Covid-19 Vaccinations To Be Required?

Daniel A

7 hours ago, billf0401 said:

Masks are all about control.

Yeah. Controlling the virus. Better stay in Florida. More than 50% of Calif. has shut down all dining, indoor and outdoor, and you have to wear a mask indoors and out. And tons of other things.

• Like 1

This is only locally, but I would imagine it’s happening nationally, every first responder currently getting the vaccinations is feed into both the hospitals database and then the individual data is uploaded to the County Health department’s database. They plan on continuing that practice through the nursing homes, school employees, and onwards. They know who got which vaccine and when, plus when the 2nd dose is required, and if received.

It is my understanding that , once completed, the local databases will be uploaded to a national database. All those individuals getting the drive by vaccinations in the future will be supplying a lot of personal information to the teams before they get the shots. These won’t be incognito affairs.

• Like 1

I still have one of the old vaccination yellow cards.  I can imagine that they could easily be brought back.  As I recall, they are endorsed by the medical facility that gave the inoculation.  That would certainly be a solution to determining who has received the vaccine. 

I am a bit concerned about the various time frames being bandied about for how quickly how much of the population will get the vaccine.  They want 70% of the population to be vaccinated.  That means 232 million people.  That's 464 million doses, 464 million vials, 464 million syringes and 464 million needles.  Then there's the European Union - 447 million people.  70% of that is about 342 million, which will require 684 million doses, etc.  Canada has another 38 million and Mexico has 127 million.  Forgetting all of the other countries of the world, we are still talking about 1,159,000,000 doses, etc., for just North America and the European Union.  That will require the manufacture of 3,175,342 doses of vaccine, vials, etc. every single day for the next year.  That doesn't take into account the other 170 or so other countries and their populations.  Does anyone think that that is reasonable or possible? 

Masks might well still be needed in ports, and we shall have to see what the situation is aboard ship.  It could be that with a generally older cruising population that a vast majority of the passengers might have been vaccinated by this time next year.  I don't love wearing mask a lot of the time, but it is not a matter of control but a matter of public health.  Freedom is not freedom to do that which would endanger others.  We are part of a common society to which there are responsibilities.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, bbwex said:

I am a bit concerned about the various time frames being bandied about for how quickly how much of the population will get the vaccine. 

Agreed.

Back in March when Italy was locking down, I cancelled 2021 sailing.

Ever since, I have read various forums and been amazed at some people's impression of when they might be cruising around multiple countries.

The same over-optimism appears to be in evidence over the vaccines.

31 minutes ago, bbwex said:

Freedom is not freedom to do that which would endanger others.  We are part of a common society to which there are responsibilities.

Well said.

If smart policies & procedures are quickly and continuously deployed, AND you are able to take your population along with you, then freedoms can return more quickly.

Much to be learnt before Covid-29 strikes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

i think an issue is that there is very little chance the vaccines are going to be effective in 95% of cases when used outside a trial environment and there are probably going to be many vaccines approved in many countries (will proof that you had some Sputnik vaccine be OK?) with varying efficacy rates and that the vaccine may not stop you transmitting the virus. So masks will necessary for a very long time

Edited by drkitkat123
addition
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

i think an issue is that there is very little chance the vaccines are going to be effective in 95% of cases when used outside a trial environment and there are probably going to be many vaccines approved in many countries (will proof that you had some Sputnik vaccine be OK?) with varying efficacy rates and that the vaccine may not stop you transmitting the virus. So masks will necessary for a very long time

In line with what the S.A. Tour guides are telling me for 2022 tours. 1. All foreign nationals entering the country will need to have been vaccinated. 2. Masks, physical distancing, and capacity controls for land tours will still be in effect. Nothing unexpected.

I do believe that if 100% vaccinations are required for all crew and passengers, masks may not be required aboard ship. However, once you step on the gangplank the masks will go on. It will be well into 2022 before some of those countries are fully immunized. 

Those countries want us to come visit and spend money. They just want it under strict protocols. Not unreasonable at all.

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

I am flying to Costa Rica in a month for a land vacation. No pre flight covid tests required, no quarantine, no vaccination requirements. I do have to buy a special travel I insurance policy that covers covid expenses, but that will cost me $50. It's not a cruise, but it is a vacation. If Costa Rica can relax their requirements, surely many other countries can. It depends on how badly they want tourism revenue and jobs to return. For Costa Rica, tourism is in the top 3 sources of income for the country along with technology exports and agriculture.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I am flying to Costa Rica in a month for a land vacation. No pre flight covid tests required, no quarantine, no vaccination requirements. I do have to buy a special travel I insurance policy that covers covid expenses, but that will cost me $50. It's not a cruise, but it is a vacation. If Costa Rica can relax their requirements, surely many other countries can. It depends on how badly they want tourism revenue and jobs to return. For Costa Rica, tourism is in the top 3 sources of income for the country along with technology exports and agriculture.

I would not take a trip today with such liberal guidelines.  Inevitably someone will catch Covid.  In six, nine or twelve months it maybe safe to do such a trip but no way until at a minimum me and every else in the bus is vaccinated. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I would not take a trip today with such liberal guidelines.  Inevitably someone will catch Covid.  In six, nine or twelve months it maybe safe to do such a trip but no way until at a minimum me and every else in the bus is vaccinated. 

What's the quote about not wanting to join any club that would have me as a member? Just because the country is being foolish doesn't mean I'm going to be.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Well that's your choice. We took a trip to Arizona in Oct., flew to Phoenix on a 100% full plane, rented a car, drove around for 9 days, stayed in hotels, ate in restaurants, hiked and did outside activities. No problems, did not have me worried in the least. Costa Rica is an outside activity destinations, beaches, jungles, cloud forest, volcanoes. Except for the plane ride, we are not going to be in any large groups, just the 2 of us in shuttle vans between 3 different locations. This is not a bus tour.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Well that's your choice. We took a trip to Arizona in Oct., flew to Phoenix on a 100% full plane, rented a car, drove around for 9 days, stayed in hotels, ate in restaurants, hiked and did outside activities. No problems, did not have me worried in the least. Costa Rica is an outside activity destinations, beaches, jungles, cloud forest, volcanoes. Except for the plane ride, we are not going to be in any large groups, just the 2 of us in shuttle vans between 3 different locations. This is not a bus tour.

And I wish you the best of luck. We're near Lake Tahoe and while skiing and other outdoor activities are open there are restrictions. And hotels, vacation rentals are closed, restaurants are closed except for take out, bars and the like are completely closed, retail is at 20% of capacity. And more. And we've lived with some version of this for so very, very long that we've become accustomed to it. At this point we're trying to help stem the tide. That whole part being part of the solution. We have ICU units at 99% capacity. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, bbwex said:

I still have one of the old vaccination yellow cards.  I can imagine that they could easily be brought back.  As I recall, they are endorsed by the medical facility that gave the inoculation.  That would certainly be a solution to determining who has received the vaccine. 

That is as long as the vaccination card wasn't bought on eBay.

International Certificate of Vaccination, Yellow Card, Carte Jaune, CDC-731, NEW 9780160795879 | eBay

• Like 1

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Those looking for a vacation....look at Florida.  We are open for business.  Restaurants, Bars, etc were packed today.  No lock Downs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, clo said:

Definitely not kidding....We went to our local Cracker Barrel today....Full with people waiting....Restaurants are operating at 100% capacity.  Stores are all operating normally.  Life is being lived here.

1 minute ago, billf0401 said:

Definitely not kidding....We went to our local Cracker Barrel today....Full with people waiting....Restaurants are operating at 100% capacity.  Stores are all operating normally.  Life is being lived here.

11,000+ new cases in one day. No thanks. Plus we don't eat in chain restaurants. 

Did you read the link I provided?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clo said:

11,000+ new cases in one day. No thanks. Plus we don't eat in chain restaurants. 

Did you read the link I provided?

Certainly everyone knows there is some risk.  Those that choose to shelter in place are welcome to do so. We also know that the recovery rate is approx 98%.  In our Brevard county (Port Canaveral is here) 3.01% of the population has been reported as testing positive since this began.  Of those positive about 2.5% have died (this is .08% of the population so 99.92% of us are still here), the majority of which were over 80 with contributing issues.   My point is here in Florida you can choose to do as you wish.  Oh by the way we have no deaths due to flu or pneumonia now.

Just now, billf0401 said:

My point is here in Florida you can choose to do as you wish. 

And my point is that a lot of the country is trying to protect people. You know, of course, that FL has never had a good reputation regarding COVID, don't you?

• Like 1

Just now, billf0401 said:

Statistics for the last 7 days show Florida at 27.5 per 100k which is 11th Best in the USA.  Nevada on the other hand is at 52.3 per 100k. 

1 minute ago, billf0401 said:

Statistics for the last 7 days show Florida at 27.5 per 100k which is 11th Best in the USA.  Nevada on the other hand is at 52.3 per 100k. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/how-us-states-currently-rank-with-covid-19/ar-BB1b8Qrf?fullscreen=true#image=2

18 minutes ago, billf0401 said:

Cases or deaths or ????