Which ship did I cruse on in 1965 ?

lissie

I realized I've been lying. I keep saying my first cruise was  February - but I'm wrong. Id' forgotten I was taken  on a cruise - and the photo says  i was  3 1/2 years - so it must have bee n1965. 

I'm curious to know which ship it might have been - there can't have been many. It was definitely a cruise which left and returned to Southampton - I  have  a photo labelled Tenerife  My memory is that we we went to Casablanca and Maderia too  -but I could be mis-remembering. My parents are long dead,  so I have no one to ask --but though it might be fun to  throw it out there. There was definitely a formal ball at some point too - but I guess they all had those. 

17 minutes ago, lissie said:

I realized I've been lying. I keep saying my first cruise was  February - but I'm wrong. Id' forgotten I was taken  on a cruise - and the photo says  i was  3 1/2 years - so it must have bee n1965. 

I'm curious to know which ship it might have been - there can't have been many. It was definitely a cruise which left and returned to Southampton - I  have  a photo labelled Tenerife  My memory is that we we went to Casablanca and Maderia too  -but I could be mis-remembering. My parents are long dead,  so I have no one to ask --but though it might be fun to  throw it out there. There was definitely a formal ball at some point too - but I guess they all had those. 

There were lots of ships sailing from Southampton in 1965.  You might have been on a P&O cruise.  They were active in that area in 1965 but usually longer 10 to 16 day cruises.  Were there any photos?  

22 minutes ago, lissie said:

I suspect you were on a P&O Cruise or possibly even Cunard.

In those days P&O had at least the Canberra, Oriana, Oronsay, Orsova, Arcadia and also the BI ships.

Best guess is you may have sailed on SS Canberra. Do you have any photos or mementos that could assist in identifying the ship. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You can also try searching databases for passenger lists - they're around for that era as well as much older ones. My family travelled on the maiden voyage of the Oriana from England to Australia and I've recently looked at that passenger list (which, for anyone who likes history, is interesting in a strange sort of way). I often trawl through these things looking for family history.

Do you happen to know which month it was? I'm sure if you search your parents names and 'ship' and 'Southampton' you may get some results.