Alaska Airlines is banning "Emotional Support Animals".

kevingastreich

It's about time that airlines started coming down on these 'emotional support' animals, and getting them out of the passenger cabins. 
True service animals are one thing, but I don't want to sit next to someone's 'support' critter. Next thing you know it will be a 'support' snake. 

Time to draw the line. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RuthC said:

It's about time that airlines started coming down on these 'emotional support' animals, and getting them out of the passenger cabins. 
True service animals are one thing, but I don't want to sit next to someone's 'support' critter. Next thing you know it will be a 'support' snake. 

Time to draw the line. 

Agreed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Time to draw the line. 

Oh, there have been support snakes.   https://www.freep.com/story/life/2015/09/11/debate-service-animals/72072992/  

The kangaroo in a diaper raised my eyebrows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So it will be interesting to see if there is any material change ( other than some species no longer qualified to fly). What type of proof are they requiring that the dog is a Service animal?

We're talking training and certification and proof thereof

Basically, a service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals

In addition, there's a big difference between a service animal/dog, i.e. a seeing eye or guide dog, a dog that alerts when its handler/owner (so someone with a disability) is about to have a seizure, etc. and, on the other end of the spectrum, what is identified as an emotional support animal

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

We're talking training and certification and proof thereof

Basically, a service animal is any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals

In addition, there's a big difference between a service animal/dog, i.e. a seeing eye or guide dog, a dog that alerts when its handler/owner (so someone with a disability) is about to have a seizure, etc. and, on the other end of the spectrum, what is identified as an emotional support animal

I understand, (and fully support the role of true service dogs), but how will this change prevent one from suddenly self-promoting their pet dog (or emotional support dog) to a “service animal”?  What proof will be required? (Self-declaration by signing a form?) It sounds like it’s only addressing species and what the dog’s job title.

(I’m thinking of reports on CC from the WC some years back where a woman had her little “service” dog who reportedly warned her about her blood pressure, but ran amok and was treated as a spoiled pet.)

2 of my granddaughters work in vet offices and have said that they are often harassed by people who want the paperwork that says their animals are "support" animals.  They eventually posted a sign on their door that said they would not issue them.  Some vets continue to do it.  

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I understand, (and fully support the role of true service dogs), but how will this change prevent one from suddenly self-promoting their pet dog (or emotional support dog) to a “service animal”?  What proof will be required? (Self-declaration by signing a form?) It sounds like it’s only addressing species and what the dog’s job title.

(I’m thinking of reports on CC from the WC some years back where a woman had her little “service” dog who reportedly warned her about her blood pressure, but ran amok and was treated as a spoiled pet.)

Morning Tioga, nice day out here 😉 To start off with, proof of the training and certification the animal received, and I'm not talking about a letter from a vet 

Btw, I was on that 'Grand Asia/Pacific' cruise back in 2014 on Amsterdam. That little dog - forgot her name at the moment, her owner had business cards made "certifying" the dog as an emotional support animal - was all over the ship, incl. on top of the tables inside the Lido. It allegedly had to be at her owners side 24 hrs a day. The issue arose that, starting with the first calls in Japanese ports (and continuing on in South Korea, the PRC, Indonesia, Australia, etc.) the local authorities did not allow the dog ashore/off the ship due to quarantine requirements.

So the little dog who had to be at her owner's side was left inside the front office in the care of Amsterdam's GRM and her female staff (the dog became aggressive towards male folk) while her owner went ashore to see the sights. Lots and lots of complaints directed at that owner/dog combo 

My answer to those who want to take an emotional support animal  of some sort on an aircraft or a cruise ship.....

Get yourself a pet rock or stay home.  The world does not revolve around you.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

So the little dog who had to be at her owner's side was left inside the front office in the care of Amsterdam's GRM and her female staff (the dog became aggressive towards male folk) while her owner went ashore to see the sights. Lots and lots of complaints directed at that owner/dog combo 

I'm just curious, in a case such as this where it seems pretty clear there was abuse of the rules, would HAL, for example, quietly mark her card and perhaps refuse to extend her the courtesy of being able to book again with the line?

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm just curious, in a case such as this where it seems pretty clear there was abuse of the rules, would HAL, for example, quietly mark her card and perhaps refuse to extend her the courtesy of being able to book again with the line?

Yes Ma'am!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KirkNC said:

We had one on the 2019 world cruise (I thinks when it was) that ran around Pinnacle and ended up biting someone.  Caused quite the ruckus, security had to get involved.

There were 2 dogs on the 2019WC. And they not only bit someone, but pooped in the Pinnacle!! The dogs were very ill behaved.

16 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I would think it would be self declaration without any proof required. They  would need to attest that it is not an emotional support dog as they are not allowed.  Could someone cheat?  Probably, but a signed form would eliminate most abusers.  

On 12/31/2020 at 9:25 AM, TiogaCruiser said:

Hey.....  Step in the right direction....   I know I always thought it was sort of funny until I got seated at the same table in the MDR with a lady with her precious little fluffball (Who "HAD" to be fed by hand in her lap.)   Only time in my life I have ever asked to be reseated. (In mid meal at that!)