Royal Caribbean sells 2 ships - Will Celebrity follow suit?

C-Dragons

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Ok thank you for the clarification- not something I knew about.  In reality it does not really matter at this point.  Celebrity's smallest ships are M-Class which are still pretty large.  We would need to go to another RCG-branded line with smaller ships (the more expensive Azamara or Silversea) if for whatever reason loyalty still matters.  Or just choose another cruise line with whatever size ship and price point you are comfortable with.  Lot's of options!

As far as loyalty,  Azamara points are Celebrity points. Points are combined. 

9 hours ago, deliver42 said:

Except for the super premium lines, there aren't any small ships left. The closest are the older MSC ships.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

How about Pacific Princess for one.

25 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Another R ship...

And rumored to have been offered to Azamara (for free!) when they bought R-Eight (ex-Royal Princess, ex-Adonia).  But apparently R-Eight had so many maintenance issues that RCG won't even take the free gift...

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

And rumored to have been offered to Azamara (for free!) when they bought R-Eight (ex-Royal Princess, ex-Adonia).  But apparently R-Eight had so many maintenance issues that RCG won't even take the free gift...

And Princess just announced that they sold the Pacific Princess.  Time to rebook something else.

1 minute ago, NMTraveller said:

And Princess just announced that they sold the Pacific Princess.  Time to rebook something else.

Expectation is that it was sold to Azamara's new owners to add to that fleet.

It was 32 days ago when I started this thread regarding RCG selling it's two oldest ships. Five days ago, another thread was started about RCG selling off their Azamara brand.

I'm sad to say, that Imo, it seems the cruise lines' financial situation is rapidly changing (in a bad way) despite their best intentions and efforts to stay afloat. X's management has stated that they will keep the E class including Beyond which is still under construction. The S class is relatively new and very popular. Imo, the M class would be at risk as the oldest and least efficient of the X fleet. And as it was pointed out to me earlier, X does not need the M class for the Panama Canal cruises.

Whatever happens, I want X to survive this Pandemic.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

It was 32 days ago when I started this thread regarding RCG selling it's two oldest ships. Five days ago, another thread was started about RCG selling off their Azamara brand.

I'm sad to say, that Imo, it seems the cruise lines' financial situation is rapidly changing (in a bad way) despite their best intentions and efforts to stay afloat. X's management has stated that they will keep the E class including Beyond which is still under construction. The S class is relatively new and very popular. Imo, the M class would be at risk as the oldest and least efficient of the X fleet. And as it was pointed out to me earlier, X does not need the M class for the Panama Canal cruises.

Azamara may be a precursor of what might happen to Celebrity. The brand and fleet sold off for a cheap to private equity.  

15 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Sadly agree.  Even the most optimistic of us in March 2020 when the first No Sail Order was issued thought that by sometime in 2021 we would be sailing.  And that cruise lines could survive one way or another into 2021 with massive amounts of debt financing which all occurred.  Now we are awaiting enough people to be vaccinated (passengers and crew) and it is not looking promising until perhaps 2022 for revenue cruises.  Can the industry survive 2 years with further contractions and dare to say bankruptcies?  Holding my breath at this point.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, Charles4515 said:

As far as loyalty,  Azamara points are Celebrity points. Points are combined. 

Just as a thought....After Azamara's sale, I wonder if Azamara points can be transferred and combined with Celebrity points??  May boost some to higher CC status.

Edited by Oceangoer2

56 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Just as a thought....After Azamara's sale, I wonder if Azamara points can be transferred and combined with Celebrity points??  May boost some to higher CC status.

Why would they do that? They were separate when owned by the same company, what would change after the sale?

The industry is approaching a point where ridding themselves of smaller subsidiaries, older ships, etc is going to pick up pace. The banks are going to lose faith sooner than later. From US ports specifically, there isn’t much hopeful news on the horizon. We still have government leaders fighting to loosen COVID safeguards. I really think 2022 is going to be the starting point for any semblance of a return to service.  

57 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Why would they do that? They were separate when owned by the same company, what would change after the sale?

9 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe Azamara points are already combined with Captains Club so everything earned should be retained in CC.

Thanks for your responses......Didn't explain myself very well.

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Sadly agree.  Even the most optimistic of us in March 2020 when the first No Sail Order was issued thought that by sometime in 2021 we would be sailing.  And that cruise lines could survive one way or another into 2021 with massive amounts of debt financing which all occurred.  Now we are awaiting enough people to be vaccinated (passengers and crew) and it is not looking promising until perhaps 2022 for revenue cruises.  Can the industry survive 2 years with further contractions and dare to say bankruptcies?  Holding my breath at this point.

I am holding my breath as well.  I have two more cruises supposed to sail later this year, and five next year.  So very much hoping the lines do not go bankrupt.  At the same time, I can't see an entire industry going away.  There are millions of dollars invested in dozens (hundreds?) of beautiful cruise ships sitting out there waiting to be used.  Do these all just go away to scrap?  That obviously won't happen.  My hope is that if bankruptcies of some kind take place, the lines are able to exist in some format - and my bigger hope is that the money we have invested in deposits and FCC will somehow be honored in the future regardless of what that future looks like.

I can't see an entire cruise industry going away, too many countries depend on revenue generated by them.
But for the larger companies, such as RCG, at some point there will have to be a reorganization and downsizing. Sadly, it is inevitable, Imo.

RCI operates 34 ships (4 of them are the largest in the world) and they have 6 additional ships on order. X has 1 ship, Beyond, under construction and had plans to build 2 more. Perhaps RCG will cancel many of those future new builds?

The longer the pandemic keeps everything at a standstill, the more dire the future looks for the cruise lines. We choose to take the FCC's for our canceled X cruises and invest them in our future cruise bookings. I'm praying for X to succeed.