Rome hotel

RonPaula

I would like some accessible hotel suggestions. I want to stay around the Pantheon, or central Rome is fine. I’ve noticed that some hotels don’t have street side front doors. So I’m not sure how those work. Also would like accessible restaurants nearby. I use a manual wheelchair and can walk a few steps and can climb 2-3 stairs with assistance from my husband. Thanks

Paula

We decided to go with the Cavalieri Waldorf Astoria. It isn’t in our desired location, but I know that it will be a comfortable place to stay for two nights before we head out on our cruise. I’ll be able to rest and enjoy the view from our balcony on arrival day so that I will be well rested for our tour of Rome the next day. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Paula

• 1 month later...

I am sorry I did not see this on time.  I use a wheelchair.  When in Rome, we always stay at the Hassler, near the Spanish Steps.  The doormen quickly put out a ramp as soon as they see me coming.  The concierge has arranged for my husband and me to go to places we thought would not be accessible.  The hotel is lovely, with large, beautifully decorated, spacious rooms (with huge bathrooms).  There is at least one fully accessible room (though we find the other rooms large enough to accommodate my wheelchair, and the step-in shower meets my needs).  Note that there appear to be several categories of rooms, and the better categories of room are served by their own elevator.

In any event, the hotel has an amazing rooftop restaurant.  The food there is world class.  It also has a cafe in the lobby with wonderful food, perfect drinks, and a pianist who plays the American standards.  The hotel's owner, Mr Hassler, is, I believe, the great-grandson of the founder.  He is also a graduate of the Cornell School of Hotel Management.  It is this melding of tradition and modernity that makes the Hassler a gem.  Let them know what you need in advance, and that work with you.