Follow Topic

I have a gmail e-mail address. About two years ago, the notifications stopped coming.

a) ads from Cruise Critic came through, so the problem was nopt the e-mail address

b) at the same time a number of other e-mails from various sources also stopped coming but ads from those same sources continued to come through

c) The missing e-mails did not go to G-mail spam.

d) When I switched some of the sources to you yahoo e-mail, they came through. Putting them back to g-mail and they stopped again.

I figure G-mail folk changed something to effectively reject messages, but I have no idea what.

I do not know if you have a g-mail address or not, but that has been my experience.

If you go into your account in upper right hand of cruise critic page;  click on your screen name and it will show a drop down list;  click on manage followed content.  You should be able to adjust,  add, delete, edit from there.  Cheers

11 hours ago, caribill said:

I have a gmail e-mail address. About two years ago, the notifications stopped coming.

a) ads from Cruise Critic came through, so the problem was nopt the e-mail address

b) at the same time a number of other e-mails from various sources also stopped coming but ads from those same sources continued to come through

d) When I switched some of the sources to you yahoo e-mail, they came through. Putting them back to g-mail and they stopped again.

I figure G-mail folk changed something to effectively reject messages, but I have no idea what.

I do not know if you have a g-mail address or not, but that has been my experience.

5 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I use Yahoo, and also stopped getting notifications from CC, except ads to book a cruise.

I received my notifications for years through Yahoo. Several years back CC had a problem with Yahoo passing emails through so I swithed to Gmail. Have not had a problem since.

That said, I found I needed to contact CC, and in those communications, I learned CC was trying to determine the problem with that email service. Might want to try writing CC.

1 hour ago, TheRabbit said:

I received my notifications for years through Yahoo. Several years back CC had a problem with Yahoo passing emails through so I swithed to Gmail. Have not had a problem since.

That said, I found I needed to contact CC, and in those communications, I learned CC was trying to determine the problem with that email service. Might want to try writing CC.

I did about a year ago, and they could not figure out why I was not getting the e-mails.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:23 PM, trbarton said:

Anyone know when I check “Follow Topic” I never receive any messages?...

@trbarton

Howdy Tom! emo22.gif

Make sure you have the Cruise Critic addresses cruisecritic@invisioncloudcommunity.com and community@cruisecritic.com white listed and/or on your safe senders list & in your Address Book contacts.

Make sure we have your correct email address as your Cruise Critic email address of record. If it is not current, please see How to: Change your Cruise Critic Email Address or User Name

Not sure how many email notifications you are receiving per day or at a time but it could be your email provider is aggressive to prevent spam. Thinking that multiple emails in a row from Cruise  Critic would be spam, they bounce one of the Cruise Critic emails back to Cruise Critic. Once one of the Cruise Critic notification emails to you is bounced back to Cruise Critic, then the Cruise Critic software stops sending you any further notification emails. You might want to email help@cruisecritic.com from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name. Explain the possible bouncing situation and ask if anything can be done by Cruise Critic.

Have your notifications so that they do not overwhelm your email provider and cause their spam defense to kick in. If it works for you, choose the notification setting that states: Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community. You can find your settings here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/notifications/options/

Make sure you open and read some of the Notification emails. Deleting without reading can make your email provider think that you don't want those emails.

Make sure you do not mark the Notification emails as spam.

Hope something in this reply will be helpful! 🤞

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

20 hours ago, caribill said:

Thanks!  I use AOL. It’s real puzzling. 

Tom🤔

5 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Once one of the Cruise Critic notification emails to you is bounced back to Cruise Critic, then the Cruise Critic software stops sending you any further notification emails.

About two weeks ago Google had a big problem that among other things caused Gmail to reject many valid addresses for a few hours.

So if Gmail rejected any emails from Cruise Critic during that problem, does that mean there could be a number of people who had their Cruise Critic messages automatically stopped?

My notifications are sporadic also. I have hotmail.  Occasionally I will get up to 8 e.mails a day then it drops to one or two which is what I set my preferences to.Often I will refresh my open tabs and find that there are many new posts I was not notified off so I just do that every day.

13 hours ago, caribill said:

... So if Gmail rejected any emails from Cruise Critic during that problem, does that mean there could be a number of people who had their Cruise Critic messages automatically stopped?

Almost anything is possible. emo34.gif As stated before...

19 hours ago, Host Kat said:

... You might want to email help@cruisecritic.com from your current Cruise Critic email address of record and mention your user name...