Cunard cancellation Update 9th December MERGED THREADS

lindylooellalouise

24 minutes ago, lindylooellalouise said:

Hi has anyone else noticed that March and April 2021 cruises have disappeared from the Cunard UK website ?

Yes.

I have been watching a short QE trip a friend of mine and I fancied.  It was on my recently viewed search list. Now, no voyages for that month can be seen. In fact, it looks as if he earliest QE itinerary is for the 14th June.  Interesting.

Looks like they have just cancelled  up to mid 2021 according to the website

As a result of the continuing impact of Covid-19, Cunard has further extended its pause in operations to departures up to and including 28 May 2021 for Queen Mary 2 and up to and including 4 June 2021 for Queen Elizabeth. Queen Victoria’s programme remains unaffected and she is scheduled to resume sailings on 17 May 2021.

Edited by Cathygh
to add info

• Host Hattie changed the title to Cunard cancellation Update 9th December

Me too, at least we had plenty of notice. I had booked 2 of the replacement Queen Elizabeth trips so I always knew it was a possibility that we wouldn't be able to go. I'd been getting more optimistic in recent weeks though.

Off to see where Queen Victoria is going to be ....

Unfortunately, an email from Cunard today has confirmed a further pause in operations in respect of QM2 & Queen Elizabeth (Queen Victoria remains unchanged) - my own transatlantic on 21st May 2021 has been cancelled:

"We have made the decision to cancel voyages on board Queen Mary 2 departing up to and including 28 May 2021 and on board Queen Elizabeth up to and including 4 June 2021. Queen Victoria's programme remains unaffected and she is scheduled to resume sailings on 17 May 2021"

I

Edited by johnsuttoncoldfield
Spelling

Our April 26 sailing has been canceled and I have a $2000 deposit on file for a Q5 cabin. It looks like the next opportunity for us will be May 2022. The credit is worth $500. I see they are running a "Discovery Awaits" promotion now that is almost as good as the promotion we booked under. What your you do, take the refund or roll the credit for a crossing in 18 months? 

Thanks

hg

At least there is now the first of the vaccine roll-outs - so hopefully several vaccines will pass their trials soon, and become approved in the next few months, and the huge vaccination programmes get moving into action during 2021.  Although the process of getting a substantial proportion of the populations of the world vaccinated will take time, at least this marks a change to a true light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully by this time next year people will be posting their experiences of cruises that they 'have' been on, and not just posting about cruises they would like to be able to do in the future.  Hopefully the pandemic landscape will be looking much more rosy again by the spring of 2021, and give us all hope of really getting back on board for the cruise experiences we all love,

Edited by mcloaked
Missing word

We were cancelled off the QM2 May 14 TA sailing ex NY.  I figured it was a bit of a stretch, but this so frustrating. I cannot even imagine how Cunard staff and crew must be feeling. 

Sad to see we won’t be getting the additional 25% on top of the fare since we paid for the trip using a FCC from a cancelled voyage this summer.  We will just have to consider the forgone monies a contribution to the Cunard Survival

Fund. 

Just received an email from Cunard advising cancellation of our April 26th Transatlantic.

It also stated that the revised  dates for the various ships are as follows.

QM2...all sailings cancelled up to and including May 28th 2021

QE.. all sailings cancelled up to and including June 4th 2021

QV..Resuming sailings on May 17th 2021.

They also offer a 25% FCC bonus UNLESS your present cruise booking was made with a FCC from a previously cancelled cruise.

We are in that category. Cunard cancelled our October cruise and we did not receive any bonus, just the value already paid transferred.

Seems rather unfair.

• Host Hattie changed the title to Cunard cancellation Update 9th December MERGED THREADS
19 hours ago, mcloaked said:

At least there is now the first of the vaccine roll-outs - so hopefully several vaccines will pass their trials soon, and become approved in the next few months, and the huge vaccination programmes get moving into action during 2021.  Although the process of getting a substantial proportion of the populations of the world vaccinated will take time, at least this marks a change to a true light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully by this time next year people will be posting their experiences of cruises that they 'have' been on, and not just posting about cruises they would like to be able to do in the future.  Hopefully the pandemic landscape will be looking much more rosy again by the spring of 2021, and give us all hope of really getting back on board for the cruise experiences we all love,

Yes, the sad thing about the latest cancellations is that, by next May, there is every chance that almost all of Cunard's core demographic will have been vaccinated, both in the UK and US.  In the UK thousands are now being done every day.  

The problem, I am guessing, is that the cruise lines know they won't be able to operate again until they have a vaccinated crew.  Given the worldwide origins of their crew, this isn't going to happen in a hurry, and given that most countries will be prioritising people by age, Cunard will probably have to identify a private supply - which doesn't look likely to be available for at least some months.

I believe I was first in this forum to predict, on March 11th, that there would be no cruising for the rest of 2020 - receiving some disbelieving replies at the time.  I think I also said that the shutdown could extend into early 2021, but even I didn't imagine the cessation would extend through to summer 2021.

Edited by IB2

We got our cancellation yesterday for May 21 on QE which was paid by a moved deposit from a moved deposit, now getting complicated so we may just pull the money out altogether and forget the extra 25%.  We also have a QV scheduled for July 21 but looking at how things are going and the cruises between the May restart and when we are due to go for QV I honestly cannot see them doing these cruises.  The Baltic with the problems being faced now in the Scandinavian countries & Russia to name just a few, we are seriously considering just loosing this deposit and withdrawing from cruising for a while as the cost of taking organised tours at every destination is expensive and also prevents the whole reason we cruise which is to explore the ports of call and not sit on a coach.

well it was good whilst it lasted!

We were booked on the QE on the June 4th cruise, and got our cancellation email yesterday. We did look at rebooking an alternative but have now requested a refund of our deposits.

I hadn't considered the problem the cruise lines may face in getting their crews vaccinated. Hopefully that can be resolved.

• 2 months later...

Looks like there has been an extension to the voyages Cunard is no longer selling. There is an update to the "Covid-19 – Keeping you updated." page dated today on the Cunard US website. Here are some excerpts from that page (emphasis added for what I believe is the newly updated information).

"While we await further information, we have (temporarily) stopped selling all cruises 8 days and longer which call upon a U.S. port and depart January 1 through November 1, 2021, any impacted voyages visiting Canadian ports, and all voyages due to sail through June 21, 2021."

"Full  list of impacted voyages.

Queen Mary 2: M116, M117, M117A, M118, M118A, M119A, M119B, M120, M120A, M120B, M121, M121B, M123, M123C, M123D, M124A, M126A, M127A, M129A, M130A, M132A, M132B, M132C, M133, M133A, M133B, M134, M134A, M135A, M136A & M137.

Queen Victoria: V112, V113, V114, V114A, V114B, V115 & V115A.

Queen Elizabeth: Q123N."

As this message indicates, the earliest departure now available to book on the Cunard US website is the June 23, 2021 westbound crossing on QM2.

Note this does not mean the QM2 and QE voyages in June and the QV voyages in May/June still scheduled to depart by June 21, 2021 have been cancelled. As I read it, at this point they just can't be booked anymore until Cunard makes a final decision about them.

• Like 1

We are booked on M121A and just received an email from Cunard today saying our deadline to request a refund is approaching.   I didn’t even realize they had now cancelled the crossing!  I thought it was on hold.  

I suppose it’s just as well.  I’m sure we would have had to cancel.

37 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@Vict0riann, check out this thread.

I was in the middle of replying to your post here about voyage M121A, to say how puzzled I was about the email you received, when this new thread was started.

Thanks.  I was kind of hoping they had taken the decision out of my hands!