Hands down poisson cru (ia ota in Tahitian) on Aranui. I adore poisson cru, it is my favourite things to eat in the Pacific and Aranui's version was one of my favourites as it was so well balanced with lime and coconut plus they used native island greens from the Marquesas that gave it an extra kick. 

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Hands down poisson cru (ia ota in Tahitian) on Aranui. I adore poisson cru, it is my favourite things to eat in the Pacific and Aranui's version was one of my favourites as it was so well balanced with lime and coconut plus they used native island greens from the Marquesas that gave it an extra kick. 

Thank you Ilike.  Can you give us a more in depth explanation of what poison cru.  It literally translates to poured fish?  

56 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

?     ?     ?     ?

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you Ilike.  Can you give us a more in depth explanation of what poison cru.  It literally translates to poured fish?  

Poisson cru is similar to ceviche but with the addition of fresh coconut milk. It has the tang of ceviche with the richness from the coconut milk. It's a very unique dish and one of my favourite when I was in Bora Bora several years ago.

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Poured fish? I am assuming you are referring the French name? I was told it was raw fish🤔. The Tahitian name ia translates to fish while ota refers to the preparation which is raw😂. As the previous poster said it is similar to ceviche but with coconut milk. Historically they say ceviche was inspired by this Pacific islands dish when the Spanish brought citrus to Peru. Any concoction with coconut milk, lime juice and a protein is considered an ota. Most commonly they use tuna especially in French Polynesia but I have had it with king fish, snapper and a unique one in Raiatea with octopus. The addition of vegetables depends on the region French Polynesia they like to use onion, cucumbers sometimes tomatoes and up in the Marquesas greens like fafa. You'll find variations of this dish all over the Pacific. One of my other favourites is in the Cook Islands at least in Rarotonga their version ika mata they cut the vegetables out and make like a cold coconut lime soup in which they put chunks of traditionally flying fish. Because of the extra coconut it is a lot richer than the Tahitian but just as yummy. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you Snoop and Ilike.  I’ll have to pass on that one.  Raw fish goes right through me…lol.  

Technically it is not raw😜. The acid denatures the protein just as heat does so really it is "cooked" meat😂

14 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Raw fish goes right through me…lol.  

🤣      Knowing what it is, it would not enter my digestive tract.  It took some "bravery" on my part to try octopus and squid.  (As a Zoology major, I know too much about these creatures.)  Baby octopus:  OK.  I found that I like it.  Squid?  It depends on how it is prepared, I guess.  My introduction to this item, I thought I was chewing tasteless rubber bands.  Other preparations?  More palatable, but it is a seafood that I would never prefer ordering. 

35 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

🤣      Knowing what it is, it would not enter my digestive tract.  It took some "bravery" on my part to try octopus and squid.  (As a Zoology major, I know too much about these creatures.)  Baby octopus:  OK.  I found that I like it.  Squid?  It depends on how it is prepared, I guess.  My introduction to this item, I thought I was chewing tasteless rubber bands.  Other preparations?  More palatable, but it is a seafood that I would never prefer ordering. 

Out of curiosity, how was the squid prepared? In Australia, salt and pepper squid is a really popular yum cha (I think you call them dim sum in the US) dish. It's basically tenderised squid, dipped in batter, deep fried and then sprinkled with salt and pepper. I used to like baby octopus prepared Greek style or BBQ, but I've stopped eating them ever since I found out how intelligent they are.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Pretty much any cephalopod that is overcooked will be like rubber bullets😂 though cuttlefish fish can be a little more forgiving but not by much. When it is cooked right it should just melt in you mouth. Tenderising or marinating it first can help especially if you're a beginner in these proteins. I'm a big fan of octopus, squid and cuttlefish, it some of my favourite proteins and when it is done right it is a real treat😋

54 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

Out of curiosity, how was the squid prepared? In Australia, salt and pepper squid is a really popular yum cha (I think you call them dim sum in the US) dish. It's basically tenderised squid, dipped in batter, deep fried and then sprinkled with salt and pepper. 

Was up in Townsville before the borders closed had the most tender melt in your mouth salt and pepper squid at the Rock Paper fish and chip shop, it was also not oily and had a good coating of pepper🤗. So yummy. 

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

octopus

I recently read this and will no long eat octopus. Sigh.

Is an octopus more intelligent than a dog?

Image result for how intelligent are octopus

Cephalopods, including octopuses, are the smartest invertebrates on the planet. They can use tools, carry coconut shells for shelter, stack rocks to protect their dens, and carry jellyfish tentacles for defense. And they are as smart as your average dog. ...

29 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Was up in Townsville before the borders closed had the most tender melt in your mouth salt and pepper squid at the Rock Paper fish and chip shop, it was also not oily and had a good coating of pepper🤗. So yummy. 

That sounds amazing. So hard to find a decent fish and chip shop these days, let alone one that does good S&P squid.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, clo said:

Cephalopods, including octopuses, are the smartest invertebrates on the planet. They can use tools, carry coconut shells for shelter, stack rocks to protect their dens, and carry jellyfish tentacles for defense. And they are as smart as your average dog. ...

Well a female octopus will eat their male partner after mating so I guess it takes some intelligence to realise how tasty your own species is😂🐙

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, clo said:

I am very conflicted when it comes to eating octopus.  I love a nice charred octopus salad.  On the other hand I have known for some time that they are intelligent beyond expectation.  They actually have personalities and can be aggressive or comical.  

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I am very conflicted when it comes to eating octopus.  I love a nice charred octopus salad.  On the other hand I have known for some time that they are intelligent beyond expectation.  They actually have personalities and can be aggressive or comical.  

I only just learned this very recently and I just can't eat them any more. Not judging anyone but do want to share the info when I can.

58 minutes ago, clo said:

I only just learned this very recently and I just can't eat them any more. Not judging anyone but do want to share the info when I can.

Since you are interested in animal intelligence you might find this op ed food for thought😉. If nothing else it shows how complex this issue is:

Why do we care how smart animals are?

40 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Since you are interested in animal intelligence you might find this op ed food for thought😉. If nothing else it shows how complex this issue is:

Why do we care how smart animals are?

Thanks for this. I'll have to read it later. Still in the process of unpacking the move to our new place. But I really appreciate it. I'm an info junkie. I'm a bit on the fence about cows because of the amount of water it takes to raise the hay and also the fact that generally they only have one calf where pigs have a 'bunch.'

7 hours ago, clo said:

I didn't realize that chicken and pigs were that intelligent.

Chickens exhibit Machiavellian tendencies, new research shows

Pigs can play video games, scientists discover

And if you're on the fence about cows this might help :

Are cows actually super-intelligent?

At this rate of research you might have to consider being vegetarian😂

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Chickens exhibit Machiavellian tendencies, new research shows

Pigs can play video games, scientists discover

And if you're on the fence about cows this might help :

Are cows actually super-intelligent?

At this rate of research you might have to consider being vegetarian😂

It's been an hellacious day and I've read none of these but I will. I know I won't become a vegetarian although I certainly should.

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I personally have always believed it more ethical to eat wild animals than captive animals. If you believe in the intelligence hierarchy pigs and octopus are on par but a pig will spend its life in a small enclosed area or even with free range a controlled farm environment. While an octopus will live a life free in its natural environment. To me that has always seemed better. 

Edited by ilikeanswers