Do You Have A Favorite New Year's Eve or New Year's Day Dinner On A Cruise?

rkacruiser

For me, the menus offered almost always have fewer choices than the "non-Gala" menus.  Never quite understood this from the guest perspective, but, maybe less effort/time for the galley staff to prepare, etc.?  If so, that's OK by me.  

Never have been disappointed in any of those dinners as I recall.  But, none stand out as being--WOW!  I'd prefer a Pork and Sauerkraut entree on New Year''s Day, but that has not occurred.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I'd prefer a Pork and Sauerkraut entree on New Year''s Day, but that has not occurred. 

I'd like pork roast, black-eyed pea, rice and turnip greens for New Year's Day. I'm betting that's not ever served 🙂

• Like 1

I'm a simple man, when it comes to New Year's Eve.  As long as I have strong drinks to chug, a lively dance venue to party in, and a friendly lady to dance with, they can serve simple bologna sandwiches, for all I care.  It just has to be enough of them to soak up the booze.

For New Year's Day, I want something filling and hearty, to help nurse my killer hangover.  Something like a rich, cheesy, meaty pasta dish.  With a beer on the side, of course.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

Something that goes with Champagne and shrimp would be just about right.  Lots of Champagne...keep it light.

RK’s idea of pork and sauerkraut sounds good but sauerbraten would even be better!  For a heavy meal how about pork rib roast slowly roasted, Sauerbraten, Sauerkraut with fried onions in Riesling, red cabbage and raisins with molasses and German potato dumplings and/or potato latkes with sauerbraten gravy over all...yummmm!   And chilled Becks lager?

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

how about pork rib roast slowly roasted, Sauerbraten, Sauerkraut with fried onions in Riesling, red cabbage and raisins with molasses and German potato dumplings and/or potato latkes with sauerbraten gravy over all...yummmm!   And chilled Becks lager?

What time is dinner tomorrow?  

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

RK’s idea of pork and sauerkraut sounds good

This is my family's traditional New Year's Day dinner for "good luck" for the New Year.  (Where such a "tradition" came from....?)  Didn't have that on New Year's Day, 2020.  The Volendam's Executive Chef "failed" to include that on our dinner menu.  Look at how 2020 has turned out!

14 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

What time is dinner tomorrow?  

I have to let the beef sit in the brine for a week.  Sauerbraten takes time!  

This is my family's traditional New Year's Day dinner for "good luck" for the New Year.  (Where such a "tradition" came from....?)  Didn't have that on New Year's Day, 2020.  The Volendam's Executive Chef "failed" to include that on our dinner menu.  Look at how 2020 has turned out!

I hope you’re going to have it tomorrow...or we’ll end up with another horrendous year.  I’m trying to stay hopeful for 2021!

On 12/31/2020 at 5:26 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I hope you’re going to have it tomorrow...or we’ll end up with another horrendous year.  I’m trying to stay hopeful for 2021!

It is on my stove cooking as I type this.  The aroma is great!

I will eat a forkful for all of you.  We all need a better 2021 than we have experienced.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It is on my stove cooking as I type this.  The aroma is great!

I will eat a forkful for all of you.  We all need a better 2021 than we have experienced.

Thank you RK.  I’m lifting my glass right now to toast all of us for better luck in 2021!

• Like 1