Outrigger Waikiki Beach

bookbabe

Has anyone stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach over a busy holiday period?  How is it for crowds?  The pool seems very small, and I’ve read a few reviews online about crowds blocking hallways waiting to get into Duke’s and about lack of availability of chairs by the pool, etc.

We were originally planning to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village next December for a few nights pre-cruise, but since they seem to not want short stays over the holiday period or haven’t released their inventory yet (no rooms available for our dates) we booked the Outrigger instead based on one of DH’s work colleagues’ recommendation.  They didn’t stay there during a busy time, though.  We had figured the size and number of pools, restaurants, etc. at HHV would help to eat up the crowds, but the Outrigger seems a lot smaller.

Thoughts?

Edited by bookbabe

On 1/1/2021 at 2:34 PM, bookbabe said:

Has anyone stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki Beach over a busy holiday period?

To qualify everything I'm about to say, I have not stayed specifically at the Outrigger, but have stayed on that stretch of Waikiki countless times. 

On 1/1/2021 at 2:34 PM, bookbabe said:

The pool seems very small, and I’ve read a few reviews online about crowds blocking hallways waiting to get into Duke’s and about lack of availability of chairs by the pool, etc.

It's common for hotels on Waikiki to have small pools-- the Royal Hawaiian has one thats essentially the size of an oversized round hot tub. If you want a really large hotel pool experience, and still be right on the main stretch of Waikiki The Sheraton is worth looking at. 

From everything you are saying, I would seriously take a look at the three Marriott properties-- Westin Moana Surfrider, the Sheraton, or The Royal Hawaiian. The Westin and Sheraton can feel a little more crowded-- the Royal Hawaiian is positioned a bit more upmarket and tends to be a little more low key crowd wise, even during busy times. The belle of the ball of Waikiki hotels is the Halekulani which I believe is still closed-- but even then, it doesn't have the beach front position of the other three i mentioned and it can be very expensive. 

The largest pool of the three of them, and really the only major true resort pool on the beach, is at the Sheraton (the Hilton Hawaiian Village has one of a similar size, but I don't really consider the Hilton Hawaiian Village to be on Waikiki proper). The Royal Hawaiian's, while small, is never crowded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

To qualify everything I'm about to say, I have not stayed specifically at the Outrigger, but have stayed on that stretch of Waikiki countless times. 

It's common for hotels on Waikiki to have small pools-- the Royal Hawaiian has one thats essentially the size of an oversized round hot tub. If you want a really large hotel pool experience, and still be right on the main stretch of Waikiki The Sheraton is worth looking at. 

From everything you are saying, I would seriously take a look at the three Marriott properties-- Westin Moana Surfrider, the Sheraton, or The Royal Hawaiian. The Westin and Sheraton can feel a little more crowded-- the Royal Hawaiian is positioned a bit more upmarket and tends to be a little more low key crowd wise, even during busy times. The belle of the ball of Waikiki hotels is the Halekulani which I believe is still closed-- but even then, it doesn't have the beach front position of the other three i mentioned and it can be very expensive. 

The largest pool of the three of them, and really the only major true resort pool on the beach, is at the Sheraton (the Hilton Hawaiian Village has one of a similar size, but I don't really consider the Hilton Hawaiian Village to be on Waikiki proper). The Royal Hawaiian's, while small, is never crowded. 

Thanks.  We had looked at the Moana and the Royal, but decided they’re a bit old for us.  The rooms seem kind of small, and many don’t have balconies as far as we could tell.  Price-wise, we’d have to match what we are currently paying for a Diamond Head 1 bdrm suite at the Outrigger to get a decent regular room that fits our needs at either of its neighbors.

We didn’t look at the Sheraton, though.  I’ll take a glance at that.  DH would like a decent pool, but he’d rather have a good room/suite with a balcony and stellar views than the pool.  We’ve got a week at Aulani post-cruise, so he will get plenty of pool time there.

Thanks again

The Sheraton Waikiki is horrendous, especially at crowded times. I like both Outriggers (Outrigger Waikiki & Outrigger Reef) better than the HHV. The only way I stay at the HHV is either in the Ali'i Tower because it has a private pool and private check-in. The other 8 towers all use one main check-in.

Crowds at Duke's have little to do with the hotel since the lobby is a separate area.

The Royal Hawaiian is great and they share the main pool with the Sheraton. The small pool at the Royal is the adults only pool. You can see the main pool here.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bookbabe said:

We had looked at the Moana and the Royal, but decided they’re a bit old for us.  The rooms seem kind of small, and many don’t have balconies as far as we could tell.

Both the Royal Hawaiian and Moana are of a much higher quality than the Outrigger which I always have had the impression going in, out, and around it is very outdated (read "stuck in time" in not a flattering way). The Royal Hawaiian is the nicest of the lot. 

I agree with the comment about the Sheraton-- it can be overcrowded and the building is frankly not that charming, but they do have a big resort pool, which, you can also access as a guest of the Royal Hawaiian (although Sheraton guests cannot access the RH's pool in reverse). 

I would really consider the RH again. I realize price wise it is going to be a bit more than the Outrigger-- but trading off the suite for a better overall experience isn't the end of the world-- we never spend any time in our room when we're there. They do have a more modern tower with balconies which is all club floor rooms. I personally prefer the rooms in the historic wing but you can get all the things you want in the tower and I think you'll find it a lot nicer than the Outrigger. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I’ll talk to DH, see what he thinks.  Don’t know if he’ll go for anything without a separate bedroom area and a balcony with a good view, though.  Or at least something bigger than a standard room.  Although, we’re only there for a couple of nights, maybe he’ll surprise me.

On 1/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, princeton123211 said:

Both the Royal Hawaiian and Moana are of a much higher quality than the Outrigger which I always have had the impression going in, out, and around it is very outdated (read "stuck in time" in not a flattering way). The Royal Hawaiian is the nicest of the lot. 

I agree with the comment about the Sheraton-- it can be overcrowded and the building is frankly not that charming, but they do have a big resort pool, which, you can also access as a guest of the Royal Hawaiian (although Sheraton guests cannot access the RH's pool in reverse).

The Outrigger hotels have both been through renovations not too long ago. The big knock on them from some people are the pool areas. The Reef pool is in an interior courtyard (which is fine by me, but no ocean view). The Waikiki Beach Outrigger pool is tiny, but on the beach.

The  Helumoa Playground pool is shared equally by the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton. The pool was built on Royal Hawaiian grounds. Then each hotel has a separate adults only pool just for the guests of the respective hotel. The Sheraton's adult infinity pool is amazing......  or would be if the Sheraton had 350 rooms, not 1700. The canned hotel pics of it never show what the awful crowding is actually like.

Here is the picture worth 10,000 words. Sheraton (left) - Royal Hawaiian Center.

You can see the great beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian and the great hulking, soulless concrete Sheraton that should never have been approved.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

scottca075;  I always like walking thru the lobby of the Sheraton; but not stay there.  I normally stay at the military hotel Hale Koa.  You mention the HHV as too big with five towers;  each tower has its own pool;  there are five pools at that hotel.  The HHV is our crew hotel when we flew in and out of Honolulu.  Yes its big; but its a nice hotel.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 1:11 PM, AF-1 said:

You mention the HHV as too big with five towers;  each tower has its own pool;  there are five pools at that hotel.  The HHV is our crew hotel when we flew in and out of Honolulu.  Yes its big; but its a nice hotel.

HHV is one of the largest hotels in the world and is the largest hotel in the U.S. outside of Las Vegas. It has EIGHT towers, Rainbow, Lagoon, Diamond Head, Kalia, Tapa, Grand Waikikian, Grand Islander and Ali'i. Only Ali'i has its own private pool and private check-in.

On 2/26/2021 at 2:53 PM, AF-1 said:

The Ali'i tower must be for high rollers.  Thanks

It's basically as if they made an entire tower the "club level" of the hotel. We stayed there ages ago (this is pushing 20 years from what I can remember) and you used to have a bunch of add ons like breakfast and snacks etc. Not sure what the current offering is. 

You also have a club level tower over at the Royal Hawaiian-- Mailani Tower which is next door to the historic hotel. You have a lounge with free breakfast and snacks throughout the day. Frankly though the rooms in the historic main hotel building are bigger and much more atmospheric. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ashland;  I was stationed in Hawaii back in the 70's.  Dukes was my fav place to eat dinner and watch the sun go down.  They used to have a band there called SOS.  Great times.  Thanks for sharing the good vibes about the Outrigger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Outrigger many times. It is a wonderful hotel.  The Sheraton Moana Surfrider is also wonderful.  The lobby however is noisy and busy.  Waikiki is very noisy and busy.  We have been there in Feb May Sept and Oct and it is busy no matter what time of year. Make sure you get a room that is not near the street.  It is busy until wee hours of the morning. If you want to be close to things in Waikiki with restaurants galore this is a great location. 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, bookbabe said:

Thanks.  We had looked at the Moana and the Royal, but decided they’re a bit old for us.  The rooms seem kind of small, and many don’t have balconies as far as we could tell.  Price-wise, we’d have to match what we are currently paying for a Diamond Head 1 bdrm suite at the Outrigger to get a decent regular room that fits our needs at either of its neighbors.

I guess I missed these comments earlier.

Yes the Moana and Royal Hawaiian are older hotels, but they are luxury hotels that have been kept up to date. The Moana has lanais (balconies) in the Surfrider Tower and the Royal Hawaiian has lanais in the Mailani Tower, which has spectacular rooms and suites.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:21 PM, mauimary said:

We have stayed at the Outrigger many times. It is a wonderful hotel.  The Sheraton Moana Surfrider is also wonderful.

The Moana hasn't been a "Sheraton" for quite sometime. When they did a refresh back in the late 2000s they also did upgrades so the hotel is officially called The Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort now.

Hawaii does has slower periods, but is never slow during a holiday period, pandemics excepted.

With the bad (crowds) comes the good though. Honolulu and Waikiki are amazing during Christmas time.

• Thanks 1

scottca075.  I agree with Christmas in Hawaii.  When I was stationed at Hickam in the 70's used to watch the fireworks on New Year's which were amazing.  The crowds on New Year's Eve in Waikiki were large; but the show was worth it. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 2:11 PM, AF-1 said:

scottca075;  I always like walking thru the lobby of the Sheraton; but not stay there.  I normally stay at the military hotel Hale Koa.  You mention the HHV as too big with five towers;  each tower has its own pool;  there are five pools at that hotel.  The HHV is our crew hotel when we flew in and out of Honolulu.  Yes its big; but its a nice hotel.

I love the Hale Koa! Even with the Hilton points I have I plan to stay at Hale Koa when I am there in 2023. I love the garden area.