Hesitant to book, worried about them folding - insurance question

MNgardens

There are a few 2022 itineraries that I really like. However my husband and I are hesitant to deposit on Windstar due to concerns about the post covid viability of the cruise line.

My travel agent forwarded me the list of covered supplier for Allianz insurance should there be a cease in operation. Here is text https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/about/covered-suppliers.htm

Here is the link in the text for the covered suppliers https://azcontent.us/covered-supplier-list-pdf?source=travel&medium=referral

How concerned do I need to be that Windstar is not on the list? Do you all have trip insurance through another company that does have Windstar listed?

Because the website doesn't have a way to do a dummy booking, I don't even know how much money would be at stake in a deposit. Do you have a rule of thumb like the deposit is 20% of the fare? My last three cruises have been on Azamara so I am not up to date on Windstar deposits. This would be for 6 people so it could add up to real money. (The Azamara deposits for the cruises I have been looking at are running about $1100 per stateroom of 2 people.)

Thanks for all advice and opinions.

I booked a Windstar cruise in July for April 2021.  The T&C state that a 15% deposit is required to secure a booking, and my original invoice was exactly that.  But when I added Windstar's CFAR insurance and the All-In package, the deposit shot up to around 18%.  So, it started out less than Azamara's flat $1,100 per cabin but ended up even more.  I can't figure it out, but it's academic to me now because the cruise is cancelled and I will be getting it back (someday).

I booked a windstar cruise very close to the date, just before they went bankrupt.  I was worried sick about it, but it all worked out. I can't promise anything, but my sense is that windstar is not in any real trouble yet.  I actually applaud them cancelling further out than other lines, that are in the cycle of taking  money, then final payment and waiting 2-3 months for a refund.  I do not see any action that makes windstar look desperate.

4 minutes ago, msears101 said:

I booked a windstar cruise very close to the date, just before they went bankrupt.  I was worried sick about it, but it all worked out. I can't promise anything, but my sense is that windstar is not in any real trouble yet.  I actually applaud them cancelling further out than other lines, that are in the cycle of taking  money, then final payment and waiting 2-3 months for a refund.  I do not see any action that makes windstar look desperate.

Did you mean to say ‘bankrupt’?

• 1 month later...

Different travel insurance companies have different rules about bankruptcy.   I would definitely look into 3rd party insurance.  

Two 3rd party travel insurance agents are: insuremytrip.com  and squaremouth.com

FYI, I only know Xanterra because I have stayed in their properties at national parks  (eg, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Zion National Park).  Honestly the mix of a cruise line with park properties seems a little strange to me.