Celebrity's Single Infinite Veranda staterooms; Celebrity Edge & Celebrity Apex

farmersfight

It's been kind of quiet in this Solo Cruisers forum (for awhile now) so I thought I'd post a new topic for discussion. Topic:

Celebrity Edge has 16 Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) staterooms. Her younger sister, Celebrity Apex will increase the # of SIV staterooms to 24. At 24, this is double the # of solo staterooms than RCL's Quantum class ships which have 12. This increase in the # of solo staterooms  (SIV's) on the new Celebrity Apex seems to indicate that Celebrity is increasing their marketing & capacity for solo cruisers.

Discuss.

Discuss GIFs | Tenor

Edited by farmersfight
  • Like 2

Advantage to Celebrity: The Edge-class ships are designed to (in theory) appeal to the younger side of their demographic with modern design and non-traditional elements which make some veteran cruisers unhappy (Magic Carpet, Eden's show). A solo cruiser seeking an experience which is grown-up but not stodgy may prefer the Celebrity vibe over the family-friendly floating amusement park that is the larger RCI ships. If you are willing to accept the Infinite Veranda is a balcony, the pricing on an ES cabin compares favorably to the pricing of a Quantum-class 2F + beverage package + wifi package + daily service charge. With more ES cabins per ship, it's easier to actually grab one of these solo cabins than to get a scarce 2F.

Advantage to RCI: Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Alaska are options with RCI, but not Edge-class Celebrity. Non-drinkers have no option to pay less for an alcohol-free beverage package on Celebrity but have several options on RCI including no beverage package at all. Bumper cars, laser tag, and Broadway shows are fun (and included). 

It's a draw. Hopefully I'll enjoy both versions enough to pick more on itinerary than cruise line. 

I don't know if either line is actively pursuing solos but they do offer the single-occupancy cabins with a real view unlike NCL and MSC. Nineteen of the 32 IS (interior studio) cabins on MSC Meraviglia are sandwiched between family balcony/oceanview cabins and have connecting doors to both family cabins. Nooooooooooo...

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, coastcat said:

Advantage to Celebrity: The Edge-class ships are designed to (in theory) appeal to the younger side of their demographic with modern design and non-traditional elements which make some veteran cruisers unhappy (Magic Carpet, Eden's show). A solo cruiser seeking an experience which is grown-up but not stodgy may prefer the Celebrity vibe over the family-friendly floating amusement park that is the larger RCI ships. If you are willing to accept the Infinite Veranda is a balcony, the pricing on an ES cabin compares favorably to the pricing of a Quantum-class 2F + beverage package + wifi package + daily service charge. With more ES cabins per ship, it's easier to actually grab one of these solo cabins than to get a scarce 2F.

Advantage to RCI: Australia, New Zealand, Asia, and Alaska are options with RCI, but not Edge-class Celebrity. Non-drinkers have no option to pay less for an alcohol-free beverage package on Celebrity but have several options on RCI including no beverage package at all. Bumper cars, laser tag, and Broadway shows are fun (and included). 

It's a draw. Hopefully I'll enjoy both versions enough to pick more on itinerary than cruise line. 

I don't know if either line is actively pursuing solos but they do offer the single-occupancy cabins with a real view unlike NCL and MSC. Nineteen of the 32 IS (interior studio) cabins on MSC Meraviglia are sandwiched between family balcony/oceanview cabins and have connecting doors to both family cabins. Nooooooooooo...

Thanks @coastcat for your insightful break-down and comparison of not only Celebrity & RCL, but with NCL & MSC as well.

I like your point about Celebrity's Edge-class ships. I am a little hesitant about cruising with Celebrity because of the "stodgy" factor (as you mentioned). Yeah, I consider myself one of those solo cruisers who would like a grown-up (but not stodgy) experience. I'm glad you described Celebrity in this way because I am seriously considering the Edge for an E. Caribbean cruise to San Juan, Tortola (I want to take that ferry over to Virgin Gorda and immerse myself in The Baths. Call this a "bucket list " item), & St. Maarten.

As a grown-up, I still have the "kid" in me (trying to stay "young at heart"), so I will be cruising on RCL's larger floating amusement parks (i.e. the Quantum-class in a studio balcony). Heck, RCL's behemoth Oasis-class ships are not only floating amusement parks, they are floating cities. I'll be trying one of those fairly soon as I am booked on the Allure OTS TA fm Port Everglades, FL to Barcelona, Spain. I am booked in an interior (Central Park view) balcony cabin. Where else but on an Oasis-class ship do you have interior balcony cabins??

Great to hear what you said about Celebrity's ES (Single Infinite Veranda) cabins comparing favorably in price with RCL's Quantum-class 2F (Super Studio Cabin w/balcony), due to the fact that you have to buy the beverage package (& other perks) with Celebrity whereas it is optional with RCL. I'll probably opt for the beverage package (+ other perks) with RCL anyway, so it is good to know that the price will compare favorably with Celebrity.

Yeah, we (solos) should have an easier time finding available ES cabins on Celebrity Edge (16 of them) and even better odds on her younger sister, Celebrity Apex (24 of them). I agree, it has hard to book RCL's 2F cabins on their Quantum-class ships (which have 12 of them). I am fortunately currently booked on the Anthem OTS & the Odyssey OTS in 2F cabins on both ships (I booked way in advance).

I totally agree, RCI's (and maybe even more so, NCL's) itineraries are much more wide-spread and global than Celebrity's Edge-class, which seem to be geographically limited (maybe with the new Edge-class, Celebrity is "easing them" into service by limiting the Edge's & Apex's itineraries?).

I did notice that about RCL, many of their onboard activities and attractions (i.e. bumper cars, laser tag) are included whereas NCL charges extra for similar activities and attractions (go-karts, laser tag). I'm not sure but, I hope RCL doesn't charge extra for the Flowrider or I-Fly on the Quantum-class ships because I plan on "hitting" those (again, the "kid" in me).

On MSC Meraviglia, 19 of 32 interior interior studio cabins are "sandwiched" between family cabins (balcony/oceanviews) with connecting doors? Wow, I just hope the walls are sound proof (doubt it) and that the connecting door can be locked.

Yes, both RCI and Celebrity offer studio cabins with balconies (verandas). This is why I am gravitating toward them (especially RCI) because even as a solo cruiser, I still love me a balcony! Well, at least NCL has improved things in their tiny (99 sq ft) studio cabins on their newer, larger BA+ class ships by installing those virtual windows (with live camera feeds of the outside). Better than staring at the wall, imo.

After what you said about pricing, I think I will give Celebrity a try (in one of those ES cabins). But, I better buy some new clothes, lol. Oh by the way, there may be another player in the solo cruising market. Believe it or not, Carnival (CCL). I am booked on both of Carnival's new Excel-class ships, Mardi Gras & Carnival Celebration in Junior Balcony cabins. These have the same size balconies as regular balcony cabins but are just a tad smaller (sq ft) in the cabin itself. With the smaller Junior Balcony cabins comes a smaller price, which makes them within reach of us solo cruisers (even with the solo supplement). I thought I wouldn't be cruising with CCL again now that I am a solo (and Carnival not being previously "solo friendly") but with this new Excel-class and their Junior Balcony cabins, it appears that solo cruisers are welcome aboard. Speaking of fun, I gotta try Bolt, the 1st roller coaster at sea (again, the kid in me).

Sorry for the small "novel" written in response here. Again, thanks for your thoughtful, insightful and informative post. Take care.

Marty (aka farmersfight)

Edited by farmersfight

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, MHF said:

The rooms themselves are a good idea but IMHO the location is dreadful, near the elevators and stairs.  I know some like being able to access decks quickly but I don't care for the noise.

Guess I'll find out. Just booked a Single Infinite Veranda (SIV) on Celebrity Apex. Yeah, I think you're right about them being close to the elevators and stairs (I'll have to take a look at the deck plans again). Also, I noticed that Celebrity has all these SIVs on the same deck, deck 6. RCL has their studio balcony cabins on 2 decks, decks 6 & 7. There is a bit of an obstructed view (lifeboats) looking down when you're on deck 6. But, I'll be looking out to the horizon mostly anyway, so no issue for me.

Edited by farmersfight

On 2/12/2021 at 3:27 PM, MHF said:

The rooms themselves are a good idea but IMHO the location is dreadful, near the elevators and stairs.  I know some like being able to access decks quickly but I don't care for the noise.

Looked at the deck plans. You're absolutely right. The Sing;e Infinite Veranda staterooms are close to the stairs and elevators. Since I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy, I'm looking at it as your last sentence above states; "some like to access decks quickly". And, I actually do. Hopefully, the noise won't be too bad. Fingers crossed 🤞.

• 1 month later...

I have only been on 1 Celebrity cruise and 1 RCL cruise but I like both of them.  In the last year I have had 4 on each canceled but still trying.  Now that my son is in Collège I am cruising Solo and love it except for the Single Supplement.  It makes it easier to cruise and not feel bad about paying double when I can get a solo cabin of any kind.  I like Celebrity because they are upscale and I notice the extra things they do and the extra things on the ship.  When they changed their pricing structure I contacted the office of the President of Celebrity and discussed the issues with Solo cruising.  With the solo cabins on the new ships I have and will be sailing on the new ships.  Currently I have 4 cruises booked with RCL and none of them in a Solo cabin because they fill up quick or I am on ships that do not have them.  I am looking forward to RCL because they help me feel young and they are a floating city.

Now with that said NCL is the ones that are really catering to Solo Cruisers.  I have been on two cruises and stayed in their Solo Cabins.  They are only 99 sf and only inside rooms but I still like them.  The best thing is NCL has a Solo Lounge and supply a Solo Cruise Director to make sure you have fun.  On my Getaway TA we had to go to the Cruise Director and get the Solo Cruise Director changed but after that we had a very active solo group of 75+ cruisers.

Now if we could just get a ship doing a World Cruise full of Solo Cabins I would retire today to make sure I was on it.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

Now with that said NCL is the ones that are really catering to Solo Cruisers.

I agree. Also, I have found that RCI has become very "solo friendly". They have those studio balcony cabins on their Quantum-class ships. On top of that, they frequently run their "60% off the 2nd guest" sale which effectively lowers our solo supplement down to 40% and allows us to book the larger regular cabins (for me, balcony cabins).

Then with Celebrity's (owned by RCI) new ships the Edge & Apex, there are those Single Infinite Veranda staterooms. Edge has 16 and Apex will have 24. To compare, RCI's Quantum-class ships have 12 studio balcony cabins.

But, I give full props to NCL for really looking out for us solo cruisers. With the numerous studio cabins on their BA & BA+ class ships (although tight at only 99 sq ft), the studio lounges and the assigned solo director. I will be trying NCL's solo program out as I am booked on Norwegian Encore & Norwegian Getaway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone actually stayed in one of these single cabins?  I booked one for a September Edge cruise and am interested in your experience.  The cabin I booked (6218) is not listed as an obstructed view.  It just is smaller size but still has the infinite veranda.  

Celebrity Edge Cabin 6218 - Category ES - Edge Single Stateroom with Infinite Veranda 6218 on iCruise.com

• Like 2

6 hours ago, basenji56 said:

Has anyone actually stayed in one of these single cabins?  I booked one for a September Edge cruise and am interested in your experience.  The cabin I booked (6218) is not listed as an obstructed view.  It just is smaller size but still has the infinite veranda.  

Celebrity Edge Cabin 6218 - Category ES - Edge Single Stateroom with Infinite Veranda 6218 on iCruise.com

You'll have to report back!

Oh, and please take good care of that cabin - I'm booked in 6218 for a March 2022 cruise. My TA verified that it's a 0% obstructed view but I think that only refers to having no lifeboat equipment sticking up. Your view straight down will still be blocked by the lifeboat, at least from what I've seen in photos. NBD.

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, coastcat said:

You'll have to report back!

Oh, and please take good care of that cabin - I'm booked in 6218 for a March 2022 cruise. My TA verified that it's a 0% obstructed view but I think that only refers to having no lifeboat equipment sticking up. Your view straight d inown will still be blocked by the lifeboat, at least from what I've seen in photos. NBD.

Wow, booked in the exact same stateroom, what a coincidence! I'm booked on the Apex in a SIV. Not sure about possible partially obstructed views (looking down at the lifeboars) on Apex, I do know about RCI's studio balcony cabins on their Quantum- class ships. You may have that partially obstructed view on deck 6 but you're o.k.one deck higher on deck 7. Speaking of, I was booked in a studio balcony cabin on deck 6 on Odyssey of the Seas. RCI just sent me an e-mail notifying me that they are moving me to another studio balcony that does not have a partially obstructed view. They are going to send me another e-mail with my new cabin # but I am assuming that they are moving me up to a studio balcony on deck 7. Sweet! Thanks RCI.

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

Wow, booked in the exact same stateroom, what a coincidence! I'm booked on the Apex in a SIV. Not sure about possible partially obstructed views (looking down at the lifeboars) on Apex, I do know about RCI's studio balcony cabins on their Quantum- class ships. You may have that partially obstructed view on deck 6 but you're o.k.one deck higher on deck 7. Speaking of, I was booked in a studio balcony cabin on deck 6 on Odyssey of the Seas. RCI just sent me an e-mail notifying me that they are moving me to another studio balcony that does not have a partially obstructed view. They are going to send me another e-mail with my new cabin # but I am assuming that they are moving me up to a studio balcony on deck 7. Sweet! Thanks RCI.

When Mariner redeployed, RCI did me a “favor” by moving me from a partially obstructed view balcony to an unobstructed view one. Nope, I made them put me right back in my original cabin - because they had moved me to an ordinary midship balcony from my carefully selected corner aft balcony cabin. 

Well, if you’re moving from a deck 6 2F to a deck 7 one, it actually is an improvement in terms of view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

When Mariner redeployed, RCI did me a “favor” by moving me from a partially obstructed view balcony to an unobstructed view one. Nope, I made them put me right back in my original cabin - because they had moved me to an ordinary midship balcony from my carefully selected corner aft balcony cabin. 

Well, if you’re moving from a deck 6 2F to a deck 7 one, it actually is an improvement in terms of view.

That is what I am thinking; that they are just moving me up to deck 7. All these 2F's are located in the same area of the ship (basically mid-ship, a little aft), port & starboard (6 on deck 6 and 6 more on deck 7). I shall see when they send me the next e-mail actually identifying the cabin #. It's like waiting for my Christmas present!

Now if RCI would do the same thing on the other Quantum-class ship I am booked on (Anthem  OTS). I am also booked on Ovation OTS but somehow I ended up in a regular balcony cabin. Oh, now I remember; it's because of RCI's 60% off the 2nd guest promo (very "solo friendly"). So, a balcony stateroom with a bit more sq. , which will be appreciated because I will be doing a B2B2B (Sydney to Vancouver -> 37 days on board Ovation!).

2 hours ago, farmersfight said:

That is what I am thinking; that they are just moving me up to deck 7. All these 2F's are located in the same area of the ship (basically mid-ship, a little aft), port & starboard (6 on deck 6 and 6 more on deck 7). I shall see when they send me the next e-mail actually identifying the cabin #. It's like waiting for my Christmas present!

Now if RCI would do the same thing on the other Quantum-class ship I am booked on (Anthem  OTS). I am also booked on Ovation OTS but somehow I ended up in a regular balcony cabin. Oh, now I remember; it's because of RCI's 60% off the 2nd guest promo (very "solo friendly"). So, a balcony stateroom with a bit more sq. , which will be appreciated because I will be doing a B2B2B (Sydney to Vancouver -> 37 days on board Ovation!).

And you’ve seen, I hope, that Odyssey OTS (complete with Studio Balconies) moves to Fort Lauderdale in early November? 

It’ll be interesting to compare the “feel” of the Studio Balcony to the Single Infinite Veranda. Will the design of the Celebrity version make it feel more airy and open, or will the integrated design make it feel more like an ocean view as compared to the Studio with its clear separation between indoor & outdoor space? 

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

And you’ve seen, I hope, that Odyssey OTS (complete with Studio Balconies) moves to Fort Lauderdale in early November? 

It’ll be interesting to compare the “feel” of the Studio Balcony to the Single Infinite Veranda. Will the design of the Celebrity version make it feel more airy and open, or will the integrated design make it feel more like an ocean view as compared to the Studio with its clear separation between indoor & outdoor space? 

Yes I have. I'm booked on Odyssey OTS for Feb 26 - March 6, 2022 out of Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). I'll report back to you  with the comparison of RCI's studio balcony cabins vs Celebrity's Single Infinite Verandas because I will be on Anthem OTS about a month before Odyssey OTS.

I believe with the Single Infinite Verandas, the veranda has 2 large window panes, one above the other. The upper window pane lowers down flush with the lower window pane, creating the open-air balcony. Between the balcony and the stateroom, there are folding doors which can be opened allowing the stateroom to "blend" right into the veranda hence the term "infinite;

Edge Stateroom Picture   Edge Stateroom Picture