Sea Dream - Black Sea 2022

bobbyd6363

Hey crew! Another SD Newbie here!
Mega Ship veteran here looking to downsize away from the throngs/hordes of people on Royal Caribbean. Very, Very new to smaller ships and looking forward to some pampering post Covid.  I stumbled on SD while looking for a unique sailing and found the 02 June 2022 sailing that hits Bulgaria, Ukraine and Romania!! 

I have a ton of questions but looking for any folks that have sailed the Black Sea to weigh in on this itinerary

SeaDream.JPG

Edited by bobbyd6363

• bobbyd6363 changed the title to Sea Dream - Black Sea 2022

I haven't been on a SeaDream Black Sea trip, but I have been to the Black Sea.  Granted, I did it when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer and went by bus, having ridden all the way from Yerevan, Armenia to Istanbul via Georgia, then onward to Bulgaria. 

That looks like a very interesting itinerary.  I have been to Burgas and found it to be a lovely city.  We also visited Sozopol, which is a beach town in Bulgaria, not far from Burgas.  I understand it's now a place where stars like to congregate, but when we went in the 90s, it was pretty unspoiled and cheap.  Istanbul is, of course, an amazing city that will blow your mind, if you've never been there.

Having done three SeaDream cruises, I can tell you that you'd be in excellent hands.  The staff is amazing and you will be pampered.  If it were me, I'd definitely consider that a cruise worth taking... but I'm going to hold off on cruises until the vaccines are more available.  

Below is a screenshot I took from a site about Sozopol.  You would probably have the chance to visit there if you wanted to.  I can attest that's what Sozopol looked like when I was there, plus we found a room for about $3 a night.  I'm sure that's no longer possible.

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 8.01.14 AM.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

I haven't been on a SeaDream Black Sea trip, but I have been to the Black Sea.  Granted, I did it when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer and went by bus, having ridden all the way from Yerevan, Armenia to Istanbul via Georgia, then onward to Bulgaria. 

That looks like a very interesting itinerary.  I have been to Burgas and found it to be a lovely city.  We also visited Sozopol, which is a beach town in Bulgaria, not far from Burgas.  I understand it's now a place where stars like to congregate, but when we went in the 90s, it was pretty unspoiled and cheap.  Istanbul is, of course, an amazing city that will blow your mind, if you've never been there.

Having done three SeaDream cruises, I can tell you that you'd be in excellent hands.  The staff is amazing and you will be pampered.  If it were me, I'd definitely consider that a cruise worth taking... but I'm going to hold off on cruises until the vaccines are more available.  

Below is a screenshot I took from a site about Sozopol.  You would probably have the chance to visit there if you wanted to.  I can attest that's what Sozopol looked like when I was there, plus we found a room for about $3 a night.  I'm sure that's no longer possible.

Thanks notheadusc! I am very interested in this itinerary!  Beautiful pic!  The Black Sea has always held my interest as a iron curtain sort of place to see

It is a very interesting part of the world.  One thing to remember about Bulgaria is that their head expressions are different.  If they shake their head, they mean “yes”. Nodding means “no”.  I have been wanting to see more of the Balkans myself and was eyeing SeaDream for the chance, but things never lined up logistically.

I think if you can do it, you should.  

34 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

It is a very interesting part of the world.  One thing to remember about Bulgaria is that their head expressions are different.  If they shake their head, they mean “yes”. Nodding means “no”.  I have been wanting to see more of the Balkans myself and was eyeing SeaDream for the chance, but things never lined up logistically.

I think if you can do it, you should.  

That is interesting! The things we learn when we travel!

I have found a similar Black Sea itinerary on Azamara.  I am now really torn on which to sail!

Definitely going to book one - just cant decide which one!

There are a couple of folks on this board who have done Black Sea on SD so hopefully they will weigh in.  I know one cruise had some badly behaved kids on board and another had some issues with the Russians delaying clearances.  But they enjoyed the Black Sea, except for these issues.  I think they were in the summer of 2013?  Before the Sochi Olympics and rising tensions with the Ruskies?  I’m pretty sure SD hasn’t done these in awhile, so maybe a good sign?

vandrefalk

Yeah, it’s been awhile. I remember eyeing those cruises myself and being kind of glad we didn’t go then.  But that doesn’t mean that area isn’t worth a visit.  You should be prepared for logistical hassles, though.  I remember the border guard in Bulgaria was very disappointed when he saw that we had the right stamps for our time there.  He thought he was about to snag $200. 

Vandrefalk has a good memory!  We were on one of the Black Sea SD voyages prior to the Sochi Olympics.  Indeed we were on the one with the very badly behaved children/teens and even more badly behaved adults with them.  While annoying at the time, and SD staff did what they could, it was truly an adventure to see the Black Sea despite the antics of the difficult group.  

We highly recommend the itinerary, which now understandably omits the Eastern Black Sea ports.  Going up the Bosporus past Istanbul is quite an adventure, especially when you get to the mouth of the Black Sea where the Bosporus ends.  It is always quite “sporty” as my ocean fishing friends euphemistically refer to rougher sea conditions.  The captain explained to us all how it is like a bath tub draining in two directions on top of each other.  Can’t recall which current is on top and which is flowing north v south but it is never a dull moment.  Istanbul is one of our favorite cities in the entire world.  Hope you decide to do it - SD is the best way to do it given the smaller ports. 

• Like 3