Covid-19 Vaccinations To Be Required?

Daniel A

47 minutes ago, ORV said:

I do when my wife doesn't make me turn the channel. Someone I read recently said that when you read something you agree with immediately try to find the opposite opinion or idea and consider it. I like to know how people are being influenced. Some of them I really can't stomach for very long, Tucker Carlson for example. 

I wasn't looking to turn this into a political discussion.  My initial point was if the medical community is so sure they can differentiate between a Covid-19 infection and another pulmonary viral infection they why did they need to invent the catch-all term 'Covid Like Illness'?  I do think there are any number of Covid-19 'cases' being reported which are flu but I don't think it's the majority of cases however.  I also believe it's not helpful to be deliberately casting a wider net.  I take credibility very seriously.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

My initial point was if the medical community is so sure they can differentiate between a Covid-19 infection and another pulmonary viral infection they why did they need to invent the catch-all term 'Covid Like Illness'? 

That originated from the early days of the pandemic when Covid testing was very limited and a somewhat lengthy process waiting for results.

A location would experience multiple people with symptoms, and until it was shown to be Covid or otherwise, they used that term.

It was better to err on the side of caution and use that term initially, until they could identify which virus was actually causing the symptoms. 

That's my assessment (guess) anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

Or is dying from anything else. 

Total nonsense. Just the opposite is true.  The increase in deaths over the number expected (known as excess deaths) in the US this year  far exceeds the number of deaths attributed to COVID-19. Through October 3 one third of excess deaths, totaling about 100,000, were due to to causes other than COVID-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6942e2.htm

"Overall, an estimated 299,028 excess deaths occurred from late January through October 3, 2020, with 198,081 (66%) excess deaths attributed to COVID-19. "

Edited by njhorseman

1 hour ago, Tranquility Base said:

That originated from the early days of the pandemic when Covid testing was very limited and a somewhat lengthy process waiting for results.

A location would experience multiple people with symptoms, and until it was shown to be Covid or otherwise, they used that term.

It was better to err on the side of caution and use that term initially, until they could identify which virus was actually causing the symptoms. 

That's my assessment (guess) anyway.

It's not just a guess, it's spot on.

https://directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/syndromic-surveillance-and-covid-like-illness/

"Early in the COVID-19 response, when testing was not widely available, a syndrome for COVID-Like Illness was adopted nationally to allow for early monitoring of COVID-19 across the country. This allowed local, state, and federal partners to monitor disease spread in the absence of other traditional data sources like reliable case and laboratory reporting."

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And yet, "covid-like" stays with us.

As for the excess deaths, it is interesting that little effort is being made to analyze when those deaths are from suicide, overdoses, alcoholism and when death is due to lack of treatment for other conditions.  It's all blamed on one thing -- the one that Birx said we needed to stay home for, while she met her family for Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

As for the excess deaths, it is interesting that little effort is being made to analyze when those deaths are from suicide, overdoses, alcoholism and when death is due to lack of treatment for other conditions.  It's all blamed on one thing

I think the medical community is far too busy dealing with that "one thing"  right now to put too much time analyze the excess deaths in any depth. I'm reasonably sure that after the world is back closer to normal the excess deaths will be studied in greater detail. 

It's "all  blamed on one thing", because that "one thing" is very likely the underlying cause. Do you have a better explanation why suicides and alcoholism and overdoses suddenly increased in 2020? And you've left out one very likely contributing reason...people being unwilling to go to a doctor or hospital for diagnosis and treatment of symptoms that might be associated with serious health issues. why aren't they going? That "one thing".

Edited by njhorseman

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

She got a ton of criticism in both social and news media.  No mention of any threats, just that it was "overwhelming scrutiny" on her family.

I think I'm wrong about threats. Just took another look. Apologies. I was probably thinking of Fauci.

When it comes to the teaching of the 10 Principles of War in many Defence Colleges around the world, the first and the master principle is:

Selection and Maintenance of the Aim. 

A single and unambiguous aim is the keystone of successful military operations 

In this war against Covid, not only should citizens of all countries be demanding such focus from their leadership, but also be guided by it themselves.

In other words, themselves staying focused moving forward, in order to effectively fight the battles yet to come.

PS: Is it Christmas yet ?

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Thanks 1

Did most here catch the National news last night discussing the new Covid passport? A secure down load, from health officials, to your phone providing proof one has gotten their Covid vaccinations. 

There goes providing fake shot records out the window! 

Step 1 is being completed. Did you likewise catch the part where reading that passport will soon be required to get into sports and musical events, and other large scale gatherings events? Can anyone say “ to get on a cruise ship?”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Did most here catch the National news last night discussing the new Covid passport? A secure down load, from health officials, to your phone providing proof one has gotten their Covid vaccinations. 

Step 1 is being completed. Did you likewise catch the part where reading that passport will soon be required to get into sports and musical events, and other large scale gatherings events? Can anyone say “ to get on a cruise ship?”

I also noted that they are looking to develop a smart card for those who do not have internet access or a smart phone. 

52 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I missed that, which network was it? 

Now all we need is to actually vaccinate people.

They were expecting that 20 Mil shots would be given by the end of the year - so far only 2 Mil have been given.

At this rate apparently it would take some 10 years to achieve herd immunity.

Can we do better?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

They were expecting that 20 Mil shots would be given by the end of the year - so far only 2 Mil have been given.

Can we do better?

January 20, 2021

So I see that we are running 90% behind projections for the number of people to be vaccinated by the end of the year. We need engineer Scotty to do a little tweaking on that Warp Speed drive. 

5 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Can we do better?

20 million shots by the end of the year was never a realistic goal.

36 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

20 million shots by the end of the year was never a realistic goal.

It actually could have been done - Orr at least closer to it - with better organization on the last part - the vaccination itself.

I believe over 11 M have been delivered but not all administered. Countries with solo payer health system are much better positioned for the administration.

For example, I have no idea who or how will notify me that it’s my turn even though I am over 70 and have several co-morbidities. Will my local CVS call me? How would they when it’s my turn?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

It actually could have been done - Orr at least closer to it - with better organization on the last part - the vaccination itself.

I believe over 11 M have been delivered but not all administered. Countries with solo payer health system are much better positioned for the administration.

For example, I have no idea who or how will notify me that it’s my turn even though I am over 70 and have several co-morbidities. Will my local CVS call me? How would they when it’s my turn?

Paul, I think you need to ask your Governor Newsom? Once vaccines have been distributed it is up to the States to define who gets what and when. Good Luck

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Paul, I think you need to ask your Governor Newsom? Once vaccines have been distributed it is up to the States to define who gets what and when. Good Luck

I'm going to ask my doctor.

40 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Is there a State that is doing better?

If so, maybe I should ask them how they are getting it done.

8 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Is there a State that is doing better?

If so, maybe I should ask them how they are getting it done.

Here in the sunshine state, they are already vaccinating anyone over the age of 65.  My DW and I will go Monday to get the first Moderna dose.  It's done on the County level...you sign up on the County website for an appointment time, or in our case, first come first serve.  The line will be long, but it's drive-thru so we can relax in the car and read.  Perhaps a benefit of living in a state governed by a Trump toady.

• Like 3