Which food on which ship do you remember most??

CGTNORMANDIE

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I personally have always believed it more ethical to eat wild animals than captive animals. If you believe in the intelligence hierarchy pigs and octopus are on par but a pig will spend its life in a small enclosed area or even with free range a controlled farm environment. While an octopus will live a life free in its natural environment. To me that has always seemed better. 

I have trouble working up empathy for a prepackaged chicken or a bone in pork loin ready to be roasted.  DW refused to cut up a chicken but that is about as far as it goes…lol.  Sunday dinner is often comprised of the above.  We dine guilt free.  

45 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I have trouble working up empathy for a prepackaged chicken or a bone in pork loin ready to be roasted.  DW refused to cut up a chicken but that is about as far as it goes…lol.  Sunday dinner is often comprised of the above.  We dine guilt free.  

Then you shouldn't be conflicted by octopus. Eat and be happy 😁

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Then you shouldn't be conflicted by octopus. Eat and be happy 😁

Ahhhh…”Be Happy”…good advice…as long as it’s prepackaged! 😂 The problem is…I still have this vision in my head of the old woman on the rocks by the sea.  In Greece the tradition is to take the octopus and slam it against the rocks in order to tenderize the meat…poor octopus…. Then they cut it up and marinate it and char grill it…simply delicious.  Now you can see how I’m conflicted. 😩

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Ahhhh…”Be Happy”…good advice…as long as it’s prepackaged! 😂 The problem is…I still have this vision in my head of the old woman on the rocks by the sea.  In Greece the tradition is to take the octopus and slam it against the rocks in order to tenderize the meat…poor octopus…. Then they cut it up and marinate it and char grill it…simply delicious.  Now you can see how I’m conflicted. 😩

Ah well that is where our experiences differ. I would be watching that Greek woman thinking amazing fresh seafood😉. I buy whole animals and break them down all the time so I am not as desensitised to the source of my proteins😜

On 8/17/2021 at 7:35 PM, ilikeanswers said:

I personally have always believed it more ethical to eat wild animals than captive animals. If you believe in the intelligence hierarchy pigs and octopus are on par but a pig will spend its life in a small enclosed area or even with free range a controlled farm environment. While an octopus will live a life free in its natural environment. To me that has always seemed better. 

Still haven't read your earlier things but what you just wrote here is really interesting to me. And regarding pigs, I once read that how much one interacts with them makes a huge difference.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

As a former Zoology major, I am learning things that I did not learn in the classroom.  😁 

Is it too late, I wonder, to apply for some graduate credit for an "outside reading course"?  🤣

I guess it goes to show how much we really don't know about animals that there is always a new discovery being made😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why?  What was so special about this Gravlax that prompted you to put your opinion in this specific thread?  Just curious.  

Well I would say the gravlax are specific to this thread…a food well remembered and a specific ship. 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:18 AM, roomba920 said:

The Salmon Gravlax on the Ruby Princess in Alaska.

I wonder if they were making the gravalax onboard from locally caught salmon??  

• Thanks 1

On 9/16/2021 at 7:42 PM, rkacruiser said:

Why?  What was so special about this Gravlax that prompted you to put your opinion in this specific thread?  Just curious.  

Smoked, Smoked Scottish Salmon and Gravlax were true memories of the QE2 in the Princess Grill on the Trolley tableside.

• Thanks 1

Transatlantic on the Norwegian Star Florida - Denmark.. They had

one of the best steak houses I had ever experienced. So good and

I had the restaurant package so I must have ate dinner there

6 nights out of the whole cruise. 

Queen Mary 2 has the best dessert memories for me. Ahh Baked Alaska

Edited by ShipFan13

On the Caribbean Princess in 2019, I was quarantined to my cabin for an upper respiratory infection. I discovered the key lime pie in a jar on the room service menu. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, when I ordered it last month on the Majestic Princess, what I received was not as good. It was more like canned lemon pie filling in a jar. Not good at all. 

4 hours ago, endymion6942 said:

The lamb chops and the cream on mushroom soup served LeBisro on the NCL Pearl.

Always enjoy Cream of Mushroom either lunch or dinner. QM2 serves an elegant CofM Soup with a dab of Sherry and Chives in the Soup.

• Like 1

I would consider the caviar on Seabourn among my more memorable cruise line foods.  They use a domestic (west coast) farmed caviar that is of excellent quality and it is served as the center piece surrounded with various items such as hard boiled egg, red onions, etc.  On Seabourn this is free and you can get it via room service or at any of the bars.   Consider that on most mass market lines you would pay $60 - $100 for caviar and it would not normally be served with all the various fixens.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would consider the caviar on Seabourn among my more memorable cruise line foods.  They use a domestic (west coast) farmed caviar that is of excellent quality and it is served as the center piece surrounded with various items such as hard boiled egg, red onions, etc.  On Seabourn this is free and you can get it via room service or at any of the bars.   Consider that on most mass market lines you would pay $60 - $100 for caviar and it would not normally be served with all the various fixens.

Hank

Do you remember the particular caviar? For a couple of years now we've been getting Idaho white sturgeon from Seattle Caviar.

26 minutes ago, clo said:

Do you remember the particular caviar? For a couple of years now we've been getting Idaho white sturgeon from Seattle Caviar.

I do not know for sure.  But it is a black caviar and delicious.  About three years ago it was posted (on CC) that they got their caviar through their Thomas Keller connection.   The latest info (from other posters) is that they get their caviar from Sterling Caviar (located in California) but other then seeing this posted on CC I have nothing to verify this is the case.  When I look at the Sterling web site it seems that if that is what they are using it would be similar to their Classic which goes for around $90 an ounce except that particular caviar does have some white showing online.  But what I get on the ship is black (or very dark brown) so it makes me wonder if Sterling is truly the source.

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do not know for sure.  But it is a black caviar and delicious.  About three years ago it was posted (on CC) that they got their caviar through their Thomas Keller connection.   The latest info (from other posters) is that they get their caviar from Sterling Caviar (located in California) but other then seeing this posted on CC I have nothing to verify this is the case.

Hank

"Black" isn't necessary the best but glad you enjoyed it.

56 minutes ago, clo said:

The caviar that H is talking about is most likely IMPERIA which is a company out of LA that I subscribe to. They have an excellent selection and some of their product compares very favorably with the Russian Beluga and the Iranian Sevruga.  My biggest problem is finding friends to share it with.  When you get a tin you need to finish it off quickly.  

1 hour ago, clo said:

Oceania's Jacques restaurant's escargots. The best I've ever had or made.

escargots.jpg

Your escargot looks delicious.  The secret of escargot is they need to be fresh or fresh frozen.  So many places try to pull them out of a can…ughhh.  The best escargot come from a vineyard.  They acquire the flavor of grapes just before the harvest.  

Just now, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Your escargot looks delicious.  The secret of escargot is they need to be fresh or fresh frozen.  So many places try to pull them out of a can…ughhh.  The best escargot come from a vineyard.  They acquire the flavor of grapes just before the harvest.  

Those were actually Oceania's. But I make them with canned and they're great.