Covid-19 Vaccinations To Be Required?

Daniel A

I just read this in a Cruise Critic article:  "Frank Del Rio, chairman of Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, which counts Norwegian, Oceania and Regent Seven Seas among its portfolio of cruise brands, had 

stated last week that COVID-19 vaccination would be a requirement for all crewmembers, and stated the company is mulling over that requirement for guests as well."

7 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

Probably will require both crew and cruisers to be vaccinated. 

I, for one, hope so!  I am booked on a July sailing.  I don't want to be stuck wearing a mask all week.  If everyone onboard has been vaccinated, there should be more of a return to normalcy, at least when on board.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I, for one, hope so!  I am booked on a July sailing.  I don't want to be stuck wearing a mask all week.  If everyone onboard has been vaccinated, there should be more of a return to normalcy, at least when on board.

Many public health doctors are saying everyone will have to continue to wear masks until everyone in the world is vaccinated. Some think it should become  the new normal, everyone just wear a mask forever when out in public. You will be wearing a mask on your July cruise, assuming it even goes. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Many public health doctors are saying everyone will have to continue to wear masks until everyone in the world is vaccinated. Some think it should become  the new normal, everyone just wear a mask forever when out in public. You will be wearing a mask on your July cruise, assuming it even goes. 

Sounds great!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billf0401 said:

Wearing a Mask after being vaccinated makes no sense at all to me....We are booked for a cruise 10/31/21...If a mask is required we will most likely cancel.

One reason that may get resolved is they are uncertain is the vaccine prevents one from being able to transmit the virus.  I think mask wearing will be one of the last protocols to go away.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Daniel A said:

If everyone onboard has been vaccinated, there should be more of a return to normalcy, at least when on board.

10 hours ago, susiesan said:

Many public health doctors are saying everyone will have to continue to wear masks until everyone in the world is vaccinated

I qualified my remarks to say "at least when on board."  If everyone on board has been vaccinated, there wouldn't be any need for masks as everyone in that particular world will have been vaccinated.  Going ashore would likely be a different matter.

1 hour ago, clo said:

Why?

We hate wearing a Mask....we only wear them briefly when we go shopping...never more than 20 minutes...Wearing a Mask would ruin a vacation for us....not happening.  Masks are all about control.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, billf0401 said:

We hate wearing a Mask....we only wear them briefly when we go shopping...never more than 20 minutes...Wearing a Mask would ruin a vacation for us....not happening.  Masks are all about control.

Yea, controlling the spread of the virus.

• Like 13

Been working with the tour operators in Argentina for our 2022 cruise that I had set up for the now cancelled 2021 cruise. Their early comments on the subject from indications from the government.

All passengers and crew will be vaccinated or the ship won’t dock or anchor in their waters. Foreign nationals won’t be allowed into the country without vaccinations.

At this time it appears masks will still be required for all tours in 2022. Tour capacity limits are still undecided, affecting how many people can ride in a van or on a bus.

Tour operators must have the names and home addresses of all passengers on the tour at least 5 days prior to the tour . This is for contract tracking, no exceptions. 

They aren’t accepting final bookings until July or August when the government is promising the issue of final regulations .

Before I gave gave them a number of participants and nothing else. If this remains the case the cruise lines won’t be selling shore tours up until the day of the tours.

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Foreign nationals won’t be allowed into the country without vaccinations.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some countries impose stricter controls initially.

Some countries , who currently have strict border controls, may not remove those even for vaccinated visitors until:

1. There is sound scientific data which shows the vaccine administered prevents transmission;

OR

2. A large enough percentage of their own population has been protected from their own vaccination program.

This won't be until the last quarter of 2021 for many countries.

Edited by Tranquility Base

58 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see some countries impose stricter controls initially.

Some countries , who currently have strict border controls, may not remove those even for vaccinated visitors until:

1. There is sound scientific data which shows the vaccine administered prevents transmission;

OR

2. A large enough percentage of their own population has been protected from their own vaccination program.

This won't be until the last quarter of 2021 for many countries.

I agree these would be the two constraints at a minimum for most countries (sadly not all).

Time line, who knows at this point?

18 hours ago, clo said:

He definitely said crew would have to be and was wishy-washy re passengers 🙂

Unless the crew is given some sort of priority over other people, it might be awhile before any of his cruise companies start operating.  Kind of hard to believe that discretionary leisure activities (like cruising) will be given a vaccine priority over vulnerable people in the rest of the world.  But at some point we will be past the critical point on the vaccine distribution.  

I am not sure the vaccination roll out will be completed in the US in 2021, therefore perhaps there will be no cruises for his companies in 2021. 

Any requirement for customer’s to be vaccinated will be a logistics nightmare.  Or it will need to be based on asking the question about vaccination  without any absolute confirmation.  World wide data base?  People are currently be vaccinated and I have not heard about a database.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Any requirement for customer’s to be vaccinated will be a logistics nightmare.  Or it will need to be based on asking the question about vaccination  without any absolute confirmation.  World wide data base?  People are currently be vaccinated and I have not heard about a database.

There are a number of agencies working on developing a reliable 'Covid-19 vaccination passport.'  Search the internet for that phrase and a lot of info will pop up.  The WHO is pushing for a secure internationally recognized electronic passport.

I can see a barcode or a QR code being put on a sticker on your passport and/or other government ID.  Once the barcode is scanned it would verify the status through the WHO.  Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Unless the crew is given some sort of priority over other people, it might be awhile before any of his cruise companies start operating.  Kind of hard to believe that discretionary leisure activities (like cruising) will be given a vaccine priority over vulnerable people in the rest of the world.  But at some point we will be past the critical point on the vaccine distribution.  

I think that's a superb point. Our cruise for 9/22 doesn't look too far out there to me .

3 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

There are a number of agencies working on developing a reliable 'Covid-19 vaccination passport.'  Search the internet for that phrase and a lot of info will pop up.  The WHO is pushing for a secure internationally recognized electronic passport.

I think that's "need to have" rather than a "nice to have."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I qualified my remarks to say "at least when on board."  If everyone on board has been vaccinated, there wouldn't be any need for masks as everyone in that particular world will have been vaccinated.  Going ashore would likely be a different matter.

Masks will be reqired at least until 70% of the world's population is vaccinated. Remember 5% of vacinated individuals it does not take.  Do you want to be eating at a table with one of that 5% who may be asamatic? Only to find your cruise cancelled on day 3?

On another point, 70% of North Americans probably won't have both injections by December 2021.

I hope to get mine first shot by end of June so I can go on my Baltic the end of July.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Masks will be reqired at least until 70% of the world's population is vaccinated. Remember 5% of vacinated individuals it does not take.  Do you want to be eating at a table with one of that 5% who may be asamatic? Only to find your cruise cancelled on day 3?

On another point, 70% of North Americans probably won't have both injections by December 2021.

I hope to get mine first shot by end of June so I can go on my Baltic the end of July.

Since 95%+ of the PAX would be immune, I wouldn't think the cruise would need to be cancelled.  According to the CDC Conditional Sail Order protocols, the ship's infirmary should be able to handle a Covid case either on board or with a pre-existing agreement with health care ashore.  You are saying masks will be required.  If you mean masks required by a cruise line, I won't sail that line.  If you mean because it's for the general population that's a different matter.  Projections for the US are that by this summer, anyone who wants to be vaccinated will be.  If that means there is a percentage that just doesn't get the vaccine by choice that's fine, it's their choice.  But by then it will be my choice to no longer wear a mask.

I'm not an anti mask person, but at some point enough will be enough.  I won't wear a mask for a week straight.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, GICNJC said:

Masks will be reqired at least until 70% of the world's population is vaccinated. Remember 5% of vacinated individuals it does not take. 

14 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Since 95%+ of the PAX would be immune, I wouldn't think the cruise would need to be cancelled. 

Not all of the vaccines in development are 95%.

Some are being reported as in the 70s, some are being reported as in the 80s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

Not all of the vaccines in development are 95%.

Some are being reported as in the 70s, some are being reported as in the 80s.

"Public health officials estimate that 70 to 75 percent of the population needs to be vaccinated before people can start moving freely in society again."

Not everybody onboard a ship will have taken a vaccine with that low of a efficacy rate.  So out of the total population on board, you would likely be looking at something close to 90% or more.  Since the general consensus is that 70 to 75% is the benchmark for normal resumption, wouldn't the onboard population surpass that criteria for "moving freely in society again?"  Again, I'm only referring to a population while onboard with a 100% vaccination rate.  What shoreside activities would look like may be very different.

On a 'R' class ship, it wouldn't be too difficult to detect if someone is still a spreader through current testing protocols.  If they're still a spreader they would be quarantined but the cruise wouldn't need to be cancelled.