Anyone here sail on the original QM?

Smitheroo

These reminiscences are great.

I have made digital copies of several vintage Cunard and US Lines luggage tags I've found over the years. I've made laminated luggage tags by editing them and adding my contact info. I use them on my laptop bag, knapsack, etc. A project on my list of to-dos is to convert them to editable PDFs. That way anyone could just type in their contact info and easily print them off.

A good friend of ours traveled on the Queen Mary as part of her student exchange. She still has her ticket, passenger list and the deck plan, showing her cabin (with several bunk beds).

Luggage Tags.jpg

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 3

I had the top two on the left. Just recently got rid of the suitcase that had the Cunard label stuck on its side (before 2013 when I rediscovered Cunard or I would definitely have kept it)  My mother kept her plane ticket when she came to the US in 1947 but did not think to keep the ship tickets. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 7:03 AM, johnsuttoncoldfield said:

I have contemplated visiting her at Long Beach, but fear that it will somehow spoil my memories if it has been over commercialized, maybe someday I will risk it.

My cruise line choices are now Cunard and Princess, but although I still enjoy cruising, they really cannot ever compare to RMS Queen Mary.

What wonderful memories are shared here!

My mother did a crossing on the Queen Mary and I stayed aboard her in Long Beach and visited a number of times when I lived in that area.  

Although she is a beautiful ship she does look a bit run down and there is (too me) an air of sadness about her.  

My first voyage was on the original Queen Elizabeth in 1965.  We crossed, in later years, three times on QE2 and twice on the SS France.  These were the real transatlantic liners.  IMO the QE2 cannot hold a candle to the Queen Elizabeth I.  The stately QE had class beyond anything sailing today.  The woodwork was a work of art.  The service was unparalleled. There is a world of difference between the old Cunard and the Trust House Forte and Carnival Cunard of later years.   

The Boat Train started at Waterloo Station in London.  Your luggage porter took the luggage from your cab as you entered the station.  You followed him to the train and he placed the luggage in the luggage car and you would not see it again until you received it in your cabin.  The train was split between First Class and Second Class.  The train would go nonstop all the way to Ocean Terminal next to the ship.  You would get off the train and go straight through to checkin.  Then you would make the grand ascent up the gangway and into the ship’s reception hall...all highly polished wood and loads of flowers.  It is no wonder that pax thought they were still on land.  I’ll never forget entering the reception hall on the QE...what a sight!  And I’ll never forget the smell of the wood polish and the flowers.  There was the grand staircase in First Class that was made with over 100 different types of wood with the design of a tree that reached up three decks high...an art work of true beauty, craftsmanship and artistry.  We had access to the whole ship even though the ship was divided into three classes.  The three class system was strictly enforced.  You had to learn the ways to interlope  between classes...LOL.  Our group of 200 people had the run of the ship which was granted to us by Captain James Treasures Jones.  I was just 16 years old and readily took advantage of our special status on QE.  We celebrated in the Third Class Observation Lounge every night with drinks and dancing to a live band into the night.  The food and service were the best.  We dined in the Cabin Class Restaurant and I had breakfast once in the First Class.  I even had our waiter save the menus for me.  Our July crossing was perfect.  We used the indoor pool every day.  I don’t think that I missed seeing any part of that ship.The QE was truly a great ship of state.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 3

On 1/15/2021 at 3:41 AM, Smokeyham said:

Although she is a beautiful ship she does look a bit run down and there is (too me) an air of sadness about her. 

I have to agree with you.  I've stayed on her twice, and the wear is noticeable just in the 5 or so years in the interim. Unless quite a bit of refurbishment is done, I'd be reluctant to stay again. Not because she's run down, but because I would find it so sad.

Assuming it takes place, we're booked on the QM2 Dutch Markets trip this December. I'm looking forward to seeing the S.S. Rotterdam, and perhaps having tea. I'm hoping she's in better condition.

Edited by frankp01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, frankp01 said:

I have to agree with you.  I've stayed on her twice, and the wear is noticeable just in the 5 or so years in the interim. Unless quite a bit of refurbishment is done, I'd be reluctant to stay again. Not because she's run down, but because I would find it so sad.

Assuming it takes place, we're booked on the QM2 Dutch Markets trip this December. I'm looking forward to seeing the S.S. Rotterdam, and perhaps having tea. I'm hoping she's in better condition.

My first cruise was on board the Rotterdam V and I have wonderful memories and am still in touch with friends I met on board.  Two of those friends met on board and were later married.

I would love to go to the City of Rotterdam and stay on board the ship again.  As you say, hopefully she is in good shape.

Aug 5, 1963. I sailed down the Hudson, my sister waving a hankie and a band playing from the end of the pier. I was on my way to Cherbourg with no return ticket and not enough money to come home. I was going to get a job in Europe: happily I did. This is the label on my Steamer trunk, which is in my basement  57 years later. My bunk mates were three women going to their Junior Year abroad assignments. The bathroom was down the hall.

We ate at assigned long bench tables. Our cockney waiter insisted that we change from American to English eating style. Our first course was always fish and he taught us how to bone a whole trout. I learned that dessert was called a pudding.

I remember one movie on the ship: TOM JONES.

it was a rough ride but we spent a great deal of time in the tourist class pub drinking “gin tonics” and learning English drinking songs. The gin tonics, they said, prevents seasickness and it worked.

In that day of garters, high heels and nylons, I dragged that darned steamer trunk a long way from the Queen Mary to the boat train. Hours later I was in Paris and my life really began.

Thanks for the topic, it’s put a big smile on my face. My next QM is June 16 if all goes well!image.thumb.jpeg.951aad40d35ecab0fa49034d8f823de9.jpeg

• Like 3

If anyone would like to experience the “Old Cunard” style of luxury, outstanding food and service go to “RMS Caronia Time Line”.  (Someone here please post the URL.). 
Peter Stevens, a former member of the RMS Caronia crew, has compiled an incredible time line of the Caronia’s history.  It is complete with personal notations, programs, menus and much more.  Reading this incredible work will give you an idea of what it was like to cruise onboard the premier cruise ship of its day.  Truly a history of a great Cunard ship that has taken more than 20 years to compile...an opus magnum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Just the name of it then

It also works for me as a hyperlink. Perhaps it is your address that is being blocked for some reason? (Are you using a VPN? I've had several sites do not load over my VPN, but do when I shut it off.)

The Web site the above link took me to is https://www.*****.info/home.php  If that still doesn't take you there, you might try a search for "RMS Caronia Timeline." This site showed up at the top of the list on my search. You'd be pretty sure your location is being blocked for some reason, if you can't get access from the search results.

2 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

I haven't tried it, I was just trying to explain why part of the address was *** out.

Apparently, leaving out the spaces in Caronia Time Line creates a problem for the censor bot.

Edited by ExArkie

Hello Folks,

Oh my, the  >> Caronia II Timeline  << has a sudden influx of visitors! Oh, and quality visitors too, thanks!

For a ship that foundered in the 1970s and stopped offering her own brand of luxury in the 1960s, I'm simply amazed at how much interest there still is in a ship which was truly my "university", so I hope that you have all enjoyed your visits. 

My thanks to CGTNormandie for his very kind introduction.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 3:00 PM, Host Hattie said:

Unfortunately it looks as if that link is being automatically blocked.

That could well be to do with the dot info address. I started out with this address a while before dot info sites came into widespread disrepute mainly due to unscrupulous users with their nefarious ways. It's something I've lived with because it was too late and I figured that if I last it out, the notoriety would eventually fade as these villains will inevitably move on.

I also made the mistake of adding a digital character into the address which apparently also adds to the suspicion. However, the number is vital as my Timeline has nothing to do with Caronia II's predecessor or her successor(s?).

I think the dot info bar is now probably outdated, but it's still place because the original reason for its imposition has been lost in the fast pace of t'interweb.

Regards,

Steve

On 1/20/2021 at 9:05 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

My father did when it was a Troop Ship during the War.

The stories he shared resembled a very uncomfortable crowded ship with guys all over the past.

Even sleeping on deck.

Bedding down with 12,000+ soldiers for 5 days or more during war time was no luxury cruise.

An old friend who fought in WW II once told me that conditions were so crowded that he used to bribe the galley workers and take a whole role of bologna an two loaves of bread.  He would make sandwiches down below so the men didn’t have to wait in line for chow.  I believe the Queen Mary set the record for the most men embarked during the war...15,000.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

I'm getting to this discussion a bit late about the term "caronia 2" (without the space) being censored by Cruise Critic. It's good to see that the term is only being censored from the text of the URL and not from the actual link itself. Nonetheless, I have asked about this on the "Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here!" forum. Here is the thread I started there if anyone wants to follow along with further discussion about that issue.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2770154-the-term-caronia-2-without-the-space-is-being-censored/

Many thanks, Smitheroo for starting this very interesting thread.  It is so much fun to read the memories of those who sailed on the original Queen Mary and other ships during that era.  I sailed on the original Queen Mary in 1967.  I was sailing with two college friends from New York to Southampton.   We were sailing in B143 in Cabin Class.  It was a very small cabin but I was very impressed by the rest of the ship.  I remember the exciting sail away from New York City with many spectators and lots of streamers. 

We had the same table and waiters for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  I had never eaten in such a magnificent restaurant and was overwhelmed by all the menu selections.  Fortunately, I still have some of the  menus.  We shared a table with other young people and it was a lot of fun.  Our British waiter was very kind to us and encouraged us to try new things. 

There was very little organized entertainment on the ship.  We enjoyed the movies and the musical programs.  We went to the very small gym and sat outside on deck.  We played card games and board games with some of our table mates.

Our captain was John Treasure Jones.  He had the honor of being the last captain of the ship when she sailed from Southampton to her current home in Long Beach.  He retired after that voyage.

We, also, took the boat train from the Ocean Terminal to London.

I never sailed on the QE, but I was fortunate enough to tour her when she was in Ft. Lauderdale in 1969.  When she was retired as a passenger ship, she was moved to Ft. Lauderdale.  The plan was that she would become a major tourist attraction.  Unfortunately, she was only there a couple of years because of financial problems.   She was then taken to Hong Kong.  In 1972 while she was being converted into a floating university, she burned.  (This is my memory of the final years of the QE.  Those of you who are ship historians may have corrections and additions.)

I didn't sail on another Cunard ship until the arrival of the QM2.  Since I had sailed on the original QM, I was very interested in the plans for the new ship.  I was also eager to sail on her.  I assumed it would be one sailing and marking that off of "my bucket list".  My husband and I had a lovely voyage on the QM2 in 2004.  What I didn't expect was that we would fall in love with the ship.   We have since sailed on  her several times and look forward to our next opportunity to get back on board.

Someone mentioned the reunions on the QM2 for those who sailed on the original Queen Mary.  I have attended several and they are always fascinating.  In the early years of the QM2,  they seemed to have them on every voyage.  They now seem to be held on transatlantic voyages.  It is always so interesting to hear the memories of those who sailed on the QM.  We have met WWII veterans and war brides.  We have also met some who were crew.  It is usually a lovely mix of passengers and a delightful event.

Thanks again for giving us the opportunity to share these memories.

Beth

Edited by imacruizer
  • Like 1