12-10-20 Thursday Weigh-In....Getting Pass All The Holidays Without A Gain....Can You?

Belle

That would be me throwing the pillow this morning, Belle. My son is an early riser, just like DH. We told him he can get up and play, but he has to stay in his room until 6am. He pushes it some mornings and jumps (literally) into bed with me 5-10 minutes before that. I was not ready to be woken up this morning!

giphy.gif 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Belle, are you cleaning stuff out for a reason? Maybe it's time? I know you miss your hubby. It's nice to reminisce but painful too when there is someone you've lost. 

Mel, wow, your son gets up really early. I do too though.....Not a good gain but I agree probably because of the salty items. 

Funny I posted after Ombud hours earlier and it's not there.

Main thing I said was I understood why Mel threw a pillow at me.

6AM is to early she must be a saint, I would make him wait till  8AM.

Was happy my kids did sleep I had to wake them for school.

Diana ..You remember I was taking care of my husband and mother, after my

husband died. Then a year and a half later she died. So taking care of

her, doing stuff, paperwork and such. I didn't do much cleaning out

of their things or a lot of my husbands/our stuff.. I have/had a lot their things

boxed in the garage. Plus my husband kept things. He collected too much, me too.

It was just to much to start doing. Wasn't ready.  Kept everything (mail, papers)

in case I needed them. One thing by living alone didn't matter when I did it, now

I am ready. (have done a little here and there) but now what to get everything done.

But will take time. Like now hurt my shoulder moving things. Taking easy today.

Son coming over Thursday to take things to Goodwill for me. Yes it's been hard, like I found a Valentines card my husband bought me. Must of got it before he got sick and didn't

remember to give it to me.

Diana aren't you glad you asked?   Thank you for listening.  It's nice to say things 

out loud (or write out loud) Main thing is to say I wasn't lazy but just couldn't do it till now.

Maybe it was comfortable to have his things around.  Taking my time and giving  things 

to the kids.

Everyone is different, one friend gave her husband things away in 3 to 4 weeks. No way

is right or wrong, everyone deals in it in their own way.

Gee I'm talking and can't stop. Sorry about that.  Will sign off now. Love to ALL.

• Like 1

Belle - It is amazing to discover paperwork etc. from the past that hasn't been seen before.  Before my dad passed away my older sister sent a box of papers and small items that had been his that she thought I would want. (they arrived the day after he passed).   In the box was a letter that my dad wrote probably back in 1982 that started out "I bet you never thought you would hear from me".  I received the box in 1996. 

Amazing that sometimes we receive something from the past that means a lot.  I had a friend that died back in 2001 from brain cancer.  Before she got sick I gave her some items to pick from for her antique shop for a cabinet of Maine items.  My DH's great grandfather was a Maine inventor and they were items that he and his company had produced.  This summer DH was going through our garage and brought in a box that had the items that she had gone through with a wonderful letter from my friend.  I had never seen it before .... almost 20 years later and the letter was a wonderful gift.

Life is always interesting.

Mel - My middle child was an early riser ... no matter what time his bed time was he was always awake at 5:00 am ... he ended up with a bedtime of 8:00 pm ...  He was very active and into everything and had so much energy --- He has ended up being the most productive successful adult.  My understanding from his wife is that he is still awake and ready to go by 5.

There was one post (don't remember if it was this weeks or last weeks) and talked about family holiday traditions .... I would love to post about ours ... perhaps I will before Christmas.  I miss having all my kids and I miss hugging.

We are doing well ... I went exercising today ... (My middle name is not Grace - so my exercise movements are always good for a laugh). 

Hope everyone else is having a good week.  Jan

Belle, I remember you took care of your husband and mother. Hard times.....

Aw, Jan, nice thoughts you shared. Glad you got some exercise. I'm on my exercise bike writing this while hubby is still asleep.

I weighed myself this a.m. No gain from our weekend steak dinner. I even made a box mix of brownies for dessert. Just ate small servings.

Have a good day everyone.

Diana

Another thing......I was talking to a friend last night. She lives in the same suburb I do. She told me she had Thanksgiving at her house. Her husband, her daughter, her 76 year old mom, her sister and sister's son. Inside the house.

What? I asked her "don't you think you should be more careful?" I don't normally tell people what to do but I was aghast and it just came out. 

Then she said this past weekend she, her mom and sister spent one day together baking cookies and had lunch, indoors....

She and her husband are both back at work in an office 3 days a week. They both work for the county. I was surprised by that too considering our stay-at-home order. They are being far too risky in my opinion.

I told her how hubby and I aren't having anyone in our house, not visiting anyone and only going out for groceries once per week. I'm scared, guess she isn't. Put a little rift between us it felt like. 

Ok, I'll shut up about that now.

Diana

Belle - It is so hard to get rid of some things. My mom lived in her house for 40 years and her health declined suddenly. She went from her 4 bedroom house to a 1 bedroom assisted living apartment almost overnight. She told me and my sister what furniture she wanted in the apartment and the rest we brought to her a box at a time to help her sort through. She passed away almost 8 years ago, and I still have a storage unit that is full of her things. She had a HUGE gold crayon rubbing of a tomb of some church figure that died in the 1500's that she and a friend made in London. It's over 7 feet tall, and was in our living room when I was a kid. That thing doesn't go with anything in my house, and even if it did, I don't have a wall to put it on, but I can't get rid of it. There are old photos of relatives I don't know. Boxes of papers we never got to.  Not to mention all of the paperwork that went with the rental properties she inherited from her parents. That's a whole other story. I think it would be easier if all of it was at my house so I could go through it a little at a time, but we don't have a place to store it, so it just sits in the storage unit.

Diana - I'm glad your dinner didn't move the scale. I've "snoozed" so many people on Facebook over the last several months. I figure everyone will be back in a normal frame of mind some time this summer. Until then, I don't want to know how 'crazy' some of my friends are. I'm sure they feel the same about me only going out for groceries and to deliver cake with my mask on when no one else is in the wedding venue.

Jan - It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of how you move as long as you are out there doing the exercise. I figure if no one comments when I keep my butt on the couch (helping by telling me to get off it), they don't have a right to comment when I'm working out either. 😄

Ombud - I love it after the fact. We get some good snuggle time, but I am really not the morning person my son is.

Diet doing better actually counting calories, drinking lots of water and  no added salt.

Not sure whats going to happen with ski trip. Colorado is condition red. .  My granddaughter and I are scheduled to fly.  My son is driving.  Restaurants are closed,  only carry out.  Only time will tell.

having a closet system installed next week.  Have been getting ready.  Have a lot of stuff ready for Salvation Army pick up, tomorrow.  

Nothing to do but think positive thoughts and take one day at a time.

Belle, it's hard to go through inherited stuff. Mom tossed dad's things within 30 days and listed the house at the same time. I took an old desk he found, Salt & pepper shaker he made out of spent shells (he made it for their 1st anniversary and I fished it out of the trash), and a letter from the Synagogue with clues as to where his parents were buried when he was 8. My brother pushed through Mom's belongings when she passed 8 yrs later and we were done with in 6 months.... actually I've got a few boxes here that I still need to go through. Eventually. I have plenty of time. 

As to my stuff, I'm really good with decluttering. 1 in 2 out. 

Diana, our bubble is supposed to be popped but the best we can do is to keep to our 4 houses. My daughter & family doesn't go anywhere, my son just goes to the office, Sohnjay teaches over zoom ~~~~ so we don't mingle much.

Looking forward to the Moderna vaccine. That's the one my sister is supposed to get. She's been told 1 dose = 70% efficacy. So now they want to shift her from high risk OB to ICU. (She was a NICU nurse before becoming an NP). 

Jan, Mel said it best 👍

Hello everyone got busy and then forgot to post.

Thanks all for the kinds words.  It's just hard to get rid of things.

I had to clean out my parents house when brought them up here to live.

Still have some of their stuff I couldn't throw away. Had a storage unit,

went thru again now what's left is in the garage.  Everything will get done

just to much at times.  See we've all have or will have go thru his one time or

another.  That's life.  Only thing doing the cleaning out my shoulder is hurting.

Yesterday not doing much it was better now working today...hurting. That's life too!

Izena that's what I need a closet system.  Isn't your trip in Jan.? Maybe things will 

be better. As you say will just have to wait and see. 

Take care all

Izena - I'm glad your plan is working for you! You are going to love your closet. We had just the basic bar in ours when I was pregnant, and the bar fell - pulled right out of the wall twice. DH upgraded it for me, and it was like I had twice as much room. I felt so much more organized. 

I got good news yesterday. The cake I'm standing behind in my profile photo was published as part of a styled shoot on a wedding blog! It's my third publication, and they take forever. This styled shoot was done way back when everything was just starting to close down in other parts of the country. February I think. No one wore masks while we were setting up - it's odd to think back to that time when it's something I check for every time I leave the house now.  

Mel great to get recognition on great baking.

Belle. Just read your posts.   I could feel your pain.  I dated a man for 5 years I was head over heels.  It ended.   I quickly boxed up things that belonged to him and returned them to his house.    That was in 1995- last year I was able to go through all of  photos and had good memories.   Broken hearts take time to heal. Hope your muscles aren’t too sore.