Honolulu using public transportation

trbarton

14 minutes ago, trbarton said:

Someone posted information about using public transportation going around the island with the bus numbers & where to get off. Anyone have any information?

We took the circle island bus trip. It's been several years and don't know if it's still offered. The only stop worthwhile is the Dole Plantation. Rode past the property used the the Magnum TV show, but you can't see anything from the bus. Yes, you really get a feel for this whole island, but you will tire of the trip long before you return. We were not on a cruise and had extra time. I would not recommend it when on a cruise and in port for one day.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, trbarton said:

I’m looking but haven’t found anything useful yet. I’ll keep looking. 

Tom

okay, search:  THE BUS Honolulu

tripadvisor has current reviews 

53 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Not Honolulu obviously but, if you get to Hilo, the Hoppa On Hoppa Off bus is a pretty good deal. Not expensive and you get to a lot of good places.

Thanks!  I’ll look into that. 

Happy New Year to you & your family. 

Tom

Da Bus is an economical way to get around the island, but not always the most efficient.  If you wanted to use Honolulu transportation to get you from point A to point B, it might be useful.  I would recommend renting a car for the day.  Your time will be used more wisely.  Driving on Oahu is very simple.  There's always water (makai) on one side and the mountain (mauka) on the other.  You will never really get lost.

I can't remember the last time I rode da bus (maybe 55 years ago???).  Our great bus system can be credited to Mayor Fasi.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Driving on Oahu is very simple.  There's always water (makai) on one side and the mountain (mauka) on the other.  You will never really get lost.

Except trying to pronounce and remember some of the street names can be a pain. 

2 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Except trying to pronounce and remember some of the street names can be a pain. 

we have always rented a car for island vacations there, but traffic can really slow you down. Not recommended for a cruise stop. 

• Like 1

In 2014 we took The Bus from our hotel on the beach in Honolulu to Diamondhead.  Then it was only $1 per person for seniors.  Coming back we tried to pay again but the driver saw we had the stubs from when we came and said we didn't have to pay again.

Edited by EllieinNJ

5 hours ago, dog said:

we have always rented a car for island vacations there, but traffic can really slow you down. Not recommended for a cruise stop. 

We have rented a car twice for cruise ship stops in Honolulu.  PLENTY of time!  The last time we drove completely around the island... well, as completely as you can anyways.  There is lots of beautiful scenery and plenty of places to stop and view it.  We even had time at the end to stop at Ala Moana mall, return the car, and go back to the ship for dinner.  Usually the port stop is til at least 10 pm or 11 pm but rental car places close much earlier.  My suggestion is to be off the ship as early as possible because the rental car places can be busy with other cruisers and you don't want to waste time waiting in a line.

If I remember correctly the nearest bus stop to Waikiki area is at Ala Moana Blvd & Punch Bowl St. This is close to Pier 2, but a little walk from the Aloha Tower. The return bus is on Kuhio Ave. I think it's bus 39. Seniors were $1. If you just wish to go downtown believe Uber is a better option. I know Robert's Tours have had bus tours in the past, but they are mostly geared to hotel guests and not ships.

We have walked downtown many times. It's around 4 1/2 miles one way. Then we took the bus back to the pier.

Here is some good info for the public bus transportation system on Oahu.  

Riding the Bus on Oahu | Hawaii.com

We used it on Oahu in the past from Waikiki Beach back to the Aloha Towers, where our ship was docked.  Of course, it goes many other places.  It was inexpensive and the buses were clean and timely, as I recall.  

9 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Here is some good info for the public bus transportation system on Oahu.  

Riding the Bus on Oahu | Hawaii.com

We used it on Oahu in the past from Waikiki Beach back to the Aloha Towers, where our ship was docked.  Of course, it goes many other places.  It was inexpensive and the buses were clean and timely, as I recall.  

Plus, the passengers AND the drivers are very friendly & helpful.

One lady asked us where we were going and when we told her she told us to get off with her because that was her stop.

• Like 1

We found it in a news article many years ago and intended to tour the island that way, but the reality made us change our minds. We took the bus simply from one end of Waikiki to the other, and I was so motion sick, there was no way I’d be able to endure the entire island that way. Plus it takes forever because of all the stops. We rented a car instead, and though the traffic getting back into Honolulu was ATROCIOUS, we enjoyed the rest of the drive and the freedom to breathe fresh air from our convertible and stop anytime/anywhere we wanted. 

Driving depends on the day, timing, and direction.  Saturday and Sunday arrivals are best, but car rental agencies are on reduced hours.  

You will encounter bottlenecks, traffic, and accidents that will definitely slow the process.  Give yourself plenty of time, relax, and enjoy your sightseeing.  It is surprising that directional aids do a pretty good job with pronouncing street names.  It's very syllabic.  You really can't get lost.

• 2 months later...

Tom, that is great information if you're going to be on Oahu for a few days or more.  We have been a few times and took the bus "around the island" twice.  It is a great way to get the feel of Hawaii and see it in a general sense. Thanks for the tip, as I am sure it will help someone.