Changes for travellers from 1 January, post Brexit

Harry Peterson

4 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The statistics say we make 90% of our Cheddar consumption, but a lot of this is exported, however similarly we do import some, Ornua foods, an Anglo-Irish dairy company import some from Ireland to supplement their UK production.

Ornua is basically owned by the Irish Dairy Board.  When I worked for an Irish dairy cooperative they were a major competitor of ours, and had a somewhat different business strategy to ours. I could bore you for hours about the machinations of the Irish dairy industry, but life is too short!

31 minutes ago, batholiver said:

They'll continue to be happy to take our money,  along with other non-EU citizens,  but have you seen those queues for non-EU citizens at airports?

That's a relatively minor point. I'm more concerned about the reintroduction of high mobile phone charges. Only one network has said it definitely won't reintroduce them at some point,  and experience with all of them tells me that whatever they say now those charges will return.  If they can charge, they will charge. It's a basic rule.

This mornings mail says that vodafone  EE and 3 have also said they will not reintroduce roaming.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Ornua is basically owned by the Irish Dairy Board.  When I worked for an Irish dairy cooperative they were a major competitor of ours, and had a somewhat different business strategy to ours. I could bore you for hours about the machinations of the Irish dairy industry, but life is too short!

I suspect they changed when they merged with Adam's dairy, anyway they seem to be currently the major competitor to Dairy crest for Cheddar sales.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I suspect they changed when they merged with Adam's dairy, anyway they seem to be currently the major competitor to Dairy crest for Cheddar sales.

I think you will find Arla, with its creameries in Taw Valley and Lockerbie, plus Malpas and Melton Mowbray is just as an important  competitor  ( and I worked for them as well).

Edited by wowzz

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

There will be a border check at the first country you enter where you passport will be flagged, if you overstay your passport will be flagged, you could then be refused entry the next time you try to go across. 

A few weeks ago I drove 1500 miles thru 5 countries and only saw 1 copper in Calais,in the supposedly enhanced covid travel regs.Who is to say that I wont drive to Switzerland for a period or even Croatia,both non EU countries with open borders.I still say it's unpoliceable,cheers,Brian.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

A few weeks ago I drove 1500 miles thru 5 countries and only saw 1 copper in Calais,in the supposedly enhanced covid travel regs.Who is to say that I wont drive to Switzerland for a period or even Croatia,both non EU countries with open borders.I still say it's unpoliceable,cheers,Brian.

I suspect that you may well be right, but I still have a feeling that certain countries will be more strict in their implementation of the rule than others, especially at a local level. I know the police presence in your part of Italy is pretty low key, but our local Guardia Civil in Spain had a pretty good idea of the location of all the expats. 

6 hours ago, purplesea said:

Perhaps I should apply for my Italian passport.

If you qualify go for it.Our friend Mario who is a Glaswegian Italian living in Broadstairs and Calabria got his passport last year.He qualified via his Granddad in Cassino.He had to sing the Italian anthem and take an oral Italian test.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I suspect that you may well be right, but I still have a feeling that certain countries will be more strict in their implementation of the rule than others, especially at a local level. I know the police presence in your part of Italy is pretty low key, but our local Guardia Civil in Spain had a pretty good idea of the location of all the expats. 

It's all educated guesswork at the moment.Perhaps Boris's deal will pop out of the oven on Sunday,lol.Cheers,Brian.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think you will find Arla, with its creameries in Taw Valley and Lockerbie, plus Malpas and Melton Mowbray is just as an important  competitor  ( and I worked for them as well).

I think you may find that I was specifically discussing Cheddar cheese suppliers.

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Quite correct zap, I did. This has been happening to you a lot recently hasn't it??😁

Avril

Avril. I have been trying to avoid repeating things. Repeating things. R...🤣 Particularly a certain popular singer . Brian has taken up that Batton.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you may find that I was specifically discussing Cheddar cheese suppliers.

Arla produce around 60,000 tonnes of cheddar a year in the UK, so a major manufacturer.

Why did you think that Arla didn't produce cheddar?

Edited by wowzz

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

EE told me they had no plans to reintroduce roaming charges.

I’m afraid, Graham, that’s standard business and government codewording for:

‘We’ll be reintroducing these charges just as soon as we think we can get away with it, now it’s lawful. But not immediately.”

They always say there are no plans for price increases, or tax increases, but then, mysteriously, plans change.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m afraid, Graham, that’s standard business and government codewording for:

‘We’ll be reintroducing these charges just as soon as we think we can get away with it, now it’s lawful. But not immediately.”

They always say there are no plans for price increases, or tax increases, but then, mysteriously, plans change.

Good point.

I have had some great USA phone package prices with EE and if they do introduce roaming charges I will look to get a great EU phone package price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Slightly off topic, but heard on the news last night that we import cheddar?  Why on earth do we import cheddar cheese.  It's comes from here.  Can't we make enough of our own?  Feel rather the same about New Zealand lamb?  Why do we export loads of live sheep to Europe and import New Zealand lamb?

One of the first things that will stop is live animal exports. At present we have to abide by their cruel rules on animal welfare.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Reminds me of many years ago of some strange imports& exports I have experience of .

Shipping oranges from Spain all the way up to Carluke in Scotland to be made into 

Marmalade before getting sent back to Spain .

Or the steelworks that sent the scrap steel out of a local steelworks, again all the way to

Spain ,to be turned into ingots and then sold back to the same steelworks .

So I do not bat an eyelid being told our cheeses are made overseas .

In the USA , DW went off to buy a present for a lady in the care home where she helped out. Look, I have bought her a little teddy bear. It was made in Southampton, exported to China and sent to America. I said, you can't give her that, this little bear has been around the world. He stayed with us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

You also need to remember that there is only a finite amount of UK milk available, and the supply has to be spread amongst all the various manufacturing needs (liquid milk, butter, yogurt etc) as well as cheese.

Now we won't be able to take our own milk to EU, that leaves more for us.

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Dreadfully cruel animal exports will stop.  Along with another load of their silly rules.  As for the fishing, I really hope they stop the ability to fish in our waters.  Our fishermen will be very pleased.

Stopping cruelty to farm animals is worth the whole business to me. Fishing is a added bonus, but we may need to eat more fish. I don't particularly like fish, but would eat it and put the pictures of us all scoffing haddocks on the internet. Take that Johnny foreigners.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I asked you a question about your personal view..

Not expecting a reply now 

My personal view is that next year we will all go to Europe on holiday if we want to and that Spanish hotel chains will be gagging to get us their. Today I have had 2 emails from RIU and Barcelo and one from Brittany Ferries about their new ship, Gallicia. The world will go on, but may change a bit. Trying to rerun the EU referendum won't work, just put Harry,'s blood pressure up.

• Like 2