What a tourism ‘bubble’ could look like in Southeast Alaska

Glaciers

Article from Ketchikan on what cruising in SE Alaska my look like in 2021. The second link is a detailed look at what precautions are being taken based on where the pandemic is at the time.

https://www.krbd.org/2020/11/23/what-a-tourism-bubble-could-look-like-in-southeast-alaska-port-communities/

https://krbd.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Port-of-call-protocol-options-v7.1.11.17.20-Ketchikan.pdf

I looked at the Ketchikan bubble plan.  First of all, if I am restricted to the areas that the bubble seems to propose, I am 100% totally uninterested in visiting Ketchikan.  Second of all, they appear to be thinking about restricting visitors to only a small part of the city.  Ignoring the problem of how they will i insure that none of the locals bring covid into the restricted area, how do they plan to make sure that no visitors go outside of the area.  Are they planning to surround it w a barbed wire fence?  Again - not for me.  

I really think that if things sort of open within the US, we should get in our cars and visit some of the wonderful areas in our own country.  For example, there are 47 National Parks in the lower 48 and a total of 62 in the entire system.  How many of them have you visited?   I personally have been to 41 of the 62 total national parks in the National Park system.  The total of 62 includes several in Alaska that are essentially inaccessible and receive only a few thousand visitors per year.  So if you eliminate the inaccessible ones, I have been  47 of the 57 or 58 accessible ones.

DON

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I looked at the Ketchikan bubble plan.  First of all, if I am restricted to the areas that the bubble seems to propose, I am 100% totally uninterested in visiting Ketchikan.  Second of all, they appear to be thinking about restricting visitors to only a small part of the city.  Ignoring the problem of how they will i insure that none of the locals bring covid into the restricted area, how do they plan to make sure that no visitors go outside of the area.  Are they planning to surround it w a barbed wire fence?  Again - not for me.  

I really think that if things sort of open within the US, we should get in our cars and visit some of the wonderful areas in our own country.  For example, there are 47 National Parks in the lower 48 and a total of 62 in the entire system.  How many of them have you visited?   I personally have been to 41 of the 62 total national parks in the National Park system.  The total of 62 includes several in Alaska that are essentially inaccessible and receive only a few thousand visitors per year.  So if you eliminate the inaccessible ones, I have been  47 of the 57 or 58 accessible ones.

DON

But don't most people visit the national parks before or after the cruise?  I emailed Royal and they said the restrictions don't apply to pre or post cruise.

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

But don't most people visit the national parks before or after the cruise?  I emailed Royal and they said the restrictions don't apply to pre or post cruise.

My point was that instead of going on cruises where the precautions ruin the cruise experience , we just forget cruising and visit places that we can drive to in the United States.  That of course that we are allowed to go anywhere except to the bathroom in our own homes and the grocery stores.

DON

remember this article was written before the first doses of vaccine came out.  Im of the mindset that we should wait and see before jumping to conclusions.  Yes, there's a strong chance we will be limited but I dont see how if everyone is vaccinated and tested and numbers are down, the need to do this bubble.  Nothing we can do but wait and see though.  I do agree with visiting elsewhere.  We enjoy hiking and have visited quite a few places during this.  We are considering visiting grand canyon if our 2021 Alaska cruise is cancelled.  

Edited by jean87510

We currently have an AK cruise booked for May. I'm honestly hoping it's cancelled for a number of reasons, one of which being a "bubble" like this.  Why bother to even go if all we can do is shop in port?  I can do that at home.  No thanks.  I go to AK to see AK - not the stores.  But like one previous poster said, it's still a wait and see game. CV numbers continue to climb, and I'm sure that will still be the case following the Christmas holidays since people are still insisting on not following mask and social distancing guidelines.  Just my $0.02.

• Like 2

I absolutely agree that I hope my alaska 2021 cruise either goes with no restrictions or is cancelled.  I will say that I think people are tired of the clear double standards practiced by our congress people and scientists (latest faux pas was Dr. Birx).  I honestly don't see how you expect people to comply when the ones who chatise and recommend don't even follow their own "rules".  For the record, I do wear a mask when required with my face shield and/or goggles at work and I see people in management pulling their masks down to talk.  So what can one do?  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, LHARTWICK said:

We currently have an AK cruise booked for May. I'm honestly hoping it's cancelled for a number of reasons, one of which being a "bubble" like this.  Why bother to even go if all we can do is shop in port?  I can do that at home.  No thanks.  I go to AK to see AK - not the stores.  But like one previous poster said, it's still a wait and see game. CV numbers continue to climb, and I'm sure that will still be the case following the Christmas holidays since people are still insisting on not following mask and social distancing guidelines.  Just my $0.02.

It seems to me that shopping in port would be riskier than taking a ship excursion.  The ship and the ship excursion would be your bubble.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 4:09 PM, donaldsc said:

DON

And how many of those parks are available for people to visit?  How do you find out all the various rules, regulations and restrictions to visit the?

Many of us know by now your desire to have conditions perfect in order for you to travel.  Fortunately many will travel under current less than perfect condition.

Enjoy your travels if you ever get theright conditions to goagain.

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

And how many of those parks are available for people to visit?  How do you find out all the various rules, regulations and restrictions to visit the?

Many of us know by now your desire to have conditions perfect in order for you to travel.  Fortunately many will travel under current less than perfect condition.

Enjoy your travels if you ever get theright conditions to goagain.

Agree that at the present time, you can not just go into a park but you need a timed entry permit which means that it is a bit more difficult to visit them.  However, all you need to do to get a timed permit or to determine if one is even necessary is to log onto the web site for each park.  We were near Rocky Mtn. Natl. Park for the last summer and we got an entry permit several times.  You do need to plan your visit in advance but how hard is that?

DON

I doubt all those "North" cruises will be available anytime soon. I mean, one of those things I want to do is to catch a good deal cruise and just stick to it till the end. I am sure that if we start booking massively they will have no chance but to allow us to travel lol 

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

I doubt all those "North" cruises will be available anytime soon. I mean, one of those things I want to do is to catch a good deal cruise and just stick to it till the end. I am sure that if we start booking massively they will have no chance but to allow us to travel lol 

I assume that you are being facetious.

DON