Need Help with Edge Corner Aft Sky Suite Decision

CanuckCruizer

Hi everyone - trying to book a corner aft Sky Suite and can't figure out which decks have the largest balconies - seems like some are "deeper" than others and not sure if some are actually "wider" than others?  Trying to decide between Deck 8 & Deck 11.  Want to also see the view down from the railing on each one and only found one picture down from 11268 but it wasn't too clear.  Anyone been in these ones?  Any help would be greatly appreciated as have to make a decision quickly.🙂

Thanks very much,

Canuck

Jelayne,  Thanks for the link - I already looked there.  Would just love to get an idea of what "looking down from the railing" is like at each cabin - can't decide & have not been on Edge Class yet.  I have seen some pics of each cabin but some balconies are looking different sizes - depends on the angle of the picture I guess.  I watched a video of the one on Deck 7 but that balcony "seemed" smaller than all the pictures of the rest of them but then again, it is how the video was shot.

My research continues....lol  We are trying to do a B2B2B, so the cabin is important to us.

Thanks very much for your help.

Canuck

Found a review and pic of an SV on 8 that said it was 50-60% covered and it looked quite shaded.  Does anyone know if the cabins on Deck 11 get more sun (are less covered) than Deck 8, or are they all the same?  Seen dozens and dozens of photos but only one seems to show that.  Any insight would be appreciated.😀

Canuck

1 hour ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Found a review and pic of an SV on 8 that said it was 50-60% covered and it looked quite shaded.  Does anyone know if the cabins on Deck 11 get more sun (are less covered) than Deck 8, or are they all the same?  Seen dozens and dozens of photos but only one seems to show that.  Any insight would be appreciated.😀

Canuck

The lower aft SV's balconies are a little larger, but that changes as you book a cabin to each side of the middle, as you can see on Celebritie's configuration of the ship.  Personally, it is your preference, but the best of both worlds for sun and shade.  Remember that a lot has to do with the angle of the sun, hours of daylight and direction of ship,  We were in a corner S1 suite for a 15 day transatlantic on Edge and had lots of sun on deck 11; I am sure aall the decks provide sun and shade like ours, but our deck was just larger.  It was perfect IMHO.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Lastdance - Thanks for your reply.  We are going to book a Corner Aft Sky Suite on the Apex - I just saw a picture of the balcony on Deck 8 with quite a bit of shade and just wondered...We have to look at the Edge, of course, as no one has sailed the Apex yet.

I received another reply on another thread from someone that thought the ones on 11 and 12 were deeper/larger than the lower ones, so would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in the ones on 8, to compare.

Thanks,

Canuck

Decided on Sky Suite 11268, so thanks for the help.  As we are doing a B2B2B, want to book an SV for 1 of them to keep costs down.  The balcony of SV 11274 seems "slightly wider" but not as deep as SV 11273 - hard to know as this is for Apex.  Looking at pictures, Edge seems to show 11274 as being definitely wider than 11273, but if you look at the Apex aft - both cabins look "almost" the same, only having a slight difference in width.  Pictures of 11273 on Edge show a much deeper balcony than 11274, although not many "good" balcony pics of 11274. Anyone know anything?  And yes, cabin & balcony size is important to us.  I know a lot of people couldn't care less but we do.🙂 I have googled till the cows come home and cannot find any more info.  Has anyone been in either 11274 or 11273 on Edge and could help me decide?

Thanks!

Canuck

I am assuming you have seen this picture of Edge. It definitely shows that 11274 is wider than 11273. I don’t know why the depth would be much different. The 2 Center SV’s are the largest balconies on Edge.  The difference in width decreases as you go higher on the ship. 

image.jpeg.2496e9ce52acd5c68d4a7580d4333265.jpeg

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RICCruisers

Thanks for your reply.  Yes - I have saved that picture to my album.  Also looking at picture of aft of Apex and they are a little bit different than Edge's aft - showing less difference in width between the 2 cabins on Apex.  I did see a picture of both ships side by side, showing the aft, which was very good but can't find it now.

I do know that the 2 biggest SV's are on 7 & 8.  Had 8314 booked but DH did not want to then move up to Deck 11 for Sky Suite afterwards, so now looking to stay on Deck 11.  I have seen both pics of 11274 (though not a good complete pic of balcony) and good complete pics of 11273 and 11273 is much deeper than 11274 (as it shows on the deck plans as well), in my opinion but less wide.  So I guess it is....do I want a tiny bit wider and less deep, or do I want a tiny bit narrower and more deep.  Oh - to have such problems in the middle of the mess of the world!😁

At this point, I am leaning towards 11273 being the better one, but who knows, as have not been on an Edge Class ship.  So I was wondering if anyone has been in these 2 cabins and could compare, but that would be a miracle to find I guess.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays to you.

Canuck

19 minutes ago, George C said:

Love aft suites, unfortunately for us they sell out quickly and were all gone when we booked our April edge cruise.

Indeed, 2 nights ago I booked APEX Med cruise for Oct. 2022 and I was able to get the last aft suite available. Sky 10267 with a 163SF balcony.  

5 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

George C - that's too bad that they were all taken.  Yes - you have to be early for these suites.  Once in a blue moon - I have managed to snag one that someone cancelled, so it doesn't hurt to keep checking availability.

Canuck

Agree we had a Europe 12 day cruise on brilliance and I booked super early but there one aft grand suite was already booked but I kept checking and a few months before sailing it opened up and I was able to switch to it great suite. 

On 12/20/2020 at 2:13 PM, CanuckCruizer said:

Lastdance - Thanks for your reply.  We are going to book a Corner Aft Sky Suite on the Apex - I just saw a picture of the balcony on Deck 8 with quite a bit of shade and just wondered...We have to look at the Edge, of course, as no one has sailed the Apex yet.

I received another reply on another thread from someone that thought the ones on 11 and 12 were deeper/larger than the lower ones, so would love to hear from anyone who has stayed in the ones on 8, to compare.

Thanks,

Canuck

I believe that the Aft verandahs on Apex will be the same size as those on the Edge. The Apex will be longer in total length than Edge, but Imo, this will not impact the size of those verandahs.

10 minutes ago, George C said:

Agree we had a Europe 12 day cruise on brilliance and I booked super early but there one aft grand suite was already booked but I kept checking and a few months before sailing it opened up and I was able to switch to it great suite. 

Ahhhh - the coveted 1600!  Yes, we enjoyed that suite on the Jewel on a T/A.  We had JS1100 (another favourite) on the 1st leg in the Caribbean and then tossed our clothes down the hall to 1600, for the T/A.😄

C-Dragons - yes, guess we will just have to wait and see....even though the width of the aft suites look the same but the verandahs at the back of the Apex - well they look a "tiny" bit different, IMHO, but I could be wrong.

Canuck

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 11:13 AM, CanuckCruizer said:

Thanks,

Canuck

SV’s are a little larger on the  low decks.  Have not heard this about S1corner aft suites.  Bigger SV decks in middle on decks 7 and 8. I have never heard that about suites except for S class.  Deck six corner aft suite is tiny....I have personally seen one!

B34FF986-090C-4A5D-A6AD-EEF490231C61.jpeg

Edited by Lastdance

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

SV’s are a little larger on the  low decks.  Have not heard this about S1corner aft suites.  Bigger SV decks in middle on decks 7 and 8. I have never heard that about suites except for S class.  Deck six corner aft suite is tiny....I have personally seen one!

B34FF986-090C-4A5D-A6AD-EEF490231C61.jpeg

GREAT pic!!  I will be on a similar balcony in S1 on my Israel cruise, balcony is 163SF and for the life of me why do they not have a small dining table and chairs out there!?!

Lastdance - Is that 11268 you posted the pic of?  Or is it 8314 SV?Looks good.  

Yes - I know the SV ones on 7 & 8 are bigger but DH does not want to move from Deck 8 up to Deck 11, he would rather move a couple of doors down than several decks.  I know everyone says they will move the stuff for you but we have done loads of B2B's and that is usually not the case in our experience.  We would rather do it ourselves.

LGW59 - yes, I totally agree - we need a dining table!!!  It is really ridiculous not to have one.  We love to enjoy breakfast on the balcony and sometimes even dinner.

Canuck

Okay - finally decided and now have 8314 SV and the corner aft Sky Suite on 8 & have finalized the B2B2B - so excited!  Would still like more pictures/videos and more information if anyone has it.  Now I can go back to concentrating on Christmas! lol

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas & may 2021 be a better year for all!

Canuck

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Okay - finally decided and now have 8314 SV and the corner aft Sky Suite on 8 & have finalized the B2B2B - so excited!  Would still like more pictures/videos and more information if anyone has it.  Now I can go back to concentrating on Christmas! lol

Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas & may 2021 be a better year for all!

Canuck

Good  choice..  i believe Deck 8 will be quieter. Less  noise from above decks

18 hours ago, CanuckCruizer said:

Lastdance - Is that 11268 you posted the pic of?  Or is it 8314 SV?Looks good.  

Yes - I know the SV ones on 7 & 8 are bigger but DH does not want to move from Deck 8 up to Deck 11, he would rather move a couple of doors down than several decks.  I know everyone says they will move the stuff for you but we have done loads of B2B's and that is usually not the case in our experience.  We would rather do it ourselves.

Yes, it is 11268.  I booked it again for my Istanbul cruise...I just purchased a share of it so it would be easier to book!  Just kidding!  I have seen 11274 and it is not as big as 11268, but is a great cabin for the price. When I booked it for Apex, I received an extra perk upgrade and a discounted fare, according to Captain's Club when I called ask a question.  She wanted to know how I did that, but I have no idea except did it online and was the first to book this SV category.  it also shows a fire wall, so should be very quiet on that side.  You do know that the S1 corner aft suites have the bed sideways and no mirror, making it tight to get to the bathroom, but I like the bathroom configuration better.  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Edited by Lastdance

Thanks for the reply Lastdance.  We had 11268 but just switched to 8308 instead - couldn't decide - back and forth - but, in the end, 8314 won & hubby doesn't want to trek up to 11 for the move, so staying on 8.  So far, I cannot see any differences in size of corner aft Sky Suites, so figured it would be good either way - fingers crossed there are no surprises.😃

Thanks for your help!  All the best to you in 2021.

Canuck

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

You do know that the S1 corner aft suites have the bed sideways and no mirror, making it tight to get to the bathroom, but I like the bathroom configuration better.  Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

I also love the bathroom configuration in the Aft S1's. 😊

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help.  After much deliberation, I switched to Deck 11 for the 3 cruises.  Forgot to say to Lastdance that yes, I know the bed does not face the ocean & no mirrored sliding wall in the bathroom but that is ok - we are aft dwellers and prefer the wake view & larger balconies, although was intrigued by the mirror.🙂

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas & Happy Boxing Day!

Canuck

• Like 1